how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Roofer

join:2010-11-24

1 edit

How to switch from Shaw to Telus

In light of the recent decision by Shaw to charge for overage and lower the caps, many of you may be considering a switch from Shaw to Telus. I have never heard of a single instance of Telus charging a home customer for overage, regardless of what it saids under their Terms and Conditions, and I can speak from first hand experience that it has never happened to me even though I routinely go over the caps.

In my case, I have Telus High-Speed Turbo (15 mbps), and it is rock solid. I ran speedtest.net just now, and I am getting 13.7 to Seattle, not quite as fast as Shaw's Extreme, which was usually just over 14. But it is a straight line on the download graph, where as Shaw tends to jump up and down depending on the time of day.

If you are getting television installed, then you should schedule an appointment with their tech. If there is no telephone jack by your computer, then you should also schedule for a tech. But if you are just getting Internet, then they can mail you the modem and you do the install yourself. They usually activate the line for 1 week after you place the order, with the modem arriving in about 3 working days. For the simplest Internet installation, then the default SE567 (which is a modem and wireless router in one box) is best. If you want to use your own router, then ask them for just the modem.

If you are an existing Telus customer (phone, Internet or television), then just phone them up, and tell them that you are getting offers in the mail from Shaw. They will immediately transfer you to the loyalty department. They are very nice to deal with and I felt that they valued my business. Here are the offers you can expect:

Phone and Internet only: Phone for $16.95 (permanent pricing), High-Speed Turbo 15 mbps free for the first month, $23 for the next 11 months, and $45 thereafter. No rental fees, no contract, no cancellation fees. You can walk away any time.

All 3 services: $15-$15-$15. This will be for telephone with one feature, and 300 minutes of long distance. Internet is either 15 mbps or 19 mbps. Television is the basic package with free HD for the first 6 months. Don't bother with the free PVR rental because that will lock you into a 3 year contract (same with the free XBox). Instead, go to Future Shop and buy the HD-PVR for $180 special promotion. No contract, no rental fees, no cancellation fees. If you want a higher television package with 6 theme packs, the cost goes from $15 to $31, but if you really argue, you will probably get it for $15.

And if you are very good at bargaining, you can get all 3 services for $10-$10-$10. I know someone that just got it this month.

Hope this information is helpful. Again I want to emphasize that Shaw is now charging for overage, Telus is not, regardless of what they say on their respective web-sites.

[Edit] As a consumer, the only practical tool you have in getting a point across is with your wallet. It is important to switch all services from Shaw, not just Internet. And it is important to tell your friends and family to do the same. The only argument you have to give is that "they can get bills in the hundreds or thousands of dollars". So far, I have convinced 7 households to switch.

Merin

@shawcable.net

Nice post, i hope telus+netflix put shaw out of business.

Ommina

join:2006-08-28
reply to Roofer

Thank you for the post.

Any suggestion on what kind of price I should expect for switching phone and Internet alone, no TV? (Phone and Internet are the two services I have with Shaw, so, yes, I'll be dropping them completely.) Would need to be a more robust phone package than the basic, as well.

Hm. Maybe I should just post this on the Telus forum.

Roofer

said by Ommina:

Thank you for the post.

Any suggestion on what kind of price I should expect for switching phone and Internet alone, no TV? (Phone and Internet are the two services I have with Shaw, so, yes, I'll be dropping them completely.) Would need to be a more robust phone package than the basic, as well.

Hm. Maybe I should just post this on the Telus forum.

Have you been getting promotional mail from Telus? If yes, you can use that as the starting point for your negotiations. Regardless, you should be paying less than what is on the Telus web-site.

For just phone & Internet (15 mbps), aim for $17 per month permanent pricing, and $23 per month for High-Speed Turbo 15 mbps for the first year. With no rentals fees, disconnect fees, or contracts.

rustydusty

join:2009-09-29
Red Deer, AB
reply to Roofer

I'm gonna stay with my Shaw, and hopefully VDSL2 upgrades are pushed into my area soon. Once they are, I will be switching. The HS Turbo isn't enough speed for me. I would love the 25x2 High Speed 25, or the Optik High Speed (same tier, just one is bundled with TV).

dbarron

join:2000-01-03
Vancouver, BC
reply to Roofer

Thanks for this info, it will be VERY handy when I call Telus to inquire about switching from Shaw.

nss_tech

join:2007-07-29
Edmonton AB
reply to Roofer

said by Roofer:

For just phone & Internet (15 mbps), aim for $17 per month permanent pricing, and $23 per month for High-Speed Turbo 15 mbps for the first year. With no rentals fees, disconnect fees, or contracts.

