spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Peter1231

@cox.net

Polycom 330 Phones for Speakeasy VOIP

Hi, was wondering if anyone knows the version or perhaps have a step by step setup info to configure a Polycom 330 to Speakeasy's VOIP network. Apparently they are not being very helpful once learning that I didn't purchase the phone from them. The irony is that, in their ads, they tout "Speakeasy-Supported Hardware". Apparently, they will only support it if you purchase from them. Still waiting for another reply from tech support to provide simple info so I can complete my self install.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
Your hardware is not Speakeasy hardware - as such they do not support it. Just like TW cable will not support routers that is not purchased via TW. In fact - support is told to not even touch the router or walk anyone thru it.

SE, TW and other ISPs that provide services can't be knowledgeable about all possible hardware that someone can buy. So - they support their hardware that they sell - that is what 'Speakeasy Supported Hardware" means.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

Peter1231

@speakeasy.net
I'm sorry but I don't see it that way. If Speakeasy utilizes and advertises compatibility for Polycom 330 phones, at the very least, they need to provide "self install" instructions for those who choose not to purchase hardware from Speakeasy.

Sure, I can see some business reasons why they would NOT provide this, but at the end of the day its deceptive. They code the Polycoms perhaps with their own firmware so that a user can't get into it. Then, they sell the phones at sky high pricing. Last but not least, instruct tech support to make it hard if not impossible for the end user to get the phone to work. Simple questions such as asking for firmware to upload, or even a firmware version are shunned. Unfair business practices in my books.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
Not the least bit 'unfair' - just for the ease of tech support alone. If they flash with their own firmware or software then all the more that they do not support firmware or software they have nothing to do with....

They plainly support Speakeasy hardware - your end-user bought hardware is NOT Speakeasy hardware by definition.

A LOT of ISPs will not even support lines that go into a router. If you call for support - especially with connection problems - if you are not plugged directly into the modem - they won't do anything.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

faayear

join:2010-12-23
reply to Peter1231

like this

bhan261

join:2001-02-12
New York, NY
reply to CylonRed
said by CylonRed:

A LOT of ISPs will not even support lines that go into a router. If you call for support - especially with connection problems - if you are not plugged directly into the modem - they won't do anything.

Like Speakeasy. I've never called support that they didn't insist I plug my computer directly into the modem...which, of course, requires changing all the settings. It's just one of the reasons I never really like SE support, even in the "good old days".

tdumaine
Premium
join:2004-03-14
Seattle, WA
said by bhan261:

Like Speakeasy. I've never called support that they didn't insist I plug my computer directly into the modem...which, of course, requires changing all the settings. It's just one of the reasons I never really like SE support, even in the "good old days".

Like its that hard to assign an ip address to a computer...

bhan261

join:2001-02-12
New York, NY
No, it's not that hard to assign an IP, Gateway, Subnet, DNS servers...just a pain in the a$$ and an annoyance. I glad you're not put off by it, though. That makes you so much better than the rest of us.

NgtFlyer

join:2000-07-09
Marietta, GA
reply to bhan261
On the contrary, the few times I've had to call with a technical issue, I was never required to plug the modem straight into a computer - Troubleshooting was always done acknowledging that my firewall was functioning normally.

That being said, the last time I called for support, the experience wasn't a very positive one. It sounds to me like the old SE support staff has been replaced. Even the cool hold music is gone.

JTDC

join:2000-02-07
Washington, DC
reply to Peter1231
The process for configuring the phone can get a littel complicated. Basically, you have two choices: configuration via FTP/TFTP or manual configuration through the telephone menu. I suggest you go to the Poycom site (»www.polycom.com) and download the administrator guide from the support page for the phone. You can also download the latest firmware and configuration files if you decide to go the FTP/TFTP route. All in all, it can get confusing, but the outstanding voice and speakerphone performance is worth it. Good luck!