uniqs
share rss forum feed

saillaw
Premium
join:2007-05-08
Dismay
kudos:2

Solo instances for Mounts

So after wiping for 4 hours and not being able to down one of the heroic bosses last night, I decided I needed some "alone time" and decided to run some instances for mounts.

As prot pally, solo running heroic Shetekk (spelling?) for the raven mount took 7min 35 sec from entry to last boss. Doing magister's terrace heroic took 9min 28 sec.

Feeling cocky, I then decided to try UP heroic for the mount. That took longer (forgot to time it) and I had to be more careful about what I pulled. I also skipped one boss, but was able to solo the boss that drops the mount. I had a blast doing these runs and highly suggest this to anyone looking for a break from BG's, questing and randoms.

Unfortunately, none of the mounts dropped for me. But, I will probably run all three again tonight and may also go for the horse mount in Kara and Lord Rivendale's mount in Stratholm.

Hordeforlife

join:2009-05-13
Harrisonville, MO

Good times! What level are you now?

I am seriously looking forward to the day when my soon to be level 85 Pally can solo Black Temple... my 60 rogue wants those warglaives!!

Trel
Good Evening
Premium
join:2002-10-08
Hillsborough, NJ

said by Hordeforlife:

I am seriously looking forward to the day when my soon to be level 85 Pally can solo Black Temple... my 60 rogue wants those warglaives!!

How would that work?
--
/chown -R us:us /yourbase

xenograffiti4

join:2009-06-19
Dallas, TX
reply to saillaw

GL

I was on a solo mount farming kick for the last few months of wrath - Baron, Kara, Sethekk, ZG and HMT. Got me exactly zero mounts.. QQ.

So yeah probably won't be doing any of that for awhile.

saillaw
Premium
Dismay
reply to Hordeforlife

I'm 85 but only have a blizzard item level of about 340. So the gear requirements are not too hard. You do have to use CD's though, at least in UP heroic.

I'm not sure BT can be solo'd yet. I suspect my dps (I was hitting about 10K as prot in the lower level instances and about 7.5K in UP heroic) wouldn't be fast enough to avoid the enrage timers. I also suspect that some of the mechanics might not be doable solo.

I've not been back in BT since BC so would have to relearn the fights.

xenograffiti4

join:2009-06-19
Dallas, TX
reply to Hordeforlife

said by Hordeforlife:

I am seriously looking forward to the day when my soon to be level 85 Pally can solo Black Temple...

That day is far off, Illidari Council can't be solo'd.

saillaw
Premium
Dismay
reply to xenograffiti4

Yes I was self-QQ'ing that I couldn't do ZG anymore. I used to solo those on my feral druid and gave up after many runs with no luck.

You will be amazed though at how fast you can run old content now. You no longer aggro most of the mobs unless you are about 2-3 yards from them, so you can simply skip big chunks of the instances.

Hordeforlife

Harrisonville, MO
reply to Trel

said by Trel:

said by Hordeforlife:

How would that work?

Dual Box... two accounts and lots of stealth

Trel
Good Evening
Premium
join:2002-10-08
Hillsborough, NJ

said by Hordeforlife:

said by Trel:

said by Hordeforlife:

How would that work?

Dual Box... two accounts and lots of stealth

Ah, two accounts. I was wondering how you planned to get the glaives to him.
--
/chown -R us:us /yourbase

Hordeforlife

Harrisonville, MO
reply to xenograffiti4

said by xenograffiti4:

said by Hordeforlife:

I am seriously looking forward to the day when my soon to be level 85 Pally can solo Black Temple...

That day is far off, Illidari Council can't be solo'd.

You're probably right, but perhaps it can be duo'd with a Paladin and Deathknight... fun trying nonetheless

Xeno

join:2010-11-30
Charlotte, NC
reply to saillaw

I just found out yesterday from MMO that there is a rare spawn in Deepholme. It's a rare drake that starts out friendly. I guess you jump on it's back to fight and when you kill it (it's got 750k health) you get a drake mount when you loot it.

Sounds cool, going to keep my eyes out for it.

VinceAtLSU

join:2008-09-22
Slidell, LA

said by Xeno:

I just found out yesterday from MMO that there is a rare spawn in Deepholme. It's a rare drake that starts out friendly. I guess you jump on it's back to fight and when you kill it (it's got 750k health) you get a drake mount when you loot it.

