Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Roofer

join:2010-11-24
reply to Bandito

Re: How to switch from Shaw to Telus

said by Bandito:

These $10 month TV promos are typically offered to brand new customers only or those who have left Shaw for more than 90 days. Good luck with Shaw trying to get this 10-10-10 deal if you are a current subscriber.

Shaw does not have a $10-$10-$10 deal, it is Telus that does. Most people that contact Telus get $15-$15-$15, and those that are good at bargaining get $10-$10-$10.

By cancelling Shaw and moving to Telus, you save money and you avoid overage charges.

Bandito

join:2003-01-23
I realize that....what I meant was people are trying to get Shaw to match Telus' 10-10-10 deal or even $15-15-15 and Shaw simply wont do it.
I'm thinking of ditching my internet and phone with Shaw and going with Telus but keeping cable and HDTV with Shaw.

Kyla T

@telus.net
reply to Roofer
I have never done any business with Shaw. The last time I paid for cable TV, Rogers still had the Vancouver franchise. For over a decade I have just used rabbit ears and DVDs from the public library and online viewing for my video entertainment.

I have been on Telus DSL internet for almost 10 years now. Haven't had a service outage since 2005 and never any telephone outage, unlike my neighbour who occasionally knocks on my door to use my phone to call Shaw about her phone not working. My usage "limit" is 75 GB per month. I just checked my account and found my stats for the past year. I found that I have often gone over limit (highest month of usage was 111 GB) but have never had any extra charges or even warnings. My average use over the past 12 months was 74 GB per month, so maybe they take long term average use into consideration?

My bundle includes: home phone, high speed internet, 1 calling feature and 200 minutes of North America long distance. Total cost, including HST, is $66 per month. This is the price after all the sign up promotions have expired.

With one exception, customer service has been very good. When I first took on my current bundle I was given the choice of either month by month or one year contract at the same price except with the contract I would get a free modem/wireless router. Since my old router had stopped transmitting, I took the 1 year contract and free router. I was told that after the contract expired I could continue on at the same price.

One year later when the contract expired, my bill went up. I called customer service and was told that I could no longer get the bundle price and would have to pay the unbundled price for each individual service. The person was very rude and said it didn't matter what I had been told previously, this was the only option. On top of that the rep kept calling me "sir" even though I twice reminded her I was female (as is my name on my account.) Finally I told her I was tired of being disrespected and was ending the call.

I called back and got different rep who was very polite and cheerful, called me "ma'am" right from the beginning, restored my bundle pricing without questioned and even rebated the difference from the unbundled pricing I had been previously billed. At the end I thanked him and mentioned the disrespect I had received from the other rep and her refusal to give me the bundle price. The very next morning I got a call from someone at the Telus customer service satisfaction office who apologized for how I had been treated and asked for the details.

Shaw sends me offers in the mail every month, telemarkets me every now and then, despite being on the Do Not Call list and even twice has sent people knocking on my door to give me a high pressure sales pitch. (The last time it was a 2 person team of a cute young woman and a good looking man LOL). Everytime I've talked to them I ask what the price will be after the 6 month promotional price expires and they refuse to tell me. The guy at the door said it was listed in the contract he had in his hand that he was trying to get me to sign. I asked him to leave it with me so I could read over the fine print at my leisure and I would call back if I was interested. He refused and even wouldn't let me read the contract then and there unless I agreed to sign it. I bluntly told him that I refused to ever do business with anyone who couldn't be honest and upfront about the terms so he should get the hell of my doorstep and never come back.

Bottom line: I am a very happy long time Telus customer and Shaw has never given me any persuasive reason to switch to them.

As an important bonus, my phone still works when the power goes out so I am never left stranded if I have an emergency and have to call 911 on a dark and stormy night. Not to mention I can switch to dial-up and web surf as long as my laptop battery lasts.

Roofer

said by Kyla T :

As an important bonus, my phone still works when the power goes out so I am never left stranded if I have an emergency and have to call 911 on a dark and stormy night. Not to mention I can switch to dial-up and web surf as long as my laptop battery lasts.

Good point. IMO everyone should buy a cheap phone for around $15 with no special features. These will work on Telus even if the power goes out.

