Premium,MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·ProLog
reply to DaveDude

Re: Quad-Tuner DVR

Tivo, react? Ha. Maybe they will react with a lawsuit, seems that's all they are good for.

Tivo Premier - half finished. One CPU core is disabled. It's slow.
Tivo on Motorola STB - failed. Never got out of New England. Waste of their time.
Tivo on DirecTV - Tivo's CEO states that it will basically be the old DirecTivo with MPEG4 / SWM LNB compatibility. 10 year old interface still intact despite numerous delays. Wow, what a waste of everyones time yet again.

Tivo IMO is going the way of the dinosaur, unless they drastically change their thinking.

The Virgin media Tivo in the UK looks pretty nice, however that is the UK. Doesn't do us any good over on this side of the world.

DaveDude
No Fear

join:1999-09-01
New Jersey
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by cypherstream:

Tivo, react? Ha. Maybe they will react with a lawsuit, seems that's all they are good for.

Tivo Premier - half finished. One CPU core is disabled. It's slow.
Tivo on Motorola STB - failed. Never got out of New England. Waste of their time.
Tivo on DirecTV - Tivo's CEO states that it will basically be the old DirecTivo with MPEG4 / SWM LNB compatibility. 10 year old interface still intact despite numerous delays. Wow, what a waste of everyones time yet again.

Tivo IMO is going the way of the dinosaur, unless they drastically change their thinking.

The Virgin media Tivo in the UK looks pretty nice, however that is the UK. Doesn't do us any good over on this side of the world.

I agree with everything you said , i think moxi will pick up where tivo left off . I dont give tivo more then 4 more years. The premiere is a disaster.
--
They Live... We Sleep...

“Spreading the wealth around” never results in a better outcome for people. It always results in destruction.

GTFan

join:2004-12-03
I think the Moxi will be discontinued within a year. Arris bought Digeo for the tech, not the product, IMO.

The Premiere works fine if you don't use the half-baked HD UI, btw, and it's very fast doing transfers between Premieres or a PC.

But Tivo is definitely asleep at the wheel, and I can't figure out why. It's not like they don't have the money and are going to get a lot more soon from the Dish lawsuit.

camper
Premium
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to CableTool
said by CableTool:

...I cant imaging storing 20 hrs of HD programming let alone 60.

Everyone is different. That is one of the reasons why disk drives are sold in a panoply of sizes.

yhp

join:2006-12-27
Philadelphia, PA
reply to Marcus Carr

The back of the Spectrum offers component, composite, HDMI, S-video and digital audio out ports,

I don't see any S-Video output on the rear-panel pic. Just me?

yhp

Philadelphia, PA
reply to CableTool

If I have to shift 60 hours of programming at any given time I might need to re-evaluate my entire life.

Maybe, maybe not. But you'd definitely have to re-evaluate Comcast as your TV provider.

ComcastTech

join:2008-05-31
reply to yhp
god forbid

yhp

Philadelphia, PA
Why "god forbid"?

I use S-Video out on the DCX3400 to record to my off-the-shelf standard-def DVD recorder. (I recognize the shortcomings, but it has more pros than cons for me, and Comcast does not offer disc-burning DVRs.).

I need an alternate (non-HDMI) output to my TV to use closed-captioning in something besides the completely and insanely unacceptable fashion in which Comcast has implemented it on their Motorola boxes. A working S-Vid out adds another option for me.

For users whose screens lack HDMI-in or component-in (and given the fact that they are restricted by Comcast from using their tuners) S-Video offers a noticeable quality improvement over composite.

Not really sure what the problem is. If it's beneath you, don't use it.

THZNDUP
Deorum Offensa Diis Curae
Premium
join:2003-09-18
Lard
kudos:2
reply to yhp
said by yhp:

The back of the Spectrum offers component, composite, HDMI, S-video and digital audio out ports,

I don't see any S-Video output on the rear-panel pic. Just me?

Not unless we're both not seeing the same thing........ or something like that.

Left to right: cable in, 1394, component video, audio out/digital audio, HDMI out/in, cablecard/USB, eSATA, ethernet, power. Nope, didn't see composite or S-Video anywhere. Must'a been those pesky red/white RCA connectors looking for a yellow one.........

I wonder how many will be active, working, and supported.
--
one should not increase, beyond what is necessary, the number of entities required to explain anything

mikedz4

join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV
reply to Marcus Carr
when is this thing going to be released? will it be released this year, hopefully before summer.

Joe12345678

join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL
it's in beta testing now but the TIVO software on the cable box also was and never left the testing area.

mikedz4

Weirton, WV
if this doesn't make it what is the next model box out moto/cisco?
I am wanting to upgrade my dcx box but will wait if a better model is coming out. I have the 3425.

ComcastTech

join:2008-05-31
reply to Marcus Carr
we always test new dvrs in our system the beginning of summertime.

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
Reading, PA
Reviews:
·ProLog
reply to mikedz4
The 3200/3400 series is still a good box. It's just limited by the software on it. It will be able to run a 16:9 HD video accelerated guide when it is available.

Testing new stuff in the Summer just before the fall season primetime rush... good idea.

fiberguy
My views are my own.
Premium
join:2005-05-20
reply to yhp
said by yhp:

If I have to shift 60 hours of programming at any given time I might need to re-evaluate my entire life.

