share rss forum feed

jvmorris
I Am The Man Who Was Not There.
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-03
Reston, VA
kudos:1

[Serious] Sat Nav mounting

I really hate to broach a serious query when wonko is posting jokes, but he reminded me of something (don't ask how, just don't ask) . . .

At any rate, all those satnav (or are they navsat?) systems they're selling to you guys by the dozens, where are you allowed to mount them in the vehicle? Windshield, dashboard, back seat, outside on top of the wing mirror?
--
Regards,
Joseph V. Morris

stevepas

join:2009-04-19

The only rule I can think of is anywhere that doesn't obscure your field of view.
Have known of mot failure due to having furry dice hanging from rear view mirror.

I did 'install' one in the dustbin once.

(it is satnav)

wonko3fc
Verbum sat sapienti

join:2001-06-02
UK
reply to jvmorris

One came free in the phone - that'll do nicely.

jvmorris
Premium,MVM
Reston, VA

Yes. It's a GARMINfone!

jvmorris
Premium,MVM
Reston, VA
reply to stevepas

stevepas,

What does that mean from a practical standpoint?

Hold on a mo and let me switch from my normal US driving mode to the UK driving mode. I'm the only driver for the vehicle I own in the UK.

Now, would putting the unit on the very bottom of the windshield underneath the interior rear view mirror be considered as blocking my field of view? In my vehicle, I would then be able to still see the top left corner of the hood (bonnet) over the device.
--
Regards,
Joseph V. Morris

stevepas

1 edit

The drivers view has to be to a certain standard ie chips, cracks and things like stickers etc can obscure.
(Probably the most dangerous are miniskirts within the field of view! )
This could cause an mot failure or alternatively if you were involved in an accident your vehicle could be defined as unroadworthy, not good!
The following link gives spec/measurements for windscreens (sorry windsheilds)
»www.motinfo.gov.uk/htdocs/m4s08000301.htm
Hopefully this will help clarify.

jvmorris
Premium,MVM
Reston, VA

Much thanks, if I were in-country right now I would just have called DVLA or whoever, . . . but I'm not (yet).

The windshield/screen mount is basically just a suction cup, so I can always remount it if someone has heartburn and it would only be up for long trips to unfamiliar places anyway.

Will check out that URL. I never paid much attention to where other drivers have these things mounted and I wasn't sure if they were on the windshield/screen or on the dash normally.

Addendum Okay, looks good. As I read it, they're more concerned about a permanent occlusion or damage. This thing probably wouldn't even be in the vehicle during its annual MOT inspection.
--
Regards,
Joseph V. Morris

wonko3fc
Verbum sat sapienti

join:2001-06-02
UK

I seem to recall that there is an area (notwithstanding that covered in the excellent link above) that needs to be unobstructed. In fact, I seem to think that 75% of the windscreen needs to be clear...

If you look at almost every other car on the road, the satnav is either in the lower right corner of the screen or in the middle at the bottom (where I keep my sucky thing attached - Oh Matron!), in both cases, just above the dash (Gillian Taylforth take note )

Common sense needs to prevail and as long as it's not in a position where you need to peer round it to see where you are going, I think you'll be okay.

If in doubt, pop down the local cop-shop and ask for their advice.

jvmorris
Premium,MVM
Reston, VA

Okay, I'll go with the middle at the bottom, where "she who shall not be named" can also see it, criticize my driving, and routinely inform me that she thinks I'm speeding regardless of what the contraption says.

Our local cop shop is always open tomorrow, it seems. And that's true tomorrow, too. I've heard that we rate a sergeant, constable, and CSO, but I think they're fictional. I've seen my local MP and council member more often than I've see a blue serge uniform out there in the "green, green grass". The only thing that's rarer out there is a badger; seems they all moved into town.
--
Regards,
Joseph V. Morris

stevepas

I've sometimes wondered if a satnav still works whilst stuck in passenger's mouth?

jvmorris
Premium,MVM
Reston, VA

said by stevepas:

I've sometimes wondered if a satnav still works whilst stuck in passenger's mouth?

Check with me in about five weeks.
--
Regards,
Joseph V. Morris