I hope it's phased. i would hate to get ganked with 10k hp to go.

Xeno

join:2010-11-30
Charlotte, NC

said by VinceAtLSU:

said by Xeno:

I hope it's phased. i would hate to get ganked with 10k hp to go.

Don't know. I'm on a PvE server so I didn't think of that.

saillaw
Premium
Dismay
reply to saillaw

Also, just to add to my original post, I did the first boss (attune the huntsman) in Kara last night and he is easy and fast solo as a prot pally. No mount dropped though.

I had forgotten what a pain in the ass the Kara attunment quest line is, that took me a couple of hours of running arround to get the key since my pally wasn't attuned.

Laser67

join:2009-08-27
Hudson, NH
kudos:1

I solo'd that on my Pally and Druid tanks at 80. It has been soloable for quite some time. BTW you don't need to get attuned. BS can open it. Or you can take off your armor, argo some of the mobs and then just rez inside the gate. Use to do it all the time on the druid. Pally is a BS. Of course now that you are attuned it is easy to get in.

I solo'd most of Kara on my druid at 80, didn't do the the two upper optional bosses.

saillaw
Premium
Dismay

said by Laser67:

I solo'd that on my Pally and Druid tanks at 80. It has been soloable for quite some time. BTW you don't need to get attuned. BS can open it. Or you can take off your armor, argo some of the mobs and then just rez inside the gate. Use to do it all the time on the druid. Pally is a BS. Of course now that you are attuned it is easy to get in.

I solo'd most of Kara on my druid at 80, didn't do the the two upper optional bosses.

Yeah I knew it was soloable at 80, I just wanted to report that its a cake now, not strategy needed. And it takes only about 4 min from entering the instance to downing the boss.

I didn't remember how much a pain in the ass getting the key was until I was half way through the quest line, if I had remembered, I would definately have taken one of your options.

Did you ever get the mount? I've never seen it drop and ran Kara every reset for about a year when it first came out.

Feramors

join:2010-05-07
Saint Louis, MO
reply to Xeno

said by Xeno:

You don't fight it. Right after you jump on it's back, it takes you for a "ride" through Deepholm, and that's how you battle him. If you make it to the end, you get the reins.

I think there may be some small adds at some point, but MMO spoke of them as nothing more than a bother. the rest is probably pushing Right when it says to push right, left when it says push left, etc.

Hordeforlife

Harrisonville, MO
reply to saillaw

said by saillaw:

Also, just to add to my original post, I did the first boss (attune the huntsman) in Kara last night and he is easy and fast solo as a prot pally. No mount dropped though.

I had forgotten what a pain in the ass the Kara attunment quest line is, that took me a couple of hours of running arround to get the key since my pally wasn't attuned.

I park a rogue at the gate on my second account to let me in

Laser67

Hudson, NH

Guess that makes it easier in two ways. Rogue opens the door and helps you form a raid group.

Voxxjin
Made of Hamburger
Premium
join:2010-01-13
Dupont, WA
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
reply to Feramors

said by Feramors:

said by Xeno:

You don't fight it. Right after you jump on it's back, it takes you for a "ride" through Deepholm, and that's how you battle him. If you make it to the end, you get the reins.

I have to remember to look it up to see where he spawns and keep an eye out for it. Any idea what it is called?
--
Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war

saillaw
Premium
Dismay
reply to Laser67

For the raid group, I did the old invite a guild member, form raid, promote guild member to raid leader, log out, log into an alt, have guild member invite my alt to raid, log out, log back into main, have guild member promote me to raid leader, thank guild member, then guild member leaves group, I now am in a raid with my logged out alt.

I did run all the mount instances again last night (strat I ran 3 times) and after no mount drops I decided to go back into Kara and see if I could clear it solo. It was actually quite easy to clear the whole instance solo. I wasn't able to call down the one dragon outside (forget his name) since I havent done that quest with my pally. I also wasnt able to get the dragon down where you have to stand in the 3 beams... I would get him to 50% and then have the debuff and not be able to stand in the green beam again, he would heal to full health again before my debuff would wear off... this will take a strange tactict to be able to solo.

