how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

lite1

join:2010-12-11
Ashland, OR

SB6120 made inoperable by Charter during provisioning

Just bought SB6120 to replace rental modem on Charter Communications; they had suggested getting Docsis 3.0 modem to be future proof even though my tier is only up to 8 down and 1 up for speed. Should I continue to try and get SB6120 to work with Charter, or use something else is my bottom line ?

Charter was unable to provision the modem (online light never goes solid green). Phone tech said that the modem was defective; calling Motorola they said that Charter has screwed up the firmware. Purchased 2nd SB6120; warned tech over phone who was to do 2nd provisioning of prior problem. Long story short, they were unable to provision the modem. Googled and found this forum and particularly this thread on SB6120 being bricked by firmware update (»Firmware Update Cripples Some Motorola SB6120 DOC 3 Modems). Live Charter tech came to house and signal is strong and stable and nothing wrong with wiring. Rental modem Scientific Atlantic 2100 has been fine and stable but a waste of money to rent, but have resorted back to it.

On Charter forum am dealing with cust service person to get resolution. They have determined that firmware on my modem is 1.0.1.8 which is very outdated as I believe current is 1.0.3.3

Goal and ?s:
1) Want stable, hassle free connection. Will probably be a year or two before I go any higher than 8 down for speed. Am using new Netgear N600 wireless router.

2) For ages I have considered dumping Charter (after using them for a decade) and going with one of the few alternatives in my small community. For Charter or for alternative would consider Motorola 5101 as would be supported on either system. Given all of the problems that I see reported about SB6120 I wonder a) should I use a different modem?; b) would firmware update likely be a solution for 6120 - Charter is not clear as to whether they could do that or whether it needs to be mailed to Motorola or ... Seems like a really time waster. Local Charter area is utilizing Docsis 3.0 but because of my low speed tier is not likely to be of any benefit to me.

3) I'm somewhat knowledgeable about tech but not modems and routers so seek your exp and advice. While reviews on SB6120 generally seem to be excellent, it does seem that they have more than there share of hassles. Charter is unclear about whether they will give me any financial compensation/incentive to stick with them and my inclination is that if they don't treat me fairly for the hours I have wasted my time that I might simply finally dump them as a company.

Much thanks, Edward

Nick
Purveyor of common sense
Premium,VIP,MVM
join:2000-10-29
Smithtown, NY
what lights do go green?

lite1

Ashland, OR
Always green - power light

Receive flashes blue then goes solid green

Then Send flashes blue then goes solid green

Online flashes green but never goes solid; does that for 10 or 20 seconds then all but power light go off, and the sequence starts again wiht Rcv light.

++++++++++
From calls to Motorola today I am more and more confident that the problem is created by Charter who have upgraded the default Motorola software with Charter's version 1.0.1.8

This firmware is from back in April 2009 and is out of date. Charter claims that they are unable to upgrade firmware which seems to be untrue.

Nick
Purveyor of common sense
Premium,VIP,MVM
join:2000-10-29
Smithtown, NY
You can try going to »192.168.1.100 when the modem is on and look at the log and post that here. It can lock on to the downstream and upstream but it's not going online (could be a provisioning issue or something else).

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11
reply to lite1
said by Nick:

You can try going to »192.168.1.100 when the modem is on and look at the log and post that here. It can lock on to the downstream and upstream but it's not going online (could be a provisioning issue or something else).

In addition, can you find a page that lets you restore to factory defaults?

Dunke
Premium
join:2000-09-30
Medford, OR
reply to lite1
Had the same problem here in Medford yesterday. Charter phone tech's can't reach the 6120's to provision them. They are having problems in the area. I went through Charter Direct on this site and apparently they contacted a local engineer to provision the modem. I guess they can reach them and do whatever they do - probably install the correct firmware which is SB6120-1.0.2.4-SCM01-NOSH. Charter Direct had me going in 1/2 a day. CharterDylan handled my issue. We do not have channel bonding yet so the modem lights will be green. G/L

lite1

Ashland, OR
Dunke ...
Thanks, and obviously your exp is completely relevant being with Charter only 15 miles from my location.

I have gotten so fed up with Charter and the incompetence they so often display that I am most likely going to drop them as my ISP. Nonetheless, it is good to know that there is an appropriate firmware that works in this area for the SB6120 on Charter.

jmatherly4219

join:2007-05-11
Bristol, VA

1 recommendation

reply to lite1
SB6120 lights will go blue if your modem is in channel bonding, they will stay solid green if your on single channel. Keep in mind even though Charter says to "future proof" your modem it wil do no good until they have upgraded there system to DOCSIS 3.0. Also for the online light blinking but not going solid its a connectivity issue on your end, does your modem line go into a spiltter before reaching the box outside?

lite1

Ashland, OR
reply to Dunke
said by Dunke:

Had the same problem here in Medford yesterday. Charter phone tech's can't reach the 6120's to provision them. They are having problems in the area. I went through Charter Direct on this site and apparently they contacted a local engineer to provision the modem. I guess they can reach them and do whatever they do - probably install the correct firmware which is SB6120-1.0.2.4-SCM01-NOSH. Charter Direct had me going in 1/2 a day. CharterDylan handled my issue. We do not have channel bonding yet so the modem lights will be green. G/L

Dunke ... again thx. FYI from a post on Amazon from purchaser in Phonix AZ who is on Cox, NOT on Charter so this is is only partially relevant to you. The firmware you are using successfully in Medford, OR operates slowly on Cox in AZ.

