All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Reciprocity2
join:2010-12-18
Burlington, ON

Reciprocity2

[Help] TOYOTA Dealership Leaves me with broken parts in a box...

HELP!!! Can someone please share with me either a similar experience, or perhaps just some good advice? My Local TOYOTA DEALER "RUINED" my truck and then left me with my parts in a box and sent me packing!!!

I will try to keep this as brief as possible to avoid boredom - But I do want to include the details so I may be given some good advice...

Yesterday, I took my 2008 Toyota Tundra 4x4 pickup for a Lube/Oil&Filter change at my local dealership (Not the one that I bough the truck from). I decided to try a dealership that was about 10 minutes from my home instead of the one I bought the truck from which is approx 35 minutes drive away.

Anyhow - When I purchased the truck 3 years ago, I requested an aftermarket "Splash Guard" or Rock Guard be installed on my truck. It is approx. a 4' wide by 3' deep thick aluminum panel that gets bolted to the frame between the tires on the front undercarriage to protect the motor if ever I was off-roading, or ran over some large sharp items that could pierce the oil pan or worse...plus it looks really great)

Bottom line - this dealership has been newly renovated so that when vehicles are brought there for simply an oil change, they do not even go into the main dealership garage - there is a new "EXPRESS-LUBE" bay off to the side of the dealership where you pull in and the idea is to PULL OUT HAPPY 20 minutes later.

WELL - First and foremost I would like to point out that the guy under my truck was "Not the sharpest knife in the drawer" as I witnessed him cleaning (I MEAN SOAKING HIS HANDS AND ARMS) his hands and arms with BRAKE PARTS CLEANER. When I told him of the dangers of that directly entering his bloodstream and causing cancer, he smiled at me with his best 'DELIVERANCE' impression.

ANYHOW - the guard plate is attached by several bolts and brackets (2 of which go directly under the front 2 tow-hooks.) In order to release this guard plate, there are 4 bolts and 4 #15 torx screws near the tow hooks, so that you can access the oil filter, and drain plug WITH OUT HAVING TO REMOVE THE TOW HOOKS FROM THE FRONT.

This guy had obviously never seen one before, as he took his largest impact wrench and began to work on the bolts holding in the tow hooks...Once he had snapped the first 2 bolts CLEAN off that hold the driver side tow hooks on, he proceeded to snap another bolt clean off (Only the head came off of the truck leaving the entire shaft of the 3 - 3/4" X 3"deep bolts in the frame of the truck.) May I again point out that had he known what he was doing - there were "Bracket release screws" so he did not have to go anywhere near the tow hooks. Anyhow - Once the damage was done, And my oil changed - I was given my truck back with the Large Aluminum Plate part in the back BOX of my truck and MOST of the screws/Bolts/Brackets/Washers etc. in a small cardboard box and was told that there is nothing that can be done to put the aftermarket (Toyota OEM part) back on my truck because of the snapped off bolts and was told to take it to my ORIGINAL DEALERSHIP WHO INSTALLED THE GUARD IN THE FIRST PLACE. Remember that this is a TOYOTA DEALERSHIP, and a TOYOTA part that I am referring to the whole time.

When I took it to my ORIGINAL Dealership - they were furious at what had happened to me and told me to go back there to the scene of the crime and demand that this matter be taken care of.

Here are the problems: There are 3 LARGE bolts that have been snapped off and are stuck in my truck frame.
There are parts missing for my bracket and I checked - you can NOT order a hardware package for this special shield, you must purchase a whole new one ($475.00 + 1/2 labor to install) to get any new parts for the ones that they lost or broke during the process.

Second problem - The Service Manager is VERY RUDE, and CONDESCENDING.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE RECOMMEND WHAT I SHOULD DO? I have had to sue a car dealership before an it is NOT fun. All I want is to have my truck back in the condition it was in when I drove to the dealership in the first place!

