uniqs

nklb
Premium Member
join:2000-11-17
Ann Arbor, MI

nklb

Premium Member

Cool test

I should run something similar from my site. I get more probes from bots than from real people.
nklb

nklb

Premium Member

2001-12-15 01:21:45 Animals Like You Have Never Seen....... 12870

2001-12-15 14:06:42 Animals Like You Have Never Seen..... 31502

2001-11-25 11:16:25 5648 Would you like 822to lose weight while you sleep? 670617

2001-12-03 09:35:19 7368 Would you like to lose weight while you sleep? 3992134

Interesting, are they keeping tabs on the number of emails they send out?

inGearX
3.1415 9265
join:2000-06-11
New York

inGearX

HOW!!! my hotmail.com mail was taken!!!

I opened a fresh new hotmail account and was extremely careful with it. Only a few of my friends had that e-mail address. And I never used it to register anywhere...

And then a few weeks afterwards I began receiving SPAM!!!

How could that be!? It might very well that someone working at hotmal.com sneaked it out!?

Thanks for helping...

nklb
Premium Member
join:2000-11-17
Ann Arbor, MI

nklb

Premium Member

yeah, there are so many hotmail accounts that people (spammers) run programs that spam every hotmail account (a-z, aa-zz, aaa-zzz, etc...)

This could be an interesting test. create a 3-letter hotmail account and a 7 letter account. see how long it takes each to get spam.

Joe Z
@bbnow.net

Joe Z to nklb

Anon

to nklb

Re: Cool test

Outlook/Exchange purportedly will send the subject of the email when you click on a link within the email, so perhaps this is a way of tying a click-through to an email address.

zzaab1
@sympatico.ca

zzaab1 to nklb

Anon

to nklb

Re: HOW!!! my hotmail.com mail was taken!!!

I have a 14 character login at Hotmail that has never been spammed. The ones that are less that 7 characters have all received spam. I would attribute this to a sqequential attack as was described earlier.

nekote
join:2000-12-16
Hopkinton, MA

nekote to nklb

to nklb

Alternative SPAM trap

FWIW:
An alternative method, *** IF ***, you own your own domain name that has email.

Provide a unique "name" (to each and every?) contact you provide an email name. Say, amazon@mydomain.com, dslreports@mydomain.com, cnn@mydomain.com, yahoo@mydomain.com ...

Then, if email arrives from other than the original contact, you will know where the leak was.

Copzilla$
Mmm... Donuts
join:2000-10-10
Friendswood, TX

Copzilla$

I do this too. I currently have about 25 email addresses killed because of all the ass40L3 companies that sold the addresses. This would include nfl.com, mlb.com, many more. I do it exactly like you say.

The spam tips off who sold it, at which time I begin forwarding that entire email address to the CEO of the company that sold it, or the support email address.

nekote
join:2000-12-16
Hopkinton, MA

nekote

Ahh, forwarding it to the CEO.

Now That's Cool!

OTOH, "an eye for an eye and pretty soon the whole world will be blind" - an email for an email ... now where's that gonna' lead? ;(
kitsune
join:2001-11-26
Sacramento, CA

kitsune to nklb

to nklb

Re: Cool test

one thing I did that kept me from getting spam for years was to begin my email account with a _. I opened it about 6 years ago and didn't start getting spam until about a year ago and I think that was my fault.. I accidentally used it to register somewhere without thinking about it... most email providers won't allow you to use that as a beginning character so they don't usually catch those ones.

Lyc360
join:2001-09-23
Davidsonville, MD

Lyc360 to nklb

to nklb
great idea.

AS an old timer, I used variations on my name for magazine subscriptions in the past to track this sort of thing. Now it's email addresses. Plus c'a change, plus c'a meme chose, as they say.
gotacap
join:2001-12-22
Arlington, TX

gotacap to nekote

to nekote

Re: Alternative SPAM trap

I use this method too, every time I need to fill out an e-mail address I make up one on the spot, but I take it a step further, for my personal friends I also group my e-mail messages telling different groups of my personal friends and family different addresses as well, this way if I even get spammed at one of these for some unknown reason (like if one of them fw's me a message along with dozens of other people, I HATE it when that happens) I just kill that address too and only have to tell a few friends a new address. It's a great way to keep the spam down.

In response to the replies, hmm, I never thought about fwing it back to the company that sold my e-mail address, how clever.