Premium Member
join:2000-11-01
Vancouver

capdjq to StarBuck4

Premium Member

to StarBuck4

Re: How to switch from Shaw to Telus

said by StarBuck4:

Does Telus give a crap right now ? No they are busy trying to build their tiny market share vs Shaw. Will they care, sure , they are a business and have just been given the green light by the final CRTC decision . When will it happen, who knows.

Right now for 50$ I can get Highspeed turbo ( 31mbps if no ones watching TV) with a 250G traffic cap . Shaw = 15mbps , 100G traffic cap for 47$ or 57$ stand alone.
Do the math, even if Telus do start counting, you still get a reasonable traffic cap 2.5 x that of Shaw.
Is this perfect, no but Telus aren't counting right now, I'm currently trying to see where the limit is and unbelievable I haven't found it yet.
Who knows what tomorrow brings.

According to this morning's Vancouver Sun Telus has said they will start charging after a couple of warnings. The only advantage is they have a much higher cap than Shaw. but if you have no contract they can lower the caps.

»www.vancouversun.com/tec ··· ory.html
tired
join:2010-12-12

tired

said by capdjq:

According to this morning's Vancouver Sun Telus has said they will start charging after a couple of warnings. The only advantage is they have a much higher cap than Shaw. but if you have no contract they can lower the caps.

That's not how I read it. When I read the article it said to me that if you're on High Speed Lite or High Speed and you're bumping into your caps then they'll encourage you to move to High Speed or High Speed Turbo.

That was the informal approach that Shaw used to have a few months ago. And I think it is a fair one for everyone.

capdjq
Be Kind, Be Calm & Be Safe
Premium Member
join:2000-11-01
Vancouver

capdjq

Premium Member

No, I'm not saying they WILL lower the caps but after a few months what's to prevent them from doing so.

I was considering changing from Shaw to Telus (and might still do so), but its going to be expensive for me. I already have the latest PVR plus a PVR expander purchased 3 months ago. If, as everyone was saying Telus would not charge extra for overages, it would be worth changing. But, if as stated in the Sun, they will give a couple of warnings and then charge then its no different. Plus, according to what Telus tells me this morning, my area I cannot watch 2HD channels at the same time. I mean watch one HD and record another. I regularly record 2 HD channels at the same time.

pfak
Premium Member
join:2002-12-29
Vancouver, BC

pfak to StarBuck4

Premium Member

to StarBuck4
said by StarBuck4:

The Modem/Router is already doing an excellent job of managing QOS so that Optik TV dominates any other traffic on the network.

The modem and/or all-in-one NAT solution that TELUS provides does not do any sort of QoS for IPTV. It's all handled on TELUS's IP network, and not on the CPE.

Please stop spreading FUD.

StarBuck4
join:2011-01-16
Beverly Hills, CA

2 edits

StarBuck4

pfak
Premium Member
Vancouver, BC

pfak

Premium Member

said by StarBuck4:

Forgive me for believing what was posted by the folks who work at Telus, I took this info to mean downstream QoS, but after your lovely little post, and alittle research , it would seem that Optik require a router that supports Upstream QoS and that yes indeed Downstream QoS is handled on the ERX & DSLAM ( Diffserv)

DSLAM does both upstream and downstream limiting and QoS' IPTV. QoS is not handled on my Actiontec V1000H, nor is it handled by anyone elses.

You could run into problems if you stick a device in front of one of the TELUS approved devices that does QoS on it's own, because then you are interfering with the fact that they provision a certain speed but allow the IPTV to be prioritized and use additional bandwidth.

> adsl info --show
adsl: ADSL driver and PHY status
Retrain Reason: 0
Max: Upstream rate = 10870 Kbps, Downstream rate = 84520 Kbps
Path: 0, Upstream rate = 3071 Kbps, Downstream rate = 31494 Kbps

Link Power State: L0
Mode: VDSL2
VDSL2 Profile: Profile 8b
TPS-TC: PTM Mode
Trellis: U:ON /D:ON
Line Status: No Defect
Training Status: Showtime

I am only able to obtain 25 Mbit/s downstream, and 2 Mbit/s upstream on my internet side, but the profile is 30/3. For kicks I hooked up an Alcatel Cellpipe to my line, and put a switch between it and my Actiontec (plugging the switch into the WAN port on the Actiontec) my TV's are behind the Actiontec.