Kyla T

@telus.net
reply to Kyla T
Just wanted to add that when I started on the current Telus bundle it coincided with when I moved into my new place 2.5 years ago. The previous tenant had been completely on Shaw and the phone line had been disconnected for years. A Telus technician came the day after I moved in, climbed up the pole to reconnected my line, tested it and set up the new modem (although I could have easily done that part myself), all at no charge.

He was even going to install their software package on my computer for me but I declined since I usually run Linux.

Roofer

reply to Roofer
HDman50 from the Telus forum yesterday: "you should ask about Telus' new offer of $9.95/month per service for 1 year, 1 free rental HDPVR and 1 Regular HD Box under no contract. (basic levels all services) I had the $15 letter in my mail box called up to make general inquires and they said I can actually get the above for just $9.95 instread based on where I live. Rep said some area's are for $15 and some for the $9.95 with no contract. Might be worth considering!"

telususer

join:2006-03-05
Burnaby, BC
reply to Roofer
On behalf of all Telus users, please don't switch to Telus. You will just burden the Telus network, especially in the Greater Vancouver area where the nodes are already overloaded. Stick with Shaw and stop using so much bandwidth.

Roofer

1 edit
said by telususer:

On behalf of all Telus users, please don't switch to Telus. You will just burden the Telus network, especially in the Greater Vancouver area where the nodes are already overloaded. Stick with Shaw and stop using so much bandwidth.

I can see your point of view . Keep in mind though that we are bringing lots of low volume users with us, so as a group we are probably under-quota.

[Edit] Last calender month, my family used 147G, so we exceeded our quota. We are really excited by American Netflix, Vudu and Hulu but I expect the novelty to eventually wear off.

Hello Newman

@shawcable.net
reply to Roofer
Can someone using Telus confirm if there are blocked ports? While I do not run any web or file servers, I do have a VPN setup for when I am away from my home network. This would definitely be a deal breaker for me.

Thanks

tired

join:2010-12-12
Port 21 is blocked. I moved to a non-standard so I could still do my one-off file transfers when I'm away from home and that works. So there is some port blocking, but it's not universal.

Deathknight

@telus.net
reply to Roofer
Roofer, thanks for this information.

I was with Shaw for a number of years, then moved, switched over to using Telus ADSL for the last 2.5 years. I'm on the 15 Mbps downstream plan, forgot what it's called. No phone nor TV.

Overall I'm really happy with Telus vs Shaw. I had some major lag with Shaw, especially during after work hours that I never have with Telus.

I'm in the midst of moving again and would like to have Telus ADSL + HDTV. I do not need a phone plan. I'd like to bargain and negotiate with Telus to get the best deal possible. What kind of rates can I expect to get? I think I will buy the PVR as well, as I do not like contracts.

I might also need some installation work done. The place I am moving to may not have a phone line in the rooms I want to put a TV in. Will Telus charge for that or can I negotiate that as well?

Roofer

said by Deathknight :

I'm in the midst of moving again and would like to have Telus ADSL + HDTV. I do not need a phone plan.

I suspect that Telus will go out of their way to get your television business, because that is the reason why they made the recent $1.5 billion upgrade. You are an existing Telus customer, so you have more leverage.

Shaw has been mailing their existing customers $14.95 Digital TV Basic offers, so Telus may match it with their equivalent, and probably offer you HD channels as well. You should be able to get $15-$15-$15 for all 3, so you will end up paying less even if don't plug in a telephone. Good luck!

I believe that if it is your first install at a location, it is free. Television installation is more complicated than just internet, so I would feel better if they did it.

For me, the main reason for supporting Telus is the peace of mind that comes with not having to constantly worry about whether I have exceeded the caps or not. I would have canceled Shaw and switched to Telus even if there was no savings. It is also nice getting on an infrastructure that is at the start of its life cyle, instead of towards the end as in Shaw. My guess is that Shaw is delaying its wireless rollout because they need to redeploy money into patching up their internet infrastructure (since trying to charge their customers for overage results in them leaving).

There is also my philosophical belief that limiting internet usage stifles Canada's technological innovation. This is far too important an issue to be left to the internet service providers, especially those who are internet-hostile.

ssy080

join:2010-03-01
reply to Roofer
Hello,

I am currently on shaw student plan, which originally included internet (extreme) and phone (call display included). A year ago, they offered 12 month free HDTV service, so I had that, but it is now almost over.

