Premium
join:2000-11-08
Da Bronx
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Clearwire Wireless

Shame on the USA

A picture or two is worth a thousand words.

WhatNow
Premium
join:2009-05-06
Charlotte, NC
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

Re: Shame on the USA

If you look at the date which is 2007 a lot of speed upgrades in the next 3 years. Part of the problem is the we led the market putting in really fast equipment when 1.5meg and 3 meg was what 50 meg is now. The other countries build their systems later. The biggest ISPs are and have been upgrading to faster speeds. I just looked at Speedtest.net which is more current and we are 31st but most of the big land mass countries are below us. The biggest surprise is Russia at 27th. If the Verizon territory which is the Northeast was a country that country would be way up on the list.
WernerSchutz

join:2009-08-04
Sugar Land, TX

said by WhatNow:

If you look at the date which is 2007 a lot of speed upgrades in the next 3 years. Part of the problem is the we led the market putting in really fast equipment when 1.5meg and 3 meg was what 50 meg is now. The other countries build their systems later.

I heard the same the same crap about NTSC. FOR YEARS.

TamaraB
Question The Current Paradigm
Premium
Da Bronx
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Clearwire Wireless
Well, if I lived ANYWHERE in Tokyo, I could get 100mb service for $14.00/Mo.

Unfortunately, I live in NYC (A rural neighborhood in the city) and all I can get/Pay-for here is 1mb ADSL for $20/Mo (going up to $30.00 soon). Hell, my 1mb service has deteriorated to 770kb because of a marginal 700 foot outside quad cable, and Verizon refuses to replace it because data is not tariffed, and I do not have POTS.

No cable company will wire my neighborhood because there are not enough potential customers to warrant the expense. There is something fundamentally wrong with the way our data infrastructure is set up.
--
"Remember, remember the fifth of November.
Gunpowder, Treason and Plot.
I see no reason why Gunpowder Treason
Should ever be forgot."

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people"

KCrimson
Premium
join:2001-02-25
Brooklyn, NY

said by TamaraB:

Unfortunately, I live in NYC (A rural neighborhood in the city) and all I can get/Pay-for here is 1mb ADSL for $20/Mo (going up to $30.00 soon). Hell, my 1mb service has deteriorated to 770kb because of a marginal 700 foot outside quad cable, and Verizon refuses to replace it because data is not tariffed, and I do not have POTS.

No cable company will wire my neighborhood because there are not enough potential customers to warrant the expense. There is something fundamentally wrong with the way our data infrastructure is set up.

If your (recent) profile and the DSLR members tech map is anywhere near correct, you're on a trawler docked somewhere in Mill Basin, and you are complaining about the broadband availability in your neighborhood? I live in that neighborhood (a few blocks from where you last place your "pin"), and I get to choose between Optonline and FiOS - both of which offer sufficient bandwidth for most people.

TamaraB
Premium
Da Bronx
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Clearwire Wireless

said by KCrimson:

If your (recent) profile and the DSLR members tech map is anywhere near correct

It's accurate!

said by KCrimson:

you're on a trawler docked somewhere in Mill Basin

Yes indeed! At the Kings Plaza Marina.

said by KCrimson:

and you are complaining about the broadband availability in your neighborhood?

Yes.

said by KCrimson:

I live in that neighborhood (a few blocks from where you last place your "pin"), and I get to choose between Optonline and FiOS - both of which offer sufficient bandwidth for most people.

Good for you. Nobody will wire this place for high-speed Internet. want to help? IM Me and I will give you my phone number, we can meet for brunch at the mall and discuss things. NOTHING is available here; I have been looking for the past 7 years.
--
Should ever be forgot."

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people"

KCrimson
Premium
Brooklyn, NY

said by TamaraB:

said by KCrimson:

If your (recent) profile and the DSLR members tech map is anywhere near correct

It's accurate!

said by KCrimson:

you're on a trawler docked somewhere in Mill Basin

Yes indeed! At the Kings Plaza Marina.

said by KCrimson:

and you are complaining about the broadband availability in your neighborhood?

Yes.

said by KCrimson:

I live in that neighborhood (a few blocks from where you last place your "pin"), and I get to choose between Optonline and FiOS - both of which offer sufficient bandwidth for most people.

Good for you. Nobody will wire this place for high-speed Internet. want to help? IM Me and I will give you my phone number, we can meet for brunch at the mall and discuss things. NOTHING is available here; I have been looking for the past 7 years.

Do you think it accurate to characterize your "neighborhood" as suffering from poor broadband availability when you're talking about your specific FAR-from-ordinary situation? Urban trawler docked at marina is not your typical broadband installation.

TamaraB
Premium
Da Bronx
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Clearwire Wireless

said by KCrimson:

Do you think it accurate to characterize your "neighborhood" as suffering from poor broadband availability when you're talking about your specific FAR-from-ordinary situation?

Yes indeed. If I order POTS service, Verizon MUST provide it HERE (and they have) as per their tariff/Monopoly.
said by KCrimson:

Urban trawler docked at marina is not your typical broadband installation.

Since when is being an American something "typical"??? I always thought of us as atypical. You know, those who conquered the wilderness. Are you saying that only "typical" households are due the benefits of society?

Tell me, what's "typical" about a true American? Being a sheep? Doing what everyone else does? Conforming? That's not the America I grew up and know.

--
Should ever be forgot."

KCrimson
Premium
Brooklyn, NY

said by TamaraB:

No cable company will wire my neighborhood because there are not enough potential customers to warrant the expense.

Let me fix that for you...

said by TamaraB:

No cable company will wire my marina because there are not enough potential customers to warrant the expense.