So, I have the following setup for demonstration:

TVs <-> Actiontec (WAN port) <-> Switch <-> Alcatel Cellpipe

The Switch is a manged switch which has SNMP, so I can see how much bandwidth a port is using. I turned on a TV to an HD station and proceeded to max out my connection. Low and behold the switch was saying it was using 30 Mbit/s of bandwidth, but I'm still downloading at around 25 Mbit/s. I turn on another TV to an HD station and the speeds for my internet drop to 20 Mbit/s, but my switch is still reporting 30 Mbit/s of bandwidth.

QoS is handled all on the TELUS side of things, and nothing to do with the Actiontec. There are no QoS settings on the Actiontec, at least as far as I can tell with my pretty good exploration of the modem.

Really, stop spreading FUD. People in the other thread have told others that QoS isn't handled by the Actiontec. It doesn't make sense for it to be!
jse4
join:2011-01-30

jse4 to Roofer

to Roofer
Great thread! I'm just wondering though, people seem to be quoting bandwidth caps (although unenforced) as being 125GB for Telus Highspeed Turbo (15MBps). As far as i can tell, according to the Telus site, this is the cap for the non-Optik HST15. I can't find bandwidth cap figures for either Optik HS15 or OHST25. From the site it seems the caps are as follows:

Optik HST25 - ?
Optik HS15 - ?
HST15 - 125GB
HS6 - 75GB
HSL1 - 13GB

i know the point is moot if they unofficially don't enforce the caps, but i'm just curious if anyone has any solid figures for caps on Optik. A url would be helpful as well. Thanks
jse4

jse4 to Roofer

to Roofer
ahhh.. just chatted wit a rep. caps are 250GB for OHST25 and 125GB for OHS15. Which you guys prob already kno.. I've seen those figures somewhere but not at the official site. It's probably on there somewhere but i missed it

kyoshiro
@shawcable.net

kyoshiro

Anon

so im getting my optik tv n stuff installed tmr, does telus help me cut all the shaw services or do i still have to call them?

pfak
Premium Member
Vancouver, BC

pfak to jse4

Premium Member

to jse4
said by jse4:

ahhh.. just chatted wit a rep. caps are 250GB for OHST25 and 125GB for OHS15. Which you guys prob already kno.. I've seen those figures somewhere but not at the official site. It's probably on there somewhere but i missed it

»www.telus.com/content/in ··· pare.jsp

Lo9
@shawcable.net

Lo9

Anon

Sweet i will save 39 bucks a month from switching!
Bandito
join:2003-01-23

Bandito to pfak

to pfak
But you have to get Optik tv as well. Besides, in my area Optik Turbo is not available.
Roofer
join:2010-11-24

Roofer

said by Bandito:

But you have to get Optik tv as well. Besides, in my area Optik Turbo is not available.

That is incorrect. Check over in the Telus thread, customers have been able to get 25mbps without television.
bionemesis
join:2004-12-07
Calgary, AB

bionemesis

said by Roofer:

That is incorrect. Check over in the Telus thread, customers have been able to get 25mbps without television.

Good to know, but the website does state you can only get it with Optik TV. So for anyone who does call, don't be surprised if they say no.

Stal
@shawcable.net

Stal to Roofer

Anon

to Roofer
So I don't need to order Optik tv in order to get Optik internet?
bionemesis
join:2004-12-07
Calgary, AB

bionemesis

said by Stal :

So I don't need to order Optik tv in order to get Optik internet?

According to Telus, and their website, you need Optik TV to get Optik Internet. However, apparently some people have had success in getting Optik Internet without Optik TV. Your best bet, call Telus. But don't be surprised if they say no. And if you must, say "but Roofer on DSLReports said I could". Throw a tantrum too. Then quickly come back and tell us what happened. Good luck!
Bandito

Bandito to Roofer

to Roofer
said by Roofer:

said by Bandito:

So what you're saying is that even though you sign up for regular Optik Highspeed (non turb) w/o tv because Turbo is not available in your area and Telus won't offer it, people are getting 25 Mbps?
shawuser3
join:2010-10-15
Vancouver, BC

shawuser3

No, it's not Optik TV. Ask them for High Speed Turbo 25.
Bender66
join:2011-01-22

Bender66 to Roofer

to Roofer
I'd love to switch to Telus but they refuse to wire our trailer park for dsl. The Dslam is very close by so I don't know what their excuse is.

dingmah
@shawcable.net

dingmah

Anon

Bye bye Shaw.

