Search similar:

uniqs

rustydusty
join:2009-09-29
Red Deer County, AB

rustydusty to Roofer

to Roofer

Re: How to switch from Shaw to Telus

Are you on a contract though? I might have to use Shaw to start, then switch to Telus after. Mostly cause I have a Shaw HD PVR already. Might just get a digital bundle through Shaw, and the High Speed 25 plan through Telus. Then get Telus TV after I move in and get settled in.
Roofer
join:2010-11-24

Roofer

said by rustydusty:

Are you on a contract though? I might have to use Shaw to start, then switch to Telus after. Mostly cause I have a Shaw HD PVR already. Might just get a digital bundle through Shaw, and the High Speed 25 plan through Telus. Then get Telus TV after I move in and get settled in.

I am not on a contract, and never will be.

It is important to do what is best for you. If that means dropping only Shaw internet for now, it is a start.
tired
join:2010-12-12

tired to rustydusty

to rustydusty
said by rustydusty:

When I called in to move my phone (moved my Internet to them already) I was asked if I wanted to sign up for TV as well. I said I was concerned about making a long-term commitment to either lock into a 3-year contract to get the PVR or purchase my own hardware.

She said the rental for a PVR was $15 a month, so with the $15-$15-$15 promo it would end up being $60 a month for a year with no contract. I think I read somewhere that the non-PVR digital boxes were $10/month. So that's an option too.

I just went with just the phone and Internet though. The TV looked cool, but my family barely used it when we had it from Shaw so I'm trying to see how it goes without it.

rustydusty
Red Deer County, AB

rustydusty to Roofer

to Roofer
Maybe I need to call Telus and see what I can get. Would loyalty be the best department to call?
Mike_C
join:2007-07-19
Vancouver, BC

Mike_C

said by rustydusty:

Would loyalty be the best department to call?

No. Start with regular customer service and see what they can offer. The more you call loyalty, the more it gets documented and the chances of them saying no increases.
crimsona
join:2011-01-13
Vancouver, BC

crimsona

I signed up for Telus Optik in Vancouver last summer when they were doing 10/10/10 instead of 15/15/15. I am also a former Shaw user, switching from the existing Shaw Student rate when they refused to match the Telus pricing.

If you don't buy the hardware, it's $10 a month to rent the HD box or $15 a month to rent the PVR. I got Internet + TV only at the 10/10 rate without much trouble (I asked, rep OKed it). The benefit of signing a contract is to get discounts on the rental ($5/month for 1 year, $10 for 2 years, $15 for 3 years), although the promo pricing only applies for the first 12 months.

In the end, I signed a 1 year contract for the 12 month promo price for Net (10) + TV (10) + HD box rental (10) - 1 year discount on rental ($5) + HST = $28. Free installation, no upfront hardware costs. ADSL2+, bandwidth unmonitored on the self-service website. Been happy with their service, although I dont watch TV at all (I have it only because I would use a landline even less)

rustydusty
Red Deer County, AB

rustydusty to Roofer

to Roofer
I will definently need to call Telus and figure out what I can get then.
xxsashixx
join:2006-12-27

xxsashixx to Roofer

to Roofer
HMMM interesting.. I called Telus, told me that I would get Turbo for 25$/month..called again asked for the 15$ and she said I would only get it for 61$ for High Speed Turbo... I'm gonna try again later
STEvil
Raymond, AB

STEvil to Roofer

to Roofer
I notice some people saying Telus does not charge overage fees.

I rent where I am and a friend down the street rents from the same people I do.

They have Telus where they are, we have Shaw. They get good download speeds on Telus (700KB/sec+) where I average 100-200KB/sec at most (5mbps package, get 1.5-2mbps on speedtest, this is with both a Terayon and a Surfboard I just got today).

Recently the people we rent from said they had overage fees on their Telus bill, which is odd to me as I know the people down the street are not huge heavy users like I am..

I have a question.

Since Shaw/Telus/etc do not provide an application to monitor data usage across multiple PC's (program installed on pc's, pulls number from their website somewhere) can legal actions be taken since you cannot reliably measure your usage?

Also because alternatives are not given (ie: 5mbps package with high data cap vs 15mbps package with lower data cap) can legal actions also be taken?
xxsashixx

xxsashixx

shaw does provide an application to monitor data... not accurate though IIRC

Also legal actions.. on shaws TOS/AUP it doesn't say anything that the customer has to manage his/her own bandwidth usage, so probably..? but they will come back and say that anyways..
STEvil
Raymond, AB

STEvil

Where is this application?

Since the AUP/TOS does not mention virus/malware/keepalive/etc does that mean overages can be defeated that way as well?
xxsashixx

xxsashixx

secure.shaw.ca, login, bandwidth meter
STEvil
Raymond, AB

STEvil

How do i log in, i'm not the account holder? Also if I havent already gone over it wont be activated anyways. Does this mean that anyone renting (who does not hold the account) is basically screwed?