Poster on Amazon I quote seems to be knowledgeable:

Update August 07, 2010: I am still on firmware version SB6120-1.0.1.7-SCM00-NOSH, and DOCSIS 3 issues have seemed to diminish for me in the Phoenix market. Cox does have a newer firmware version 1.0.3.1, I have not tried it and it is not widely distributed, but users on seem to be happy with 1.0.3.1.

Here is a list of Current Firmware Options for the SB6120 that Cox is using or has tested, firmwares are known to behave differently on specific vendor's CMTS, (A cable modem termination system or CMTS is a piece of equipment typically located in a cable company's headend or hubsite, and used to provide high speed data services). All Moto SB6120 firmwares so far do seem to have issues, It is best to ask for help from a cable tech for your provider if they participate at DSLR Forums, and find out which firmware works best for your area. or call your provider and ask. You can check your firmware in the diagnostic menu @ 192.168.100.1/cmHelp.htm

1.0.1.7 - Fast, but has rebooting, syncing issues
1.0.1.8 - Fast, but has rebooting, syncing issues, Retail Moto Release (Cox doesn't have this FW to reflash if you change)
1.0.2.0 - More stable, but slow to very slow speed issues,
1.0.2.4 - More stable, but slow to very slow speed issues, » Google SB6120 1.0.2.4 Speed Concerns
1.0.3.0 - Known to Brick Modems, Cox is not using
1.0.3.1 - As of 09/01/10 This is the current Cox firmware for this modem, There are issues on certain vendor's CMTS, recent rebooting and time-outs have been reported.

Dunke
Premium
join:2000-09-30
Medford, OR
lite1 - that all sounds about right. I was aware of the newer firmware but I don't think Charter is using it. Looking at my log I can see a software push conducted yesterday so I'm sure they changed the firmware. Wish I had looked to see what firmware the modem came with. I'm betting it was the newer version. Speed has been great since yesterday and I've chatted with a Grants Pass user who is very happy with his 6120 speeds also.

Can you look to see what firmware version you have? Are you having any luck in the Charter Direct forum? I think until they get local issues resolved they are having local engineers provision each modem individually.

lite1

Ashland, OR

Re: SB6120 on Charter - info on my firmware that does NOT work

Dunke as indicated in OP:
On Charter forum am dealing with cust service person to get resolution. They have determined that firmware on my modem is 1.0.1.8 which is very outdated as I believe current is 1.0.3.3

Each of the two SB6120s I purchased from different vendors AFTER attempted to provision the modem ended up with the 1.0.1.8 firmware.

I cannot get a consistent (and non-contradictory) answer from Charter or from Motorola regarding how firmware is handled. Motorola claims that each SB6120 ships with what they refer to as "default firmware" but were unable (or unwilling to indicate what it any version number is assigned to it. Motorola claims that each ISP has the capability (and responsibility) to upgrade the firmware based on what would work for that ISP and the specific Mot modem. By upgrade they mean, modify the "default firmware" and/or replace it with entirely new firmware. Motorola claims that they never "push" firmware out to modem owners; this makes sense from a biz point of view as Mot I am sure does not want to take cust complaints and Mot does not know what would or would not work with an ISP. Mot implied that ISPs modify the firmware, however from this forum it seems that Mot releases and makes available to ISPs various firmware versions, but that it is for the ISP to determine what firmware they want to use on the behalf of their customer.

On the other hand: Charter has fairly consistently claimed that Charter does NOT do anything to the firmware that is on the modem when they provision it AND that the firmware is solely the responsibility of the modem mfg. Certainly this forum seems to make it clear that Charter (and Cox) push out to their customers various firmware revisions/updates without customer having or choice or even being made aware of it. Charter also claims even when they admit that they "install" firmware when they provision the modem the first time, that they have no choice about what firmware is installed by Charter.

===========
As you had warned me in your first reply --- Charter phone tech support is useless and seemingly does not have anything in their database about SB6120 or the firmware options that are available. They are useless in terms of remdying the problem on my never being able to get online with the modem.

Pretty classic case of two companies denying any responsibility and blaming the other company and/or blaming the customer.

Again glad you are online, and that the SB6120 seems to be working fine for you.

lite1

Ashland, OR
Not Charter related except by contrast.

I signed up for new service today with different ISP. It took 20 minutes at the street to have tech connect wiring; one phone call to provide Mac ID; and then 10 minutes later I was online.

This is what Charter should have been able to do for me as well, but given what I consider to be their incompetence I am no longer buying services from them. I doubt that I will have any regrets.

It is perhaps noteworthy that the same firmware that Charter could not make work on their system is still on the modem and works fine with new service (AFN). The latter is not a national branded company so the name would be meaningless to others except Dunke in my area.

Good luck to all of you dealing with Charter.