Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

sonicmerlin

join:2009-05-24
Cleveland, OH
kudos:1
reply to Ben

Re: They're not asking the right question.

said by Ben:

There's no doubt in my mind, or in the minds of most, that we are indeed behind many other countries in this respect.  However, they're not asking the right question.

Instead of asking what the current speeds are, they should ask what's available.  For example, a user may have a package of say, 25/3 available to him, but he may decide that 8/1 is good enough for him at this moment in time.

So in this respect, things do appear grim.  They just aren't as grim.

Do you honestly believe people in other countries such as the Netherlands are just more likely to purchase higher priced, higher speed plans?

Has it occurred to you that maybe in the Netherlands the *lowest* speed they can get is 20+ mbps?

Ben
Premium
join:2007-06-17
Glen Carbon, IL

said by sonicmerlin:

Do you honestly believe people in other countries such as the Netherlands are just more likely to purchase higher priced, higher speed plans?

Has it occurred to you that maybe in the Netherlands the *lowest* speed they can get is 20+ mbps?

No, that didn't occur to me.  Although you do bring up a good point.  I don't know if demand for speeds slower than that is significant over there.  Anyway, it's generally true that as the years wear on, the demand for faster and faster Internet continues to increase.

I forget where, but I've read that the availability of fast Internet is so important that it's starting to affect housing values.  Many people don't want houses that only have dial-up and satellite.  This will become more true as time goes on.

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

1 edit
reply to sonicmerlin

said by sonicmerlin:

Not true.
Cable:
They have a 5 mbps download plan.
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UPC_Netherlands

DSL:
They have 8 & 16 mbps download plans.
»translate.google.com/translate?h···rmd%3Div

And that was only 2 examples I found. The many other vendors offering service may also have lower speed plans.

sonicmerlin

join:2009-05-24
Cleveland, OH
kudos:1

A significant number of people there have access to fiber ISPs, who provide significantly higher speeds and better service than Cable. Furthermore, the 5 mbps could easily be the equivalent of the US ISPs' "poor man's" tier, such as Time Warner's $20/month 348/128 kbps tier that they never advertise.

The point is you don't know anything about the price ranges and demographics, and your assumptions end up being FUD. Which is par for the course with you.

iwonder

@bredbandsbolaget.se

Maybe its just me, but MMH's positions are always pro business/telcom 99.99% of the time. He comes across like a paid astroturfer, which honestly wouldn't surprise me.