Premium
join:2008-01-24
Toronto, ON
kudos:1

1 edit
reply to The Gizmo

Re: Then

Won't work.

The whole point is that you won't be able to connect to any random IP anymore, only those on a whitelist.

ArrayList
netbus developer
Premium
join:2005-03-19
Brighton, MA
ala walled garden?

TamaraB
Question The Current Paradigm
Premium
join:2000-11-08
Da Bronx
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Clearwire Wireless

2 recommendations

reply to pnjunction
said by pnjunction:

Won't work.

The whole point is that you won't be able to connect to any random IP anymore, only those on a whitelist.

Too many people use corporate VPNs for business. You would be shutting down practically all work-from-home access. You would basically have to black-list every IP outside the US, or build a great wall of China around our borders.

I don't see how the American public would tolerate such an infringement.

It's not IP restrictions which seem to be at the core of their plan anyway. They seem to be concentrating on the Application Layer, you know the "Apple Walled Garden" approach of approved APPS. Perhaps if they dumb-down the public enough to where they are incapable of doing anything more than drag-and-drop this can work.
--
"Remember, remember the fifth of November.
Gunpowder, Treason and Plot.
I see no reason why Gunpowder Treason
Should ever be forgot."

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people"

franklin101

join:2010-10-12
Irvine, CA
Being a country of sheeps, I think that there isn't much hope. Government won't do crap because of $$$, people don't care. I think they might bribe government and present the current internet as a threat to national security or the like. And then internet companies oh so convenient use it to gauge even more.

TamaraB
Question The Current Paradigm
Premium
join:2000-11-08
Da Bronx
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Clearwire Wireless

1 recommendation

You can push and rip people off just so far. I can see a resurgence of small mom and pop dial-up/VPN/Portal ISPs offering unfettered Internet access sprouting up as a consequence of such restrictive and expensive bullshit. Sometimes you have to take a step back in order to take two steps forward.

Such restrictive and expensive billing models by the big players is bound to create new business opportunities.
--
"Remember, remember the fifth of November.
Gunpowder, Treason and Plot.
I see no reason why Gunpowder Treason
Should ever be forgot."

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people"

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
reply to TamaraB
North Americans in general are sheep , the encroachment will be little by little,till one day you'll wake up and realized what's happened.
--
Jake: "Four fried chickens, and a coke" Elwood: "And some dry white toast, please"