I don't really care to debate your politics, I was only seeking to enlighten those reading the thread of your unique wiring requirements. If anything, the neighborhoods that surround your marina (Mill Basin and Marine Park), are among the most fortunate of broadband customers in the USA - they get to choose between Optonline and FiOS - options that offer consumers better than 15 or 20Mb/s downstream bandwidth. Most DSLR members would JUMP for those options.

TamaraB
Premium
Da Bronx
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Clearwire Wireless

said by KCrimson:

No cable company will wire my marina because there are not enough potential customers to warrant the expense.

This is a microcosm of all of rural America. We were able to get wired for phone service years ago, only because POTS is tariffed, and the excuse of "not enough potential customers" is invalid when a utility is tariffed. We were able to get POTS w DSL, and eventually dropped the POTS.

There are currently about 15 families living out here permanently, with that number growing each year as the economy tanks further. Think of it more as a trailer park than as a marina.

The same problems we face here, afflict a great deal of rural America, and for the same reason. It's why we trail in broadband penetration as a country. Internet access is becoming more of a necessity every day, more of a utility, and should be treated the same way as any other utility IE access for all. We have Metered Con Edison, City water, and Verizon POTS. Most residences have DirectTV. The big problem here is Internet access. Only two of the phone lines here will support DSL, mine being one of them, the rest are bridged service.

--
Should ever be forgot."

MrHappy316
Wish I had my tank
Premium
join:2003-01-02
Monterey, CA
Really NZ an island an they have better Broadband speed, seriously?
Synbios

join:2002-05-18
Arlington, VA
Reviews:
·Charter
·Comcast
·Verizon FiOS

said by MrHappy316:

Really NZ an island an they have better Broadband speed, seriously?

What does that have to do with anything? Japan is an island too.

Japan does have a unique store though: After we nuked them they were able to re-build a complete fibre network.

If the US got reset and all our copper got destroyed, I'm sure we would built back all fibre too.

TamaraB
Premium
Da Bronx
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Clearwire Wireless

said by Synbios:

If the US got reset and all our copper got destroyed, I'm sure we would built back all fibre too.

Why should it take a hideous disaster to upgrade infrastructure? What does this say about our system?
Synbios

join:2002-05-18
Arlington, VA
Reviews:
·Charter
·Comcast
·Verizon FiOS

said by TamaraB:

said by Synbios:

Why should it take a hideous disaster to upgrade infrastructure? What does this say about our system?

If it's not broke don't fix it?

If there is already infrastructure in place that is working and making profits there is no need to upgrade it, at least from a market standpoint.

Sad, but yes this is why it is the way it is right now.

TamaraB
Premium
Da Bronx
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Clearwire Wireless

said by Synbios:

If there is already infrastructure in place that is working and making profits there is no need to upgrade it, at least from a market standpoint.

Oh really? So, tell me then, why aren't we going about on horseback? Why do we have the Interstate highway system? Why the flush toilets? Weren't out-houses working well? Why the bridges and tunnels, when ferries worked perfectly OK? Why the touch-tone phone when rotary-dial worked well? Did we really NEED color TV when black and white worked fine?

NONSENSE! Market forces does not a great society make. When we, as a society, turned everything of value over to greed and to profit, over to the corporate bottom-line, we signed our own death warrant. "Don't fix it unless it's broke" is a prescription for failure, it kills innovation, and it only serves the current market, and only serves those who rule and profit from it, at the expense of any future progress. It does not serve "WE THE PEOPLE"!

No! Things have radically changed here in America (at least during the latter part of my 62 years of consciousness). Having the best and most efficient infrastructure (rail, roads, bridges, tunnels, ports, research, education, telecommunications ...) is why we excelled and magnificently prospered as a nation for so long, we wowed and challenged the entire planet at one time, we even went to the fucking moon!

Guess what? NONE of these accomplishments were achieved with the best interests of the stock-holders in mind. They were achieved with the best interests of the people and of society as a whole in mind. There's the rub! There's our error! This is why we have become stagnant and irrelevant! it's why Japan, our conquered enemy, can provide 100mbps Internet access for less than we can provide crummy 1mbps DSL. Doesn't that embarrass anyone? "Made in Japan" used to be a joke. Now, it's the mark of quality. Isn't this the least bit disturbing to you people?

The deterioration and decay of our most basic infrastructure is a sure sign of our demise. The attitude of "let's squeeze the last drop of blood from the rotting corpse" is the death knell of our society. Instead of looking and working forward, we are trying to live and suck off of our past. That tit is now dry, I am afraid you will have to produce a new one to suck on.

We were once first in everything, and deservedly proud of it, we are now running head-long, consciously, stupidly, and greedily, with great ignorance into last place. Shame on America! When this country is finally broken, there won't be either will nor resources to fix it, it will be too late.

Infrastructure is the only path to a more prosperous, productive, and efficient future. It was true for the Greeks, for the Romans, and for us (and in no case was it ever controlled by dividends to stock-holders; rather it was driven by the common good). By all current estimates, we have no future, we have condemned ourselves to live in the obsolete past. Shame shame!

--
Should ever be forgot."

Lazlow

join:2006-08-07
Saint Louis, MO
The rebuild of Japan preceded fiber by several decades.
bn1221

join:2009-04-29
Cortland, NY
Reviews:
·TowerStream

The field of telecommunications first used optical fibers in 1966

So, you are both right.

Read more: Fiber Optics - body, used, process, system, waves, Production of optical fibers, The use of fiber optics, Optical fibers and television »www.scienceclarified.com/Ex-Ga/F···8ObVEC5e