Maybe, maybe not. But you'd definitely have to re-evaluate Comcast as your TV provider.

Why? .. for many people Comcast works just fine.. perhaps you think that people would re-evaluate Comcast as a TV provider because of some beef you have with them?

... not everyone hates or dislikes Comcast, but I know that this doesn't sit well with the anger some people have.

fiberguy
My views are my own.
Premium
reply to mikedz4
said by mikedz4:

if this doesn't make it what is the next model box out moto/cisco?
I am wanting to upgrade my dcx box but will wait if a better model is coming out. I have the 3425.

I thought you were leaving for satellite.. that's what you say all the time.

motorola870

join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to cypherstream
there is another box named RNG200N is named by PACE as "Dallas" and is already deployed in Canada.

»www.pace.com/global/products-cap ··· rng200n/

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
reply to CableTool
said by CableTool:

I think people view Leased DVRs as archiving boxes... they arent really for Archiving all of your favorite programming, they are for recording it to view it later.

Yes. I don't get those who think a DVR is to archive and keep for years an entire season of some reality show. DVRs are time-shifting machines. And if you haven't watched what you recorded within a week or so, you probably never will watch it.

Though the ability to turn on an attached external hard drive should be technically doable for those fanatics that think everything that is recorded should be saved for all time. But we all know Hollywood would pressure the cable companies from doing anything of the sort.

yhp

Philadelphia, PA
reply to fiberguy
said by fiberguy:

said by yhp:

Why? .. for many people Comcast works just fine.. perhaps you think that people would re-evaluate Comcast as a TV provider because of some beef you have with them?

The context was perfectly clear: if a user wants something more than what Comcast offers, they may want to re-evaluate their "entire lives" (that's up to them); but if a user wants something more than what Comcast offers, then, by definition, they're going to have to consider an alternate provider.

It's practically a tautology: It's up to armchair shrinks to decide if a particular customer demand is "insane". It's up to the particular customer to decide if that demand is ever going to be met by Comcast.

yhp

Philadelphia, PA

1 edit
reply to FFH5
said by FFH5:

And if you haven't watched what you recorded within a week or so, you probably never will watch it.

Kind of depends on how many hours a day you want to spend on the couch "catching up". Different strokes for different folks. Some weeks are busier than others. "320 GB" is an arbitrary limit set by Comcast and the luck of one's hardware draw. "one week" is an arbitrary limit set by... well, by you, come to think of it.

Though the ability to turn on an attached external hard drive should be technically doable []

It is doable - just not if you have the misfortune of being a Comcast Motorola customer.

But I'll definitely tell my SO that people who save TV shows for longer than 1 week are "fanatics", so going forward, we definitely need to cook up every recipe recorded on the DVR within one week. I hope the stuff freezes well, because I apparently need to find time in the next 24 hours to finish watching the rest of TCMHD's 5-film Blake Edwards tribute from 12/27, or else this guy on the Internet will call me names. I can't be chopping vegetables and stuff.

fiberguy
My views are my own.
Premium
reply to yhp
lol - okay, I see your point. fair enough.

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
Reading, PA
Reviews:
·ProLog
reply to yhp
The Pace DVR's do have working eSATA ports. I have not seen one on Comcast though. Service Electric cable issues Motorola and Pace DVRs. Only on the Pace ones, external hard drives work. They all run I-Guide A25.

The RNG210n is made by Pace. I'm pretty sure the eSATA would work then. Motorola has been dragging their feet with a driver. One is now available and so far Verizon picked it up and packaged it in with their new IMG 1.9 guide, to be released over in the next couple of months.

I'm sure it's only a matter of time before other MSO's pick up this option. The hurdle is support. Many will enable it and not say anything. It will be a secret underground feature, like 30-sec skip. Some will actually create marketing and some documentation with a list of approved drives. Some may even charge a fee to activate it (like Dish Network). It's up to each individual company.

mikedz4

Weirton, WV
well if comcast allowed customers to attach external hard drives to their boxes that would save them money. People who swap out everytime a new box with a larger hard drive comes out are more likely not to swap out as much if they could do this.

aguiar0016

join:2006-01-23
New Bedford, MA
reply to Joe12345678
TIVO testing did make it to customers here in New England. But your not missing out on anything. A couple of people i know have/had it and it's not worth the extra couple of bucks, it's unstable.

camper
Premium
Bethel, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to fiberguy
said by fiberguy:

... not everyone hates or dislikes Comcast,

While there may be a few people who actually like Comcast, Comcast's extreme customer dissatisfaction has been documented in a few places. For example, here:

»consumerist.com/2010/10/worst-co ··· ast.html

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
Reading, PA
Yeah but people who have bad experiences tend to write everyone and pour all their emotion into it.

If they are dissatisfied or angry, people vent on the internet. If people are generally happy, they usually are just watching their TV.

camper
Premium
Bethel, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by cypherstream:

Yeah but people who have bad experiences tend to write everyone and pour all their emotion into it.

Absolutely. I agree with that.

But Comcast seems to have earned a special (and not a good) place in the minds of many, many of its customers.

In my experience, I've never had a bad experience (indeed, I'd rate them as very good or better) when a Comcast tech visits my house to work on something. They all have been professional, knowledgeable, and focused on resolving the issue at hand.

It is the interactions with Comcast customer service, and anything to do with pricing, that are so incredibly frustrating for me.