Called Telus earlier tonight and I'm getting hooked up with High Speed Turbo on Monday. Even if Telus does enforce overage usage, I'll be happy with consistent bandwidth, and non-throttled torrents.
Roofer

Roofer

Because I canceled Shaw and moved to Telus, I am saving $540 in the first 12 months. I donated that to OpenMedia. I hope they continue to fight the good fight.

When I made the donation with my credit card, it informed me that I have a paypal account (it must have known that from the credit card number). Is there an advantage to donating via Paypal vs direct credit card?
beamer69
join:2007-05-10
Mars

beamer69 to Roofer

to Roofer
I read the full post plus others and still can't find an answer to my question.

I don't have any services with Telus but my old account number is still in their system.

Was originally was only interested in getting there "High speed turbo 25" that is a 25/2 connection on vdsl port and I think costs $61/month.

Reading these promo prices got me thinking. Now I am leaning towards getting tv/internet and phone with them.

Will they let you pay a bit more and get the Optik High Speed Turbo and how much more?

It is $8/month more for the promo three months on the website and $13/month more after that.

If I could get tv/internet and phone for 15+15+15 and they let me add on the faster internet for 8 or even 13 it would work out to be less then just getting the internet "High speed turbo 25" (that package isn't on their website you have to call into to get it. I know the internet will slow down when watching TV but I don't care about that.

15+15+15=45
15+23+15=53
15+28+15=58

Merin
@shawcable.net

Merin

Anon

If you can get the 15-15-15 ask them if you are able to get 25 megs in your area for 10 dollars more. That should up you to 55 bucks a month(if your area can support it) and then add in any PRV/digital box rental or just purchase one so as not to pay 5-10$ a month.
Bandito

Bandito to shawuser3

to shawuser3
said by shawuser3:

No, it's not Optik TV. Ask them for High Speed Turbo 25.

Nada, just called and they said nope...not yet for High Speed Turbo 25.
Roofer

Roofer

I bought 8 Telus HD-PVRs when it was on sale for $100 at Christmas time, 3 at the store, and 5 on-line before they started limiting it to one order per household. I figure it would help those who are planning to cancel Shaw and switch to Telus. They are all gone. I now wish I had bought twice that many.
kyoshiro
join:2011-02-03
Richmond, BC

kyoshiro

said by Roofer:

I bought 8 Telus HD-PVRs when it was on sale for $100 at Christmas time, 3 at the store, and 5 on-line before they started limiting it to one order per household. I figure it would help those who are planning to cancel Shaw and switch to Telus. They are all gone. I now wish I had bought twice that many.

good man and possibly if it detects your paypal account with the creditcard, theyre probably just using paypal's billing system for creditcard donations thus there will possibly be no difference just that with paypal u can directly debit from your bank account.
Bandito

Bandito to Roofer

to Roofer
this may be a stupid question: what have u done with 8 PVRs?
Roofer

Roofer

said by Bandito:

this may be a stupid question: what have u done with 8 PVRs?

I sold them for cost ($105) to friends and co workers that canceled Shaw and went to Telus.
GAMEFUEL
join:2011-01-05

GAMEFUEL to Roofer

to Roofer
said by Roofer:

Because I canceled Shaw and moved to Telus, I am saving $540 in the first 12 months. I donated that to OpenMedia. I hope they continue to fight the good fight.

When I made the donation with my credit card, it informed me that I have a paypal account (it must have known that from the credit card number). Is there an advantage to donating via Paypal vs direct credit card?

It is a more secure way to pay so if you were unsure about a site and thought they might keep your credit card numbers or something you can use pay pal. Whoever you are paying never gets your credit card info.
iHateShaw
join:2009-05-16

iHateShaw

Is the 15-15-15 deal still available?
I currently have Telus Satellite TV and home phone and internet is with Shaw. Want to switch all 3 services to Telus (Optik TV and internet, plus home phone). Will I be able to get the 15-15-15 for a year, with a 1 year contract (only need 1 HD box)? How can I check how close I am to the DSLAM so I get at least 13 mbps speeds?

Thanks.