jim_p_price7

join:2005-10-28
Henryetta, OK
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..
reply to WernerSchutz

Re: so, upgrade...

said by WernerSchutz:

"How about this: It's their company, they provide the service, you pay the bill. That's the deal. Anytime you're unhappy with the service, choose another ISP."

Cannot be done in many places due to the monopoly and duopoly collusion system setup by the incumbents.

I understand completely! Really I do. I was faced with the same thing, so I started my own local WISP. I was my own first customer, and then I went out and got customers of my own. Now I have a real chance to run things MY way, but I'll tell you, it's an eye opener.

Once you've run an ISP you see the other side of the table, and you'll feel like a dumbass for half the things you used to spout off about before you knew what you were talking about - and that's my whole point here. It's very easy to sit back in a forum and slam an ISP when the only perspective you have is that of a consumer (I use "you" as the understood you, not you personally).

WernerSchutz

join:2009-08-04
Sugar Land, TX

I will give it a thought, I did think about it before. Funny that the ONLY provider I could get my connection to create the WISP would be CC.

jim_p_price7

join:2005-10-28
Henryetta, OK
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..

said by WernerSchutz:

I will give it a thought, I did think about it before. Funny that the ONLY provider I could get my connection to create the WISP would be CC.

Yep - I backhauled mine from 11 miles away. Started with a single business circuit. Now I have two, and four transmission sites. If people are hurting for the service, you can do well if you treat them right. But beware...it is MUCH harder than you can imagine.