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium Member
join:2000-08-05
united state

Snakeoil

Premium Member

Re: [Help] TOYOTA Dealership Leaves me with broken parts in a bo

File a complaint with the BBB. Look at the local news stations and see who has a consumer investigator. Talk with them, to get it on the news. That alone will get most business to budge.

gar187er
I DID this for a living
join:2006-06-24
Seattle, WA

gar187er to Reciprocity2

to Reciprocity2
did you mention the skid plate to them at the oil change place? did you tell them they didnt need to take the hooks out?

yet another reason to do things yourself...especially with aftermarket parts on the vehicle....
Dime
Premium Member
join:2002-05-14
Ohio

Dime to Reciprocity2

Premium Member

to Reciprocity2
Also call Toyota corporate and let them know what happened.

FordTech1
Premium Member
join:2005-06-22
Katy, TX

FordTech1 to Reciprocity2

Premium Member

to Reciprocity2
Hello,
Go back to the MAIN dealer. Not the GOOFY-LUBE part who destroyed the bolts.
Go to the show room floor and ask for the Customer Relations Manager and or the General Manager.
Show them the broken bolts and parts and explain what happened,
If the dealer is worth 2 cents, they will take care of it.
Get a FREE RENTAL car if you have to leave the Truck there for service.
Tell them you DO NOT want the QUICK-LUBE doing the repair. Get it done in the MAIN SHOP by the Service Tech's and not the $10.00 per hr Goofy-Lube Kids.
Reciprocity2
Burlington, ON

Reciprocity2

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR REPLIES... I am new to this message board and I was so happy to see all of the replies so quickly. It feels great to have a community of people who actually care when you need to "vent"!

I am going to go there this morning.

Just to clarify...The part was after market (Not a stock item) but STILL a Genuine Toyota Skid Plate for off roading. I was quite upset to see that they have "stream-lined' the oil change process by having a 20 - 22 year old down in the pit.

There is no way that considering how old he is that he has the experience to tackle complicated issues.

I also did not post that when the fool broke the first bolt, he went and grabbed a senior mechanic from the main Garage bay, and even HE grabbed hold of a 3/4" - 24" long socket bar, and proceeded to snap off the other bolt. When I took the item from Oakville Toyota, to Milton Toyota where I bought the truck, they found a 3rd bolt that was snapped off that I was not even told about!

Anyhow - I am on my way there now to "Ruin" their peaceful morning. LMAO.

WISH ME LUCK!!!!

I WILL POST MY EXPERIENCE (GOOD/BAD) when I return!

THANKS AGAIN!!!!

TTYGS!!!!

MIKE

MEDIAN2k3
Your Ad Here
Premium Member
join:2002-12-04
Howard Beach, NY

MEDIAN2k3 to Reciprocity2

Premium Member

to Reciprocity2
Good luck let us know how it turns out
sailor
Premium Member
join:2003-10-21
Long Island

sailor to Reciprocity2

Premium Member

to Reciprocity2
said by Reciprocity2:

ANYHOW - the guard plate is attached by several bolts and brackets (2 of which go directly under the front 2 tow-hooks.) In order to release this guard plate, there are 4 bolts and 4 #15 torx screws near the tow hooks, so that you can access the oil filter, and drain plug WITH OUT HAVING TO REMOVE THE TOW HOOKS FROM THE FRONT.

This guy had obviously never seen one before, as he took his largest impact wrench and began to work on the bolts holding in the tow hooks

Since you were there while the work was being performed and didn't just drop the truck off and leave it you should have informed them on what they needed to do to be able to access the oil filter. You should have given him instructions before he started the oil/filter change.

Regardless if this after-market splashguard is from Toyota or from JC Whitney...It is still an after-market part that the guy might have never seen before and just eye balled on how he thought he could get to the oil filter. If you had told him before hand this never would have happened.