I'm not sure where you're getting your pricing from but you are way off. Telus phone is $21/mo, like Shaw's, and internet is usually $31 for 6mbps. Turbo (15mbps) is usually $45/month. Telus charges $26 without internet normally for the basic phone service.

Roofer

said by nss_tech:

said by Roofer:

I'm not sure where you're getting your pricing from but you are way off. Telus phone is $21/mo, like Shaw's, and internet is usually $31 for 6mbps. Turbo (15mbps) is usually $45/month. Telus charges $26 without internet normally for the basic phone service.

I know of 3 friends who got those prices in the last 2 months (I can post a copy of one of those bills if you like). You should not have to pay the prices that are on Telus' web-site, those are for people who do not want to do any bargaining.

If you currently have a service with Telus (for example, phone for $24), you can phone and ask if they will match Shaw's digital phone $14.99 offer which they are mailing to everyone. They will transfer you to the loyalty department, and they will immediately offer you $17. Then ask them what they can do for you if you want to transfer Shaw Internet to Telus, and they will offer you either $23 for HS Turbo, or $15-$15-$15 for all 3 services, for the first 12 months.

But I keep harping that the price savings is only of secondary importance. I would have made the switch even if there were no savings, just to send a message to Shaw.

gonz

join:2006-04-28
Vancouver, BC

said by Roofer:I would have made the switch even if there were no savings, just to send a message to Shaw.

I'm thinking this way as well.

Jack44

@shawcable.net

Indeed, this is downright abhorrent!

zod5000

join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to Roofer

I'm quite happy with telus' service, but I have had issues with customer service/installation in the past. One recommendation I'd make to people making the move, is not to cancel your cable internet until the DSL internet is up and running

rustydusty

join:2009-09-29
Red Deer, AB

Hopefully I can get more than just DSL! I would love some VDSL2+

thetruth99

@shawcable.net
reply to zod5000

I am not a SHAW fan but does the op work for Telus? Who is he that he has never heard of anyone getting kicked off for internet either go to Yak or Tek Savvy for truly unlimited.

Telus tech support sucks also if you need a service call you pay through the roof.

Roofer

1 edit

said by thetruth99 :

I am not a SHAW fan but does the op work for Telus? Who is he that he has never heard of anyone getting kicked off for internet either go to Yak or Tek Savvy for truly unlimited.

Telus tech support sucks also if you need a service call you pay through the roof.

You are misquoting me. What I said was "I have never heard of a single instance of Telus charging a home customer for overage, regardless of what it saids under their Terms and Conditions". If there is evidence to the contrary, I will happily admit to being wrong.

No, I do not work for Telus, nor am I associated with them in any way, other than being a happy customer. I had negative experience with their old ADSL about 8 years ago, so I was as surprised as anyone how much better their ADSL2+ is.

The way I see it, with their cap lowering, overage enforcement and torrent throttling, Shaw has become hostile to Internet users. Telus, who does none of these, is friendly to Internet users. That is reason enough to dump Shaw. The money savings is just icing on the cake.

[Edit] If I work for Telus, I would not be posting how to get special offers and discounts through their loyalty department, something which I am sure they don't want to become widely known.

timerider2

join:2010-12-19
reply to Roofer

WOW I keep seeing some unbelievable prices on TELUS services, are these to good to be true or require some kind of special negotiating ability. I am phoning tomorrow to switch from SHAW to TELUS internet and I'm really nervous about this kind of stuff. It sounds like if you know what to say you get great deals and if you don't you get no deal. I just checked my TELUS phone bill and I pay $44 a month, lower down it says "Smart Home Bundle - 3 Pack $38.34", am I already way overpaying because I've never phoned to say, "hey can I get a better deal". I am really dreading having to try to say the right things to get the best deal, does anyone have any tips I'm freaking out here. I am not interested in TV and just want to get the 15mbps Turbo and my home phone with call display/voicemail.

Roofer

3 edits

said by timerider2:

WOW I keep seeing some unbelievable prices on TELUS services, are these to good to be true or require some kind of special negotiating ability. I am phoning tomorrow to switch from SHAW to TELUS internet and I'm really nervous about this kind of stuff. It sounds like if you know what to say you get great deals and if you don't you get no deal. I just checked my TELUS phone bill and I pay $44 a month, lower down it says "Smart Home Bundle - 3 Pack $38.34", am I already way overpaying because I've never phoned to say, "hey can I get a better deal". I am really dreading having to try to say the right things to get the best deal, does anyone have any tips I'm freaking out here. I am not interested in TV and just want to get the 15mbps Turbo and my home phone with call display/voicemail.

