how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ed

@comcast.net

Comcast Should?

Not an expert, but here's how I see it.

Comcast could have told level3 that what you see is what you get, we'll keep the original peering contract and charge for any additional BW you may require, which from what I've read throughout the internet is how its played out so far.

Now, Level3 could say we'll just stick to our original peering agreement and we will not pay for additional BW. It will be just a matter of time before Comcast customers start getting annoyed that they are having latency/QOS issues while trying to stream Netflix content and give Comcast the boot.

Now I am wondering about the transit agreement that Comcast has with Level3. Comcast pays Level3 for this service, can any overflow from the peering agreement get funneled to the transit agreement. I honestly don't know but I suppose its possible and if thats the case Comcast could be paying Level3 for the influx of traffic into the comcast network

Comcast could just give Level3 the boot and go with another transit provider and cancel the peering agreement all together. But guess what? Comcast customers are going to still watch Netflix. And Comcast customers are still going to be annoyed by the latency/QOS issues. Comcast will be paying a huge price to its new transit provider because of the bandwidth issue and still having to build up its network to handle traffic.

What Comcast should do is advertise this working partnership with Level3 to provide an enriching experience for Netflix Subscribers and explain the benefits of becoming a Comcast Customer, emphasizing the Netflix Brand.

Just my thoughts

sonicmerlin

join:2009-05-24
Cleveland, OH
kudos:1

How would customers give Comcast the boot? Who are they going to go to? A DSL provider? Yeah that will help with Netflix streaming I'm sure.

WernerSchutz

join:2009-08-04
Sugar Land, TX

said by sonicmerlin:

How would customers give Comcast the boot? Who are they going to go to? A DSL provider? Yeah that will help with Netflix streaming I'm sure.

Heh, I wish I had DSL as an option !

Selenia
I love Debian
Premium
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR
kudos:2
reply to ed

Yeah, like laymen would be smart enough to blame Comcast when Netflix gets stuck buffering and other video sites don't. Sorry, but the average user knows jack about the workings of the internet. They will wrongly blame Netflix, especially after a call to Comcast tech support. To the others, Netflix works fine over dsl(my only option at home).
--
The new Sony rootkit-Using the ability to remove features you paid for. What's next? Boycott Sony products »[Rant] ps3 update = no more Linux