Sorry it happened and if I was the dealer I would take care of you but I would also tell you that I feel you are partially responsible for what happened by not informing the lube personnel what you had previously had installed resulting making access to the oil filter different than the normal way.
29223238 (banned)
join:2009-04-22

29223238 (banned) to Reciprocity2

to Reciprocity2
It sucks. I try to do as much maintenance as possible on my own vehicles. I really cringe when I have to take my vehicles in to get worked on when it is beyond my scope of capabilities.
billydunwood
join:2008-04-23
united state

billydunwood to sailor

to sailor
said by sailor:

said by Reciprocity2:

This guy had obviously never seen one before, as he took his largest impact wrench and began to work on the bolts holding in the tow hooks

Since you were there while the work was being performed and didn't just drop the truck off and leave it you should have informed them on what they needed to do to be able to access the oil filter. You should have given him instructions before he started the oil/filter change.

Regardless if this after-market splashguard is from Toyota or from JC Whitney...It is still an after-market part that the guy might have never seen before and just eye balled on how he thought he could get to the oil filter. If you had told him before hand this never would have happened.

Sorry it happened and if I was the dealer I would take care of you but I would also tell you that I feel you are partially responsible for what happened by not informing the lube personnel what you had previously had installed resulting making access to the oil filter different than the normal way.

Partially responsible? You would think that Toyota personnel would know toyota parts. If the mechanic doesnt know how to get the splash guard off without damaging it, then they should ask the customer. Sure the customer SHOULD tell them, but if he doesnt it doesnt make him partially responsible. Although i would tell them how to get it off from now on.

salzan
Experienced Optimist
Premium Member
join:2004-01-08
WA State

salzan to sailor

Premium Member

to sailor

said by sailor See Profile

I don't think it was the OP's responsibility to tell the mechanic (?) how to do his job. I've had guys get downright testy if you try to tell them something like that.

IMO, the mechanic should have seen how to get the guard off or asked someone if he didn't. If the OP was there, it would have been easy enough to ask him if he knew anything about it or at least inform him there was a problem after the first bolt broke.

As others have said, I would go straight to the dealership management and escalate to the regional offices if that didn't get results in short order.
43085198 (banned)

43085198 (banned) to sailor

to sailor
You need to instruct the person at the service place HOW to do service ??

Mchart
First There.
join:2004-01-21
Kaneohe, HI

Mchart to Reciprocity2

to Reciprocity2
You need to speak to the GM and/or some other person high up at that dealership. As allready suggested.

If that doesn't work, you need to call up Toyota Corporate and complain about this dealerships service.
Mchart

Mchart to 43085198

to 43085198
said by 43085198:

You need to instruct the person at the service place HOW to do service ??

This is why I no longer bring my cars to be serviced by any mechanic. Dealer, or not dealer. A good amount of the younger generation that now fill the ranks of workers that do these jobs are shitheads. No better word for it. Complete shit heads, and lack any personal responsibility. Service managers that also act similar make this problem worse.

IMO, for simple stuff like changing the oil I would just do it yourself. You have a truck anyways. Not exactly hard changing the oil on a truck as you don't have to get the car vertical to access what you need to access.

The shitheads ruined even the simple stuff like oil changes when they started doing stuff like not replacing the filter, or stealing the more expensive oil I bring in.

So yes, the expectation these days if that you need to monitor all work done and be there for any potential damage control if they decide to do something stupid. Which brings up why you'd even bother paying for this level of service when you could have just done it yourself and not have to worry about anything.

The final straw for me was when they damaged the paint job on my car when putting the car up on a lift. Had one time where when I got home and checked the dipstick the oil was obviously still soot filled and not new at all - Meaning they took it back there and did nothing and stole my $60 worth of Synthetic. Had one time where the paint job was damaged beyond the time I allready mentioned. Same thing to - They did it while putting it up on the lift.

All that crap I mentioned isn't one dealership either. Each time was from a completely different type of place.

I honestly feel sorry for 'Average Joe' who knows dick-all about cars and brings his car in for service. If it has been anything like my service experiance has been - He is getting screwed on an almost consistant basis.

BonezX
Basement Dweller
Premium Member
join:2004-04-13
Canada

BonezX

Premium Member

allot of it has to do with the people doing the work not giving a shit, their usually related to the owner of the places in some way or shape.

