spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

theSpam

join:2008-02-28

[Cable] WARNING - If you live in a townhouse/condo complex

This is just a warning to everyone who lives in a townhouse/condo complex. If you don't have any preexisting Rogers' services and a new cable line needs to be installed, Rogers will require written permission from the condo corporation before they start any drilling, installation, etc.

Personally, I had to cancel my cable order over this (and other issues as well) and will have to stick with DSL for the time being.

koreyb
Open the Canadian Market NOW

join:2005-01-08
East York, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·voip.ms

umm The Rogers guy does not require permission to drill through internal walls... They can not drill from external in a condo that you own without the condo board approval. UNLESS your building has some weird rule, they can drill on internal walls all they want.

I live in a condo... That Tech may have either not understood things, or just didn't want to do it.

If you couldn't do this, no one would be able to do simple reno work without having EVERYTHING approved.

the cerberus

join:2007-10-16
Richmond Hill, ON
reply to theSpam

koreyb, it sounds like the OP has no physical cable coming in from the external walls or below ground.

Which is weird because most condos/houses in Canada have a physical cable coming in near the telephone demarc.

hm

@videotron.ca
reply to theSpam

Believe it or not, some condo's have exclusivity rules. I.E. a vote took place and the majority voted on Bell TV and Bell internet. No other supplier allowed.

Some are built in when you move into the condo since the condo corporation, or the condo committee took a kick-back for free Bell or Free Rogers services in exchange for requiring this condo rule on all condo owners.

Seems to me I recall reading about this type of situation on one of the gov sites 2 years ago. But I no longer recall. Seems to me it may have been posted in one of the forums here...

But yup, this happens.

You can always get the condo's association to put it in writing to you, then submit it to the competition bureau and to the CRTC to see what kind of replies you get. I'd be interested in knowing the reply.

codecx

join:2007-04-16
Mississauga, ON
reply to the cerberus

I live in a condo and Techs CAN drill through internal walls
(its freaking drywall..!)

but for some sort of liability reason, they will not use a fish to thread the cable through the walls, in case they damage electrical wire. Its not likely to happen but it probably happened *once* and all Rogers has to do is get sued *once* for it to become a policy.

I just had a Rogers tech a few weeks ago and he explained it all to me. Even gave me a super long Fish wire and explained how to use it.. Outstanding guy overall

If they really feel that insecure about drilling. Ask where they need the hole and do it yourself

nitzguy
Premium
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON

said by codecx:

but for some sort of liability reason, they will not use a fish to thread the cable through the walls, in case they damage electrical wire. Its not likely to happen but it probably happened *once* and all Rogers has to do is get sued *once* for it to become a policy.

I just had a Rogers tech a few weeks ago and he explained it all to me. Even gave me a super long Fish wire and explained how to use it.. Outstanding guy overall

If they really feel that insecure about drilling. Ask where they need the hole and do it yourself

If the OP is RENTING, then a letter will be required from the landlord/condo board due to "damage" that will occur from drilling in the walls.

Obviously if you own your own condo or townhouse then you're free to decide whether or not you want holes in your interior walls. I believe this is what the OP has run into in this case.

Thislilfishy

join:2008-10-28
Orangeville, ON
kudos:1

said by nitzguy:

said by codecx:

If the OP is RENTING, then a letter will be required from the landlord/condo board due to "damage" that will occur from drilling in the walls.

Obviously if you own your own condo or townhouse then you're free to decide whether or not you want holes in your interior walls. I believe this is what the OP has run into in this case.

Yup, this is a very old and often ignored rule. We had a guy drill through "just some drywall" and knicked a heating pipe in the wall. Needless to say, that fall when the heating system was turned on, several apartments were flooded. Typically a 'tech' will just poke a screwdriver through the wall and call it a day (at least when I was doin it back in the day). Be aware that some older buildings actually had concrete under that drywall, making drilling that hole a big PITA, which is also a consideration. Technically in that case the wall should be x-rayed to ensure no utilities are in that concrete wall.

Ian

theSpam

join:2008-02-28
reply to theSpam

Thanks for all of the replies.