The chess event also took several tries. I finally won it by moving my two rooks into the middle of the board so they could aoe, using my queen to take out the other side's healers and then just dps's the king with my queen. It was a close one, my king had only 1000hp left when I got their king down. The last boss was easy-sauce.

The big news: After clearing Kara, and running all the mount instances, and three runs of strat, I made 1100 gold just from looting corpses and vendoring trash, and vendoring BOP epics and blues (whishing I was an enchanter), also a couple of BOP greens, which I don't think I had realized even exsisted before last night. I also had one BOE epic (Kang the Decapitator), a couple of BOE blues and about 30 BOE greens, plus a ton of potions, cloth and other items, all of which are now sitting on the AH. For about 3 hours of play time it was actually quite profitable, and of course there is always a chance one of the mounts will drop.

Laser67

Hudson, NH

said by saillaw:

I also wasnt able to get the dragon down where you have to stand in the 3 beams... I would get him to 50% and then have the debuff and not be able to stand in the green beam again, he would heal to full health again before my debuff would wear off... this will take a strange tactict to be able to solo.

That is one that I skipped when I did it at lvl 80, but latter I ready you can pull him out into the hallway and there by avoid the beams. Though that isn't really soloing the encounter per say as you are cheesing it.

saillaw
Premium
Dismay

said by Laser67:

said by saillaw:

I also wasnt able to get the dragon down where you have to stand in the 3 beams... I would get him to 50% and then have the debuff and not be able to stand in the green beam again, he would heal to full health again before my debuff would wear off... this will take a strange tactict to be able to solo.

That is one that I skipped when I did it at lvl 80, but latter I ready you can pull him out into the hallway and there by avoid the beams. Though that isn't really soloing the encounter per say as you are cheesing it.

I might try this tonight, but I'm not sure I'll have the range to be able to pull him to the hallway... I think the doors automatically close as soon as he is aggroed.

Laser67

Hudson, NH

Found this trick for you.

Netherspite is actually soloable, relatively easily. All that it requires is for you to run into the room while he is patrolling, drop a consecration in the path and then run out the room. If the consecration pulls him, then he'll run through the door to you, negating the entire beam part of the fight. Then you just have to tank him against, say, the bookcase so he doesn't knock you off the ledge and to your death.

Another option was : Do Netherspite as ret... Basically it's a race to burn him down before the beams appear a second time. You take all the beams the first time, by tanking him right over by the window (beyond where the blue beam will spawn)

Another thing I found was for chest

Chess can be solo'd but you need to be lucky. Start with the king (hero), then drop immediately and grab the queen. use the queen to burn down the other sides queen and healers. If your unlucky with the cheats you'll lose, it'll reset and you have to try again. Otherwise you're probably ok.

Good Luck.

saillaw
Premium
Dismay

Thanks! I'll try Netherspite tonight.. .probably the consecration method since I have holy as offspec.

On the Chess event, I tried that method the first three times and didnt even get close, by the time I was almost finished with the second healer either my king was dead or my queen got killed. The method I described above with the two rooks seemed to work a lot better.

Goodmongo

@167.6.247.x
reply to saillaw

What I did as a druid in fighting Nethespite was to position myself in cat form near the door. Do a ranged attack and run through door. You have a little over a second to do this and isn't that har. Once you pull him the beams no longer matter and he is super easy.

As for gold making kara really shines in the first half through Opera. You make about the same amount of gold in both halves but the first half takes way less time to do.

Chess is iffy due to the 'cheat' that is played against you. If centered on your king while it can't move you lose. Simple strategy is to move a couple of the pawns forward. Use you king while staying in range of the healers to burn down anything that comes your way. I have found that the enemy king comes to you and gets out of range of his healers.

Laser67

Hudson, NH
reply to saillaw

Let me know how it goes.

Laser67

Hudson, NH
reply to Goodmongo

Now that I think about it that is how I did it.

boudro
The Cowboys are America's Team
Premium
join:2000-09-05
Texas
reply to saillaw

How long are we talking to finish Kara?
--
How about them Cowboys!

saillaw
Premium
Dismay

It took me about an hour and a half, but part of that was because I got lost a few times and part because I didn't know a strategy for the Chess event or Netherspite. Now that I know those I bet I can do it next reset in under an hour. I'll time it next time and let you know.

One other thing, I thought I remembered there being a bat boss in the basement, but when I went in there I couldnt find any bosses?