So, for all three, I paid around $43 per month. (My usage is around 350GB per month...)

Does Telus also have student plans? if not, is there a way to match $43 either with all three services or just two (phone+HS internet)?

Thank you!

Mike_C

join:2007-07-19
Vancouver, BC
Try calling Telus and asking.

Fleet

join:2010-12-21
reply to Roofer
This was posted on Telus' Twitter support last night:

"I spoke with my ADSL services further - In the future, we will be charging for overage charges for our High Speed product.
7:00 PM Jan 24th"

sasktel

@sasknet.sk.ca
Telus

they will not impose overages, it nonsense.

tlhIngan

join:2002-07-08
Richmond, BC
kudos:1
Telus can't at the moment - one of the benefits of Optik they advertise is that you'll be able to watch your TV through your Xbox360. And the Xbox360's client looks like it requires internet service (if you look at the terms and conditions - it specifically requires the Optik service or somesuch). Indeed, the AT&T U-verse service also has this feature.

So Telus imposing a cap will be detrimental because they promote the Xbox360 as a legitimate way to watch Optik TV. Imagine all the phone calls Telus would get if all you had to do was watch 3 day's worth of TV before going over some cap (probably 100GB or so - more if HD).

tired

Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TELUS
said by tlhIngan:

So Telus imposing a cap will be detrimental because they promote the Xbox360 as a legitimate way to watch Optik TV. Imagine all the phone calls Telus would get if all you had to do was watch 3 day's worth of TV before going over some cap (probably 100GB or so - more if HD).

This is not true. Telus can very easily isolate all IPTV traffic. Whether it's going to a digital box or an XBox 360 doesn't make a difference to anything on the network.

StarBuck

join:2011-01-16
Port Coquitlam, BC

2 edits
bye
Expand your moderator at work

capdjq
Premium
join:2000-11-01
Vancouver
reply to StarBuck

Re: How to switch from Shaw to Telus

said by StarBuck:

Does Telus give a crap right now ? No they are busy trying to build their tiny market share vs Shaw. Will they care, sure , they are a business and have just been given the green light by the final CRTC decision . When will it happen, who knows.

Right now for 50$ I can get Highspeed turbo ( 31mbps if no ones watching TV) with a 250G traffic cap . Shaw = 15mbps , 100G traffic cap for 47$ or 57$ stand alone.
Do the math, even if Telus do start counting, you still get a reasonable traffic cap 2.5 x that of Shaw.
Is this perfect, no but Telus aren't counting right now, I'm currently trying to see where the limit is and unbelievable I haven't found it yet.
Who knows what tomorrow brings.

According to this morning's Vancouver Sun Telus has said they will start charging after a couple of warnings. The only advantage is they have a much higher cap than Shaw. but if you have no contract they can lower the caps.

»www.vancouversun.com/technology/···ory.html
--
"Just remember, it's better to be pissed off than pissed on" -The Boss

tired

Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TELUS
said by capdjq:

According to this morning's Vancouver Sun Telus has said they will start charging after a couple of warnings. The only advantage is they have a much higher cap than Shaw. but if you have no contract they can lower the caps.

That's not how I read it. When I read the article it said to me that if you're on High Speed Lite or High Speed and you're bumping into your caps then they'll encourage you to move to High Speed or High Speed Turbo.

That was the informal approach that Shaw used to have a few months ago. And I think it is a fair one for everyone.

capdjq
Premium
join:2000-11-01
Vancouver
No, I'm not saying they WILL lower the caps but after a few months what's to prevent them from doing so.

I was considering changing from Shaw to Telus (and might still do so), but its going to be expensive for me. I already have the latest PVR plus a PVR expander purchased 3 months ago. If, as everyone was saying Telus would not charge extra for overages, it would be worth changing. But, if as stated in the Sun, they will give a couple of warnings and then charge then its no different. Plus, according to what Telus tells me this morning, my area I cannot watch 2HD channels at the same time. I mean watch one HD and record another. I regularly record 2 HD channels at the same time.
--
A good wife always forgives her husband when she's wrong.

pfak
Premium
join:2002-12-29
Vancouver, BC
reply to StarBuck
said by StarBuck:

The Modem/Router is already doing an excellent job of managing QOS so that Optik TV dominates any other traffic on the network.