You are the perfect candidate for getting the good pricing, because you are already a Telus customer. Phone and tell them you received a Shaw offer for Digital Phone $14.95, and what they will do to keep you. They will most likely transfer you to the loyalty department. Negotiate the best price you can for the phone (make sure to ask whether there are monthly administrative charges for long distance, which is a rip-off).

After that, ask what they will offer you to have Internet. If you are currently on Shaw Extreme, the equivalent package is High Speed Turbo. You should get first month free, and $23 for the next 11 months, and $45 thereafter. Make sure to ask them whether the modem rental is included (it should be), and that you are not locked into a contract.

If they don't transfer you to the loyal department, phone back and talk to another rep. Let us know how it works out. Even if there is no cost savings, I would still cancel Shaw out of principle.

[Edit] If they ask you for details, tell them the Shaw letter saids $14.95 for the Shaw Home Phone Basic which has no cost Shaw to Shaw calling even long-distance, call display, and 4 cents per minute in North America and 50 other countries. The promotion code is 619.

timerider2

Thanks Roofer, I'm nervous but I'm gonna bite the bullet and follow your advise to the letter. I should sue SHAW for all the stress I've been through over the cap/overcharging issue. Wish me luck everybody, hopefully reporting back with my experience will make it easier for other SHAW people to make the switch.

zod5000

join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to thetruth99

said by thetruth99 :

That's not entirely accurate. Telus charges you for the service call if its your fault for the issue. IE you have a computer virus, or faulty home wiring they had nothing to do with, or you knocked the plug out from the modem kind of stuff. It's like charging a user fee to keep the service from being abused.

If it's telus' fault they won't charge. IE the modem broke, faulty outside wiring, issue with the wiring in your apt. phone room.. etc...

prairiesky

join:2008-12-08
canada
kudos:2
reply to Roofer

what does everyone think will happen when they move to telus.

You're going to be piling all of the bandwidth hogs onto telus, unloading Shaw's system and leaving them with the light users. telus' system will then be over loaded and not able to handle the capacity and they'll have to implement caps.

Ya, you guys are really showing shaw, you show em!

trick91

join:2005-02-05
t5x5f1

said by prairiesky:

what does everyone think will happen when they move to telus.

You're going to be piling all of the bandwidth hogs onto telus, unloading Shaw's system and leaving them with the light users. telus' system will then be over loaded and not able to handle the capacity and they'll have to implement caps.

Ya, you guys are really showing shaw, you show em!

point is Telus is not doing it at the moment, and noone knows when they will. I think people are just sick of Shaws lies

Roofer

reply to prairiesky

said by prairiesky:

You're going to be piling all of the bandwidth hogs onto telus, unloading Shaw's system and leaving them with the light users. telus' system will then be over loaded

Of the 7 families that I have convinced so far to switch to Telus, only one of them can be considered "bandwidth hogs". Some of them were attracted by the lower prices, which is fitting because they hardly use the Internet except for email and banking. For some reason, it is a lot easier to convince people at work to make the switch than members of my family. Over the Christmas holidays, I am going to start on my friends.

timerider2

1 edit
reply to prairiesky

From what I've been reading in this forum, TELUS is using newer hardware and has spent money upgrading their network. It looks like they can handle the load with ease. I'm sure TELUS is aware by now that people are moving over from shaw and I'm sure they know why. Like others have said on here, they won't be enforcing caps for 6 months to a year, if they enforce them at all, to get all the unhappy shaw customers. And that's a hell of a lot better then what SHAW is offering. I would think the only softcapped provider left in the area would get a lot of customers and keep them.

DonCorleone

@shawcable.net
reply to Roofer

You are working for tel US and only person that I ever heard talking nice about them

Roofer

said by DonCorleone :

You are working for tel US and only person that I ever heard talking nice about them

Shaw is lowering their caps, charging for overage, and continuing to throttle torrents. Telus is doing none of those things. It is pretty easy to talk nice about Telus

Like I said, of course I don't work for Telus. I am making public the kind of deals that you can get from their loyalty department, which they don't want to be made public.

