spc
Search similar:

uniqs

WispGuy
@comcast.net

WispGuy

Anon

Fairpoint will set NH back another 5 years

Fairpoint installs a SLIC, and puts in cards for 25 subscribers on a road that has 200 houses. They can tell the state that 200 homes is "yourtown" NH has DSL coverage. Then they disappear. As they do so, they set an expectation that broadband is worth $19.95/month, dooming their more rural customers to NO broadband because the WISPS are driven out of business. Who wins here?? 25 customers in a town. The rest of you get screwed yet one more time by Fairpoint. Smarten up folks. Their business plan is to go bankrupt two more times, screw every vendor, most subscribers and walk away from the mess they are creating.
RHALEY3RD
join:2010-12-15
Stoddard, NH

RHALEY3RD

Re: Fairpoint will set NH back another 5 years

I disagree with that viewpoint.

We recently had the equipment installed in Stoddard, NH for DSL service, and my personal experience with Fairpoint from speaking with customer service to setup the install, to the technician who installed the service was excellent. Speed consistently matches the bandwidth for the plan selected. Wireless / packet radio modem service at this location would have been marginal (at best) and required excessive up-front equipment charges for (1/8) the bandwidth Fairpoint is providing now. Your statement may be true in some areas of the state - I have no way of knowing what Fairpoint is doing throughout the entire state of NH - however in this area Fairpoint appears to have delivered on their promise.

Sense I got from talking with the install technician is that Fairpoint continues to install/upgrade new equipment where they have the opportunity to do so, then go back and try to clean up the mess Verizon left before they bailed on the state. Given how eager Verizon was to exit from ME/VT/NH, I suspect it's quite a mess (& challenge) for them to clean up, qualify, test, and integrate the old fiber buildout VZ half-attempted into their network: particularly in rural areas like ours. The good new is, at least they are doing something about it & moving forward.
Pilgrim2
join:2002-02-26
Swanzey, NH

Pilgrim2

My experience with Fairpoint is very similar to RHALEY3RD. I'm in outlying rural area near Keene, NH. Time Warner ran new cable down my road and then stopped 4 houses before mine. I spoke with engineers and techs and they said they had no plans to bring TW cable any further. Within 6 months, Fairpoint delivered the goods; DSL @ 7000/740 which is what I get consistently. The techs, installers and customer service reps have ALL been knowledgeable, gracious and more than helpful in getting the new system up and running smoothly.

For someone to demand that a company provide DSL to 83% of the population of a designated area within 2 years is insanity. High-speed Internet is NOT, I repeat... is NOT a "right". It is a perk and a great one too when you can get it. I was more than happy to have satellite for 7 years rather than having to deal with dialup. Personally, I congratulate Fairpoint for taking the plunge, sticking their neck out and giving it all they have so that people like me in remote areas can have DSL service. I waited years for this and I am thankful to have it.

WISPguy
@comcast.net

WISPguy

Anon

You are both right, but missing the point. You are one of the lucky few. Everyone else in your area is screwed, and the small providers now have no incentive to serve your neighbors. Pilgrim2, Fairpoint had a choice: accept the conditions or not accept them. They chose to agree to the terms, knowing they could not achieve them. In other words, they lied to the people of NH. And that is the problem I have with them, as well as the fact that when they declare bankruptcy (part of their business plan from all indications ) they screw the vendors, including a ton of local business that provide service to their vehicles, gas stations, wire distributors, etc. Then they pass the cost of the bankruptcy on to us in increased rates. Doesn't that bother anyone other than me??
Pilgrim2
join:2002-02-26
Swanzey, NH

Pilgrim2

"Everyone else in your area is screwed, and the small providers now have no incentive to serve your neighbors. Pilgrim2, Fairpoint had a choice: accept the conditions or not accept them. They chose to agree to the terms, knowing they could not achieve them. In other words, they lied to the people of NH."

1. Sorry, but I am definitely not the only one who has received excellent service in my area. ALL have been more than satisfied thus far. It is unfortunate that some in other places haven't gotten the service we have received here.

2. How do you KNOW that Fairpoint could not achieve their business plan and KNOWINGLY lied to their customers? That's a strong accusation to make. I do hope you have indisputable proof that Fairpoint deliberately entered into this venture with the intention of failing.