how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Roofer

join:2010-11-24
reply to Roofer

Re: How to switch from Shaw to Telus

Because I canceled Shaw and moved to Telus, I am saving $540 in the first 12 months. I donated that to OpenMedia. I hope they continue to fight the good fight.

When I made the donation with my credit card, it informed me that I have a paypal account (it must have known that from the credit card number). Is there an advantage to donating via Paypal vs direct credit card?

beamer69

join:2007-05-10
Mars
reply to Roofer
I read the full post plus others and still can't find an answer to my question.

I don't have any services with Telus but my old account number is still in their system.

Was originally was only interested in getting there "High speed turbo 25" that is a 25/2 connection on vdsl port and I think costs $61/month.

Reading these promo prices got me thinking. Now I am leaning towards getting tv/internet and phone with them.

Will they let you pay a bit more and get the Optik High Speed Turbo and how much more?

It is $8/month more for the promo three months on the website and $13/month more after that.

If I could get tv/internet and phone for 15+15+15 and they let me add on the faster internet for 8 or even 13 it would work out to be less then just getting the internet "High speed turbo 25" (that package isn't on their website you have to call into to get it. I know the internet will slow down when watching TV but I don't care about that.

15+15+15=45
15+23+15=53
15+28+15=58

Merin

@shawcable.net
If you can get the 15-15-15 ask them if you are able to get 25 megs in your area for 10 dollars more. That should up you to 55 bucks a month(if your area can support it) and then add in any PRV/digital box rental or just purchase one so as not to pay 5-10$ a month.

Bandito

join:2003-01-23
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to shawuser
said by shawuser:

No, it's not Optik TV. Ask them for High Speed Turbo 25.

Nada, just called and they said nope...not yet for High Speed Turbo 25.

Roofer

reply to Roofer
I bought 8 Telus HD-PVRs when it was on sale for $100 at Christmas time, 3 at the store, and 5 on-line before they started limiting it to one order per household. I figure it would help those who are planning to cancel Shaw and switch to Telus. They are all gone. I now wish I had bought twice that many.

kyoshiro

join:2011-02-03
Richmond, BC
said by Roofer:

I bought 8 Telus HD-PVRs when it was on sale for $100 at Christmas time, 3 at the store, and 5 on-line before they started limiting it to one order per household. I figure it would help those who are planning to cancel Shaw and switch to Telus. They are all gone. I now wish I had bought twice that many.

good man and possibly if it detects your paypal account with the creditcard, theyre probably just using paypal's billing system for creditcard donations thus there will possibly be no difference just that with paypal u can directly debit from your bank account.

Bandito

join:2003-01-23
reply to Roofer
this may be a stupid question: what have u done with 8 PVRs?

Roofer

said by Bandito:

this may be a stupid question: what have u done with 8 PVRs?

I sold them for cost ($105) to friends and co workers that canceled Shaw and went to Telus.

GAMEFUEL

join:2011-01-05
reply to Roofer
said by Roofer:

Because I canceled Shaw and moved to Telus, I am saving $540 in the first 12 months. I donated that to OpenMedia. I hope they continue to fight the good fight.

When I made the donation with my credit card, it informed me that I have a paypal account (it must have known that from the credit card number). Is there an advantage to donating via Paypal vs direct credit card?

It is a more secure way to pay so if you were unsure about a site and thought they might keep your credit card numbers or something you can use pay pal. Whoever you are paying never gets your credit card info.

iHateShaw

join:2009-05-16
Is the 15-15-15 deal still available?
I currently have Telus Satellite TV and home phone and internet is with Shaw. Want to switch all 3 services to Telus (Optik TV and internet, plus home phone). Will I be able to get the 15-15-15 for a year, with a 1 year contract (only need 1 HD box)? How can I check how close I am to the DSLAM so I get at least 13 mbps speeds?

Thanks.

HDman50

join:2010-12-22
The $15 with Telus is over. Satellite rates just went up. You could add TV with Shaw and get a PVR 3 yrs free rental no contract and then you own it out right was the latest flyer I got through my door for Shaw. The latest flyer last week from telus was 3 months $20 off. PVR still free rental if you want on contract but you wont own it and have to keep renegotiating (and no external HD use)

iHateShaw

join:2009-05-16
No. I'm done with Shaw. Optik TV is too good, plus I'm getting double internet speeds with Telus for the same price.

davisBC

join:2011-01-16
reply to iHateShaw
said by iHateShaw:

Is the 15-15-15 deal still available?
I currently have Telus Satellite TV and home phone and internet is with Shaw. Want to switch all 3 services to Telus (Optik TV and internet, plus home phone). Will I be able to get the 15-15-15 for a year, with a 1 year contract (only need 1 HD box)? How can I check how close I am to the DSLAM so I get at least 13 mbps speeds?

Thanks.

Umm.... maybe try the Telus forum?

grabeck

join:2003-07-17
Calgary, AB
reply to Roofer
Just interested where the "no contract" comes into play?

Everywhere I've seen on Telus' site they want to only give me a promo if I sign a 2 yr. contract.

Roofer

said by grabeck:

Just interested where the "no contract" comes into play?

Everywhere I've seen on Telus' site they want to only give me a promo if I sign a 2 yr. contract.

You sign a contract only if you accept a gift (such as the XBox or laptop), or if you want free PVR/digital-box rentals. Otherwise, no contracts are required to get their special prices.

Wiremonkey

join:2011-02-15
Maple Ridge, BC
reply to prairiesky
TELUS internet is provided on individual ports to each of its customers on an individual pair of wires within the TELUS cable. From port to modem there are no shared resources. The Shaw network is much different with all customer's data, phone services and TV delivered to your entire neighbourhood on a single coax that is shared by the entire customer base in that particular area. This can cause congestion and slowdowns at peak periods. This doesn't occur on the TELUS network.

Sorry this is a reply to a very old post.

rustydusty

join:2009-09-29
Red Deer County, AB
reply to Roofer
I love my Optik TV and Internet so far. Rock solid speeds, better TV service, better prices, etc. So glad I switched. As long as prices don't go way up and Telus doesn't start charging for overages, I will be happy.