Sudbury, ON

nitzguy to codecx

Premium Member

to codecx

Re: [Cable] WARNING - If you live in a townhouse/condo complex

said by codecx:

I live in a condo and Techs CAN drill through internal walls
(its freaking drywall..!)

but for some sort of liability reason, they will not use a fish to thread the cable through the walls, in case they damage electrical wire. Its not likely to happen but it probably happened *once* and all Rogers has to do is get sued *once* for it to become a policy.

I just had a Rogers tech a few weeks ago and he explained it all to me. Even gave me a super long Fish wire and explained how to use it.. Outstanding guy overall

If they really feel that insecure about drilling. Ask where they need the hole and do it yourself

If the OP is RENTING, then a letter will be required from the landlord/condo board due to "damage" that will occur from drilling in the walls.

Obviously if you own your own condo or townhouse then you're free to decide whether or not you want holes in your interior walls. I believe this is what the OP has run into in this case.
Thislilfishy
join:2008-10-28
Dundalk, ON

Thislilfishy

said by nitzguy:

said by codecx:

I live in a condo and Techs CAN drill through internal walls
(its freaking drywall..!)

but for some sort of liability reason, they will not use a fish to thread the cable through the walls, in case they damage electrical wire. Its not likely to happen but it probably happened *once* and all Rogers has to do is get sued *once* for it to become a policy.

I just had a Rogers tech a few weeks ago and he explained it all to me. Even gave me a super long Fish wire and explained how to use it.. Outstanding guy overall

If they really feel that insecure about drilling. Ask where they need the hole and do it yourself

If the OP is RENTING, then a letter will be required from the landlord/condo board due to "damage" that will occur from drilling in the walls.

Obviously if you own your own condo or townhouse then you're free to decide whether or not you want holes in your interior walls. I believe this is what the OP has run into in this case.

Yup, this is a very old and often ignored rule. We had a guy drill through "just some drywall" and knicked a heating pipe in the wall. Needless to say, that fall when the heating system was turned on, several apartments were flooded. Typically a 'tech' will just poke a screwdriver through the wall and call it a day (at least when I was doin it back in the day). Be aware that some older buildings actually had concrete under that drywall, making drilling that hole a big PITA, which is also a consideration. Technically in that case the wall should be x-rayed to ensure no utilities are in that concrete wall.

Ian

chuckcar
@teksavvy.com

chuckcar to nitzguy

Anon

to nitzguy
Only if it's freehold, in most cases with condos all go with either Rogers or Bell but not both at the same time.

eots
join:2003-02-04

eots

My condo offers both Bell and Rogers for TV and Internet.