To clarify, we do own our townhouse but we haven't had Rogers services for years. We wanted the tech to drill a hole from the exterior to the interior of the house for the cable (which definitely IS allowed by our condo corporation).

I didn't know how long obtaining written permission would take and with my DSL billing date fast approaching, I couldn't afford to pay for both cable and DSL services.

chuckcar

@teksavvy.com
reply to hm

Not some, most in southern Ontario have that rule.

chuckcar

@teksavvy.com
reply to nitzguy

Only if it's freehold, in most cases with condos all go with either Rogers or Bell but not both at the same time.

eots

join:2003-02-04

My condo offers both Bell and Rogers for TV and Internet.

BryceS

join:2007-09-17
Vanier, ON
reply to theSpam

Bell used to require a letter of permission but now all installers just drill away and make tenants sign off on responsibility.

andrejus

join:2003-07-13
Mississauga, ON
reply to theSpam

said by theSpam:

Thanks for all of the replies.

To clarify, we do own our townhouse but we haven't had Rogers services for years. We wanted the tech to drill a hole from the exterior to the interior of the house for the cable (which definitely IS allowed by our condo corporation).

I didn't know how long obtaining written permission would take and with my DSL billing date fast approaching, I couldn't afford to pay for both cable and DSL services.

As being a director of one of the Condo townhouse complex in Mississauga i must admit, that no matter what everyone says, you DO NOT OWN an exterior wall - it is considered a common element. inside of the unit is very convoluted - it all depends on the declaration and by-laws of the corporation, which you had to get together with status certificate when you purchased your unit. Inside of the unit is different from corporation to corporation - for example in our corporation, everything what unit owner owns is s surface of the interior wall for the purpose of decoration - the owner legally can't drill any holes or change any plumbing, or change any wiring, etc while in other corporations the plumbing is owner's responsibility together with the walls that are not structural.

legally, the only people, who can drill any holes in the exterior wall are usually an agents or contractors of the corporation and property management. If you want to make any alteration to the common element (which is the case with drilling a hole in the outside wall) you MUST submit a written request to the property manager, who in turn will put your request on the agenda of the next board meeting. the Board then will come up with the decision whether or not to allow you to make any alteration to the common element. Even after that, under the section 98 of the Condo Act of ONTARIO, and prior any improvements you must enter in to the agreement with condo corporation (called section 98 agreement) that you will be held responsible for any adverse effect of such alterations. For example if moisture get's through the hole you created, and mold grows inside your unit exterior wall, the wall deteriorates as a result - it is you, who will have to cover any and all expenses that the corporation incurred to fix that!
Normal cost for s.98 agreement is about $3K. Some corporation have created a general s.98 agreement, that specifies what and under which circumstances you can do with the common elements. The most adverse effect of the s.98 agreement is that it is permanent, which means it gets registered on the status certificate of your unit, and you may have problems selling your unit if you had made any alterations.

I know - for the most part, if you live in a condo TH, you are more like an inmate - you can't do anything, as you simply do not own it - all what you own - is a contents of your unit.

As a result of the above, you really have 2 options:
1. drill the hole yourself, and pray nobody will notice
2. ask a permit from the condo board and drill all you want after you get the permit.

in the first case - you have a GREAT chances of receiving a letter from the property manager with the demand to return the alteration in the previous state, or property manager's contractor will do that with all costs charged back to your unit
in the second case, the process may take months to complete and may become extremely expensive - over 2K just to get a permit to drill a hole.

FiReSTaRT
Premium
join:2010-02-26
Canada
Reviews:
·Velcom

And they ask me why I live in a house.. I guess I am one of those weirdos who don't like being prisoners of condo boards or having their motorcycles stolen from "secure" parking areas (with a side of the cops telling me to investigate the crime, myself)

Tx
bronx cheers from cheap seats
Premium
join:2008-11-19
Mississauga, ON
kudos:12
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·FreePhoneLine
·Rogers Hi-Speed

said by FiReSTaRT:

And they ask me why I live in a house.. I guess I am one of those weirdos who don't like being prisoners of condo boards or having their motorcycles stolen from "secure" parking areas (with a side of the cops telling me to investigate the crime, myself)

lol i read that one on thestar, kinda laughed thinking it was a joke but read further and couldn't believe it.

