« Then i wouldFractured Internet »
This is a sub-selection from why not
amigo_boy
join:2005-07-22

amigo_boy to ISurfTooMuch

to ISurfTooMuch

Re: why not

said by ISurfTooMuch:

For what? Delivering visitors? I thought that's what my monthly Internet bill is paying for.

Was your monthly bill paying for last month's content, which didn't include the latest dancing reindeer and bloated pop-up "previews"? Or, this month's?

I see the ISP's dilemma when providers like Google can increase what visitors receive, without any apparent cost to visitors. That's like the traffic-pumping operations that provide "free" conference-call services by the tariffs receiving phone companies are allowed to charge originating phone companies. It's great. Everyone gets a free service. Nobody really sees the added infrastructure cost that the originating phone company has to absorb (and pass along to everyone in the form of higher rates).
sonicmerlin
join:2009-05-24
Cleveland, OH

1 recommendation

sonicmerlin

said by amigo_boy:

said by ISurfTooMuch:

For what? Delivering visitors? I thought that's what my monthly Internet bill is paying for.

Was your monthly bill paying for last month's content, which didn't include the latest dancing reindeer and bloated pop-up "previews"? Or, this month's?

I see the ISP's dilemma when providers like Google can increase what visitors receive, without any apparent cost to visitors. That's like the traffic-pumping operations that provide "free" conference-call services by the tariffs receiving phone companies are allowed to charge originating phone companies. It's great. Everyone gets a free service. Nobody really sees the added infrastructure cost that the originating phone company has to absorb (and pass along to everyone in the form of higher rates).

Again, you demonstrate a complete misunderstanding of how internet traffic, peering, and transit works. You just don't understand, and you're mouthing off on a topic displaying your ignorance. Google is one of the largest "ISPs" in the world. It has massive peering arrangements with eyeball ISPs, because it both sends and receives enormous amounts of data. Your attempt to portray Google as a bandwidth hog is ridiculously misinformed.

Furthermore, bandwidth is stupidly, idiotically cheap, especially for monsters known as AT&T and Verizon.
« Then i wouldFractured Internet »
This is a sub-selection from why not