The modem and/or all-in-one NAT solution that TELUS provides does not do any sort of QoS for IPTV. It's all handled on TELUS's IP network, and not on the CPE.

Please stop spreading FUD.

StarBuck

join:2011-01-16
Port Coquitlam, BC

2 edits

pfak
Premium
Vancouver, BC
said by StarBuck:

Forgive me for believing what was posted by the folks who work at Telus, I took this info to mean downstream QoS, but after your lovely little post, and alittle research , it would seem that Optik require a router that supports Upstream QoS and that yes indeed Downstream QoS is handled on the ERX & DSLAM ( Diffserv)

DSLAM does both upstream and downstream limiting and QoS' IPTV. QoS is not handled on my Actiontec V1000H, nor is it handled by anyone elses.

You could run into problems if you stick a device in front of one of the TELUS approved devices that does QoS on it's own, because then you are interfering with the fact that they provision a certain speed but allow the IPTV to be prioritized and use additional bandwidth.

> adsl info --show
adsl: ADSL driver and PHY status
Retrain Reason: 0
Max: Upstream rate = 10870 Kbps, Downstream rate = 84520 Kbps
Path: 0, Upstream rate = 3071 Kbps, Downstream rate = 31494 Kbps

Link Power State: L0
Mode: VDSL2
VDSL2 Profile: Profile 8b
TPS-TC: PTM Mode
Trellis: U:ON /D:ON
Line Status: No Defect
Training Status: Showtime

I am only able to obtain 25 Mbit/s downstream, and 2 Mbit/s upstream on my internet side, but the profile is 30/3. For kicks I hooked up an Alcatel Cellpipe to my line, and put a switch between it and my Actiontec (plugging the switch into the WAN port on the Actiontec) my TV's are behind the Actiontec.

So, I have the following setup for demonstration:

TVs <-> Actiontec (WAN port) <-> Switch <-> Alcatel Cellpipe

The Switch is a manged switch which has SNMP, so I can see how much bandwidth a port is using. I turned on a TV to an HD station and proceeded to max out my connection. Low and behold the switch was saying it was using 30 Mbit/s of bandwidth, but I'm still downloading at around 25 Mbit/s. I turn on another TV to an HD station and the speeds for my internet drop to 20 Mbit/s, but my switch is still reporting 30 Mbit/s of bandwidth.

QoS is handled all on the TELUS side of things, and nothing to do with the Actiontec. There are no QoS settings on the Actiontec, at least as far as I can tell with my pretty good exploration of the modem.

Really, stop spreading FUD. People in the other thread have told others that QoS isn't handled by the Actiontec. It doesn't make sense for it to be!

jse

join:2011-01-30
reply to Roofer
Great thread! I'm just wondering though, people seem to be quoting bandwidth caps (although unenforced) as being 125GB for Telus Highspeed Turbo (15MBps). As far as i can tell, according to the Telus site, this is the cap for the non-Optik HST15. I can't find bandwidth cap figures for either Optik HS15 or OHST25. From the site it seems the caps are as follows:

Optik HST25 - ?
Optik HS15 - ?
HST15 - 125GB
HS6 - 75GB
HSL1 - 13GB

i know the point is moot if they unofficially don't enforce the caps, but i'm just curious if anyone has any solid figures for caps on Optik. A url would be helpful as well. Thanks

jse

join:2011-01-30
reply to Roofer
ahhh.. just chatted wit a rep. caps are 250GB for OHST25 and 125GB for OHS15. Which you guys prob already kno.. I've seen those figures somewhere but not at the official site. It's probably on there somewhere but i missed it

kyoshiro

@shawcable.net
so im getting my optik tv n stuff installed tmr, does telus help me cut all the shaw services or do i still have to call them?

pfak
Premium
Vancouver, BC
reply to jse
said by jse:

ahhh.. just chatted wit a rep. caps are 250GB for OHST25 and 125GB for OHS15. Which you guys prob already kno.. I've seen those figures somewhere but not at the official site. It's probably on there somewhere but i missed it

»www.telus.com/content/internet/h···pare.jsp