As for house vs condo. Who ever told you living in a house was weird? I refuse to live in a condo (unless it's given to me) otherwise a house 100%.

Condo boards are a joke. Sorry to those who agree with them but if i buy my home, it's MINE and requring permission to drill a hole is sickening

tempus6

join:2004-10-19
Barrie, ON

The whole point is that drilling a hole in a condo wall could cause damage to something that is not yours and adversely affect your neighbors. Condos would be chaos if everyone did whatever they wanted without concern for their neighbors or common property. Everyone who buys a condo has an opportunity to understand the restrictions they may face and the rules they must adhere to before purchasing.

And by the way pat2008 when you buy a home, despite what you might think, it's not yours to do with how you please. You are really just a tenant that pays rent to the government (property tax), you are restricted in how you may use it in accordance your municipalities by laws, and the government can force you to sell your property to them at any time through expropriation.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium,MVM
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON
kudos:10
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to BryceS

said by BryceS:

Bell used to require a letter of permission but now all installers just drill away and make tenants sign off on responsibility.

A tenant can't sign off on a responsibility that is not theirs. The release Bhell gets from a tenant isn't worth the paper its printed on.

Mike
--
-- UBB: There IS something you can do - ask me (PM)

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium,MVM
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON
kudos:10
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to FiReSTaRT

said by FiReSTaRT:

And they ask me why I live in a house.. I guess I am one of those weirdos who don't like being prisoners of condo boards {snip}

Yup. I looked at buying a condo 10 years ago, found out about this kind of crap - which is quite prevalent - and decided then I would never live in a condo, ever.

Mike
--
-- UBB: There IS something you can do - ask me (PM)

Tx
bronx cheers from cheap seats
Premium
join:2008-11-19
Mississauga, ON
kudos:12
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·FreePhoneLine
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to tempus6

said by tempus6:

And by the way pat2008 when you buy a home, despite what you might think, it's not yours to do with how you please. You are really just a tenant that pays rent to the government (property tax), you are restricted in how you may use it in accordance your municipalities by laws, and the government can force you to sell your property to them at any time through expropriation.

As a matter of fact you do own your home. Yes i know all about expropriation and a recent example is one mans home in T.O being taken for the TTC. That's just the power of the government.

Owning my home compared if comparing to a condo board. You need permission to do anything to your lawn, anything to your home inside (some condos) you are in reality renting. My home, is just that my home. Sure i pay land tax, but for the last 22 years i can drill a hole if i please for cable without someone yelling at me and billing me.

Condo boards are sickening. My fathers condo board is the only one i know of personally and if i wrote about everything it'd be a long story. His condo board consists of 8 volunteers who are power hungry. Out of 388 owners and a petition going around 325 so far are out for blood to remove them.

I agree you can potentially damage someones property but simply drilling a hole will not do that. Renovating could, not a 1\4" hole for cable.

FiReSTaRT
Premium
join:2010-02-26
Canada
Reviews:
·Velcom
reply to Tx

said by Tx:

said by FiReSTaRT:

...or having their motorcycles stolen from "secure" parking areas (with a side of the cops telling me to investigate the crime, myself)

lol i read that one on thestar, kinda laughed thinking it was a joke but read further and couldn't believe it.

Motorcycle theft in condo parking lots is pretty endemic, and the only thing you can really do about it is get good insurance.
-Condo security is a joke. Thieves WILL get around it, they do all the time, multiple times, with nothing EVER being done about it.
-Wrapping a heavy-duty chain around the bike and then around a beam or bolting it down into the floor will often cause issues with condo boards. In any case, parts can still be stolen. One of my buddies had 2 $800 Yoshimura mufflers stolen off his bike.
-The police are obviously useless at investigating property crimes. I've reported a guy trying to sell me a $500 bicycle for $35 at 2am, in a dark parking lot, in an area where bicycle theft was rampant. They asked me if I took down the serial number and refused to send a patrol to investigate, even though they had the place/suspect description/item description within minutes of the incident.
-If we take personal interest in protecting our property, we risk a hell of a lot more jailtime than the thieves.. Just ask that Chinatown store owner who apprehended a shoplifter.