.. and thirdly I dont want to do this every time I wish to look at my data used. A small program should be provided by the ISP.

This method is deceptive to the average user as most will not know about it and there is no mention of it in the materials the average user will read before using the product.
xxsashixx

xxsashixx

I agree but ISPs have their ways!

»stopthecap.com/2011/01/0 ··· my-rent/

similar problem..
Roofer

Roofer to STEvil

to STEvil
said by STEvil:

Recently the people we rent from said they had overage fees on their Telus bill,

Are they sure about this? If true, they would be the first people on earth to be charged for internet overage by Telus. Especially since Telus has said publicly that they will not do so.

We would love to see a scan of their bill (with names and account information blacked out). They are mostly likey talking about their cell phone service.
STEvil
Raymond, AB

STEvil

I will talk with them tomorrow if I remember to, hope you're right.

rustydusty
Red Deer County, AB

rustydusty to xxsashixx

to xxsashixx
High Speed Turbo is the internet included with Optik TV. High Speed 25 is the 25x3 internet by itself.
xxsashixx

xxsashixx

I can't get it only High Speed 15.. I can get Optik High Speed but not turbo

Merin
@shawcable.net

Merin

Anon

Meh at least turbo is more extreme then shaws extreme with a pathetic 100 gig usage limit.
xxsashixx

xxsashixx to Roofer

to Roofer
I can only get 15/1 though.. can I have two connections on one modem? Also cheaper to get dry loop?

rustydusty
Red Deer County, AB

rustydusty

Two connections on one modem? You mean two connections and bond them? The answer is no, unless you are on the business side of things. Wet or dry, I don't think the price will be different. Might get a little bit cheaper on wet with the 15-15-15 deal some people are getting.
xxsashixx

xxsashixx

I don't need TV or phone, sales rep told me I can only get it for 25$ for High Speed 15/1, I'll be missing my 100/5
CasperB
join:2011-01-14

CasperB to Roofer

to Roofer
15-15-15

Does anyone know if you can modify/upgrade the 15-15-15 deal if you stick with the $15 for Optik TV & free HDPVR, but upgrade to Optik High Speed Turbo & the Home Phone with 5 Features & Long Distance North America Unlimited?

Paying the difference for the High Speed Turbo internet and Phone plan of course. So $15(tv), $50(internet), $58(phone+LD).

routersRgood
@shawcable.net

routersRgood to STEvil

Anon

to STEvil
said by STEvil:

can legal actions be taken since you cannot reliably measure your usage?

Yes you can. Get a router that measures thoroughput.
STEvil
Raymond, AB

STEvil

Isnt it their responsibility to give you a tool to do it with?

If they want caps, they have to give you a way to measure your usage that is reliable by their measurement methods, otherwise you are shooting in the dark.

Also their TOS nor sign-up agreement make no mention of your requirement to have any hardware or software to measure your data usage in a method which lines up with their own.
STEvil

STEvil to Roofer

to Roofer
You were right, roomie was a 'tard

Also for something of worthy note, Shaw will be hooking up Raymond to fiber with March 1st being the official activation date.

Also everyone in town that has been paying for "High Speed" has actually only been getting "High Speed Lite" and if you call and complain you can get all of the months you paid for High Speed refunded.

edit - double reply, my bad.
Roofer

Roofer to CasperB

to CasperB
said by CasperB:

Does anyone know if you can modify/upgrade the 15-15-15 deal if you stick with the $15 for Optik TV & free HDPVR, but upgrade to Optik High Speed Turbo & the Home Phone with 5 Features & Long Distance North America Unlimited?

Paying the difference for the High Speed Turbo internet and Phone plan of course. So $15(tv), $50(internet), $58(phone+LD).

You can do much better. Here is what people are typically getting with the Telus $15-$15-$15.

$15 (Essentials TV with corresponding HD channels), $15 (15mbps internet, essentially High-Speed Turbo), and $15 (basic phone with 200 minutes free long-distance). But to get the free HD-PVR you typically need a 3-year contract. I rather buy the HD-PVR and keep my options open.

rustydusty
Red Deer County, AB

rustydusty to Roofer

to Roofer
That's not bad at all. Especially considering it's not on a contract. However, like I and a lot of other people, we don't want or need phone. I haven't found time to call Telus yet to get prices, but I'd love to see something for $60-70/month for Optik High Speed Turbo, and a descent TV package that includes a fair amount of HD channels. The HD box is not a big worry. I just don't want to give my money to Shaw for one, and I don't want to pay anymore than $100/month for sure.
Roofer

Roofer

It appears now Shaw is offering $9.95 television. This is further ammunition that you can use to get the Telus $10-$10-$10 deal.

»Review of Shaw by NinjaAction
Bandito
join:2003-01-23

Bandito

These $10 month TV promos are typically offered to brand new customers only or those who have left Shaw for more than 90 days. Good luck with Shaw trying to get this 10-10-10 deal if you are a current subscriber.