MooJohn
join:2005-12-18
Milledgeville, GA

MooJohn to Reciprocity2

to Reciprocity2
If the mechanic didn't know how to remove the plate he should have stopped, either to ask another employee or to ask the customer. They could even have refused to do the oil change.

Once he decided to start snapping bolts the responsibility is on that dealership to make it right. You can have it repaired elsewhere and hand them the bill. They broke it and they are responsible for making it right. There's no magic "not my fault" clause because you had an aftermarket part on your vehicle.

You may get some resistance but they don't have a choice. Either they or their insurance company has to pay for the damage to your vehicle. Notify Toyota corporate if you have to. Talk to a lawyer too. Then they'll owe the repair and legal fees.
Expand your moderator at work
fixrman
From a broken heart to a hole in the sky
Premium Member
join:2003-02-10
Hatboro, PA
·Verizon FiOS

fixrman to Reciprocity2

Premium Member

to Reciprocity2

Firstly, if the part is genuine Toyota, it is not considered aftermarket. Secondly, I have a hard time believing that a guy broke off bolts for a rock guard then put all the broken parts in your truck, leaving you to deal with it but... I have seen some dumb things.

If this all did happen as you say, return to the dealership and calmly explain what happened to the Service Advisor, showing your receipt for previous service. If that doesn't work, ask for the Service Manager. If he does not help you ask to speak to the General Manager. I'd be surprised if you need to go to step three.

Mospaw
My socks don't match.

join:2001-01-08
New Braunfels, TX

Mospaw to Anon

to Anon

(topic move) [Help] TOYOTA Dealership Leaves me with broken part

Moderator Action
The post that was here (and all 2 followups to it), has been moved to a new topic .. »[Help] TOYOTA Dealership Leaves me with broken parts in a bo
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to Reciprocity2

Premium Member

to Reciprocity2

follow the manager chain and if that fails call up Toyota itself. if it is one of their parts and the person working on the car did not know how to properly remove it, than it is their job to seek help from either other shop workers, databases or even the phone. my guess is Toyota has a support line for its shop workers to get questions answered.

Xstar_Lumini
join:2008-12-14
CANADA

1 edit

Xstar_Lumini to Snakeoil

to Snakeoil
said by Snakeoil:

File a complaint with the BBB. Look at the local news stations and see who has a consumer investigator. Talk with them, to get it on the news. That alone will get most business to budge.

LMAO, really, is that the best advice you can give him? The BBB has less tooth than the U.N., they will write down the incident on a book and tell the OP to avoid going to places like this

Sue them for double what your thing costs + lawyers fees. I would love for this to have ocurred to me, I would make a profit out of it.

TypeNameHere
@tmodns.net

TypeNameHere to Reciprocity2

Anon

to Reciprocity2
said by Reciprocity2:

------snip!------
When I purchased the truck 3 years ago, I requested an aftermarket "Splash Guard" or Rock Guard be installed on my truck.
------snip!------
Remember that this is a TOYOTA DEALERSHIP, and a TOYOTA part that I am referring to the whole time.
-----snip!-----
There are parts missing for my bracket and I checked - you can NOT order a hardware package for this special shield, you must purchase a whole new one ($475.00 + 1/2 labor to install) to get any new parts for the ones that they lost or broke during the process.

Well???????

Is it an aftermarket or Toyota factory authorized add on component (this is where you stammer and then cop to the fact it is a AFTERMARKET POS mde in Chiwahnastan by genuine Pakiwani's).
Toyota does not offer a TRD bash plate.
G'head and check, I'll wait......

It probably fit so poorly and had chinese top quality bolts of dubious thread pitch and consistancy that they just broke for no apparent reason (hint: bottom barrel chinese bolts just do that).

You can buy quality bolts for 1-2$ each at MOST.
They come in every size, just ask

If it had rolled into my stall I would have told the service writer to get it the F out of my house, I don't fight with Chinese made junk like that.

I'll put money on it that it was a "Fabtech" POS.
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

rody_44

Premium Member

Agreed, just because a dealer installed it does not make it a genuine toyota part. But its still the dealers problem as far as im concerned.
They broke it and they need to fix it.