Magistor

join:2010-12-02
Richmond, BC
reply to Roofer

I tried getting 10-10-10. A lower rep said he probably could do it, then I got transfered to loyalty department, they said 15-15-15 is the best they can do, and $19 for every 15 mins of installation... I just need a damn phone line to my room for internet.

Apparently my neighbored doesn't have fiber, but it still can reach internet speeds of 25Mbps, so I'm guessing its still VDSL2 internet. Either way I've had enough of shaw. Not even Comcast would do what shaw did.

Roofer

1 edit

said by Magistor:

I tried getting 10-10-10. A lower rep said he probably could do it, then I got transfered to loyalty department, they said 15-15-15 is the best they can do, and $19 for every 15 mins of installation... I just need a damn phone line to my room for internet.

Apparently my neighbored doesn't have fiber, but it still can reach internet speeds of 25Mbps, so I'm guessing its still VDSL2 internet. Either way I've had enough of shaw. Not even Comcast would do what shaw did.

When I placed my order, they offered to come out and do the installation for free, but I told them I already have a line by the computer, so they just mailed me the modem/router. You should try again and see if they will do the installation for free, unless it is different in BC vs Alberta.

25Mbps is pretty good. That was what I would have got had I took the 15-15-15 package, but since I didn't need television, I just got 15Mbps (High-Speed Turbo). Realistically if I have 15Mbps download, then I rather have higher caps than more speed, and that is what Telus is currently providing to us (actually, no caps).

I talked to my friend in an attempt to find out how he was able to get 10-10-10, whereas they only offered me 15-15-15, but I came to the conclusion that he is just better at bargaining than I am.

[Edit] I just noticed that somebody got $9 per month for Internet. And I thought I got a good deal!

Magistor

join:2010-12-02
Richmond, BC
reply to Roofer

Switched over, saving 40 bucks minus a channel. Was on student promo with shaw. Only problem is that installation is on December 31st. At least that gives me time to figure out a way to port email accounts to gmail. Don't want to be locked out of Paypal ;p

Edit: Ohh a day before overusage fees takes effect. Time to buy a 1TB hd and abuse the hell out of shaw for making me miss breakfast to switch to Telus and making me change emails I've had for 10 years.

Scotty35

@shawcable.net

When i heard about this i downloaded all much as i could to fill my HD for the new year. Assuming shawjames words had any truth and that the first month or 2 would not charge you overage fees i figure might as well get what i can out of shaw until the switch to telus.

stoptheshaw

join:2010-12-20
reply to Magistor

Ill be switching over as well since optik is available in my area. Screw shaws silly limits and pathetic overage fees that are so inflated they make the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man. Shaw reps made no effort to keep my business and were downright rude as if using 200gigs on avg a month is not worth the 120 bucks i send them every month. They can kiss my phone,net,tv monies goodbye.

timerider2

3 edits
reply to timerider2

Hey roofer, I phoned TELUS today and followed your advise to the letter and am very happy with the results. I just wanted to make sure I came back and thanked you very kindly for your valuable advise. I have the installer coming at the end of the month. I went with the modem only option as I already have a d-link router I love. I don't want to get to specific about details but the comparison looks like this...

ORIGINAL PRICE for combo (Shaw internet/TELUS phone)= $104
internet $60 + phone $44

Switching from SHAW Extreme 15mbps 125gig oooops 100gb (HARD CAP) to TELUS high speed turbo 15mbps 125gb (SOFT CAP)

1st 6 months combo price with TELUS = $36.50 (1st month free)
2nd 6 months combo price with TELUS = $52
After 1 Year combo price with TELUS = $77

As for the price on internet alone with this combo I am paying $20 a month for a year and then it goes up to $45 a month (1st month free)

Free modem rental is included with service
Free installation for 1st time TELUS internet hookups
No contract was required

This is for people like me that already have a TELUS phone and for some reason need to find a new internet provider fast, but aren't interested in a TV connection. The rep told me I can phone back in 6 months or a year and renegotiate, "no problem'. So far I'm enjoying not being treated like a criminal, (SHAW), when I'm asking about services and discounts. I have already printed out roofer's cheat sheet for my sister and she is phoning TELUS tomorrow.

Once again thank you very much roofer, and to anybody else thinking about switching, it really is quick and painless, and listen closely, "YOU WILL SAVE MONEY". Good luck to the rest of my SHAW friends out there who are making the switch, I hope you are free from SHAW tyranny soon yourselves.

P.S. Does anybody have a guide for phoning and cancelling SHAW without getting yelled at by a SHAW rep. That's tomorrow's phone call and I'm not looking forward it.