Poorly Representing MYSELF.
Premium Member
join:2004-11-12

1 recommendation

CableTool to Joe12345678

Premium Member

to Joe12345678

Re: Quad-Tuner DVR

Comparing space or overall functionality of the box?

I think people view Leased DVRs as archiving boxes... they arent really for Archiving all of your favorite programming, they are for recording it to view it later.
I cant imaging storing 20 hrs of HD programming let alone 60.
If I have to shift 60 hours of programming at any given time I might need to re-evaluate my entire life.

castsucks
@sbcglobal.net

castsucks

Anon

said by CableTool:

I think people view Leased DVRs as archiving boxes... they arent really for Archiving all of your favorite programming, they are for recording it to view it later.
If I have to shift 60 hours of programming at any given time I might need to re-evaluate my entire life.

ok say 10-20 hours for one person but what if you have 5-6 people in the same house?

But seeing how cheap HDD are getting putting in a 160G or maybe even A 320g seems cheep and small for 2011 NOW days 750 or 1TB is about right maybe 500g if you want to be cheap. also bulk prices make the HDD costs even less.

CableTool
Poorly Representing MYSELF.
Premium Member
join:2004-11-12

1 recommendation

CableTool

Premium Member

I can see that. I have a family of four but admittedly there is a 6 year old and a 2 year old in the mix.

I think if I had two or three teens and TV interests were that diverse It wouldnt be realistic to store all of that on ONE box anyway. Because really.. when the hell would anyone watch them all?

A god case for one or two anyroom DVRs however. One for the adults, one for the kids. That would be a truly wired house.

I think however this offering along with a few other endeavors are really more or less geared towards the introduction of streaming web content then storing shifted content.

In any event, I think the storage is inline with what the general target would find adequate.
I know if I had a 1TB HDD I would have 300 Oprahs on it instead of the 57 she currently has....
jwhite4
join:2002-03-21
Philadelphia, PA

1 recommendation

jwhite4 to CableTool

to CableTool
said by CableTool:

...I cant imaging storing 20 hrs of HD programming let alone 60...

I think you're in the minority. Remember that when DVR's first came out, they could always store 60-80 hours of "the highest quality programming available". [Not our fault that was only SD]. That's what we want now. We should have to choose between 4 hours of SD programming, or 1 hr of HD programming.

I'm not forcing Comcast to make every HD DVR have a 500GB-1TB drive in it. There probably are people like you that don't need that much recording space, and don't want to spend extra money on larger drives. But like FIOS (is starting to do), at least make the eSATA port functioning, so that if I choose to increase the storage capacity of my DVR, I can.

Jeff
Joe12345678
join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL

Joe12345678

Directv may have a 1TB or more in there 4-6 tuner MRV box that roomed not only that they pushed out a firmware update for all of the HR2X boxes that adds support for 4K sectors so you can hook real big disks to there WORKING E-sata ports.

lovswr
join:2001-09-15
Riverview, FL

lovswr to CableTool

to CableTool
Archiving! Not having to delete stuff in any given 7 day period is a good thing. The first time I got this crappy DVR & it asked me If I wanted to delete the program immediately after I finished watching it, I knew something was wrong. Comcast/Motorola should be ashamed of themselves.

So the new box may only have a 160G drive as well. Hi ho, Hi ho, its off to Ceton I go.

DaveDude
No Fear
join:1999-09-01
New Jersey

DaveDude to CableTool

to CableTool
said by CableTool:

I have about 40 hrs stored on my tivo, i record entire series, and watch them when i can. I wonder if tivo is going to react to this at all ?

cypherstream
MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream

MVM

Tivo, react? Ha. Maybe they will react with a lawsuit, seems that's all they are good for.

Tivo Premier - half finished. One CPU core is disabled. It's slow.
Tivo on Motorola STB - failed. Never got out of New England. Waste of their time.
Tivo on DirecTV - Tivo's CEO states that it will basically be the old DirecTivo with MPEG4 / SWM LNB compatibility. 10 year old interface still intact despite numerous delays. Wow, what a waste of everyones time yet again.

Tivo IMO is going the way of the dinosaur, unless they drastically change their thinking.

The Virgin media Tivo in the UK looks pretty nice, however that is the UK. Doesn't do us any good over on this side of the world.

DaveDude
No Fear
join:1999-09-01
New Jersey

DaveDude

said by cypherstream:

Tivo, react? Ha. Maybe they will react with a lawsuit, seems that's all they are good for.

Tivo Premier - half finished. One CPU core is disabled. It's slow.
Tivo on Motorola STB - failed. Never got out of New England. Waste of their time.
Tivo on DirecTV - Tivo's CEO states that it will basically be the old DirecTivo with MPEG4 / SWM LNB compatibility. 10 year old interface still intact despite numerous delays. Wow, what a waste of everyones time yet again.

Tivo IMO is going the way of the dinosaur, unless they drastically change their thinking.

The Virgin media Tivo in the UK looks pretty nice, however that is the UK. Doesn't do us any good over on this side of the world.

I agree with everything you said , i think moxi will pick up where tivo left off . I dont give tivo more then 4 more years. The premiere is a disaster.
GTFan
join:2004-12-03
Austell, GA

GTFan

I think the Moxi will be discontinued within a year. Arris bought Digeo for the tech, not the product, IMO.

The Premiere works fine if you don't use the half-baked HD UI, btw, and it's very fast doing transfers between Premieres or a PC.

But Tivo is definitely asleep at the wheel, and I can't figure out why. It's not like they don't have the money and are going to get a lot more soon from the Dish lawsuit.

camper
just visiting this planet
Premium Member
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT

camper to CableTool

Premium Member

to CableTool
said by CableTool:

...I cant imaging storing 20 hrs of HD programming let alone 60.

Everyone is different. That is one of the reasons why disk drives are sold in a panoply of sizes.
yhp
join:2006-12-27
Philadelphia, PA

yhp to CableTool

to CableTool

Maybe, maybe not. But you'd definitely have to re-evaluate Comcast as your TV provider.
fiberguy2
My views are my own.
Premium Member
join:2005-05-20

fiberguy2

Premium Member

said by yhp:

Maybe, maybe not. But you'd definitely have to re-evaluate Comcast as your TV provider.

Why? .. for many people Comcast works just fine.. perhaps you think that people would re-evaluate Comcast as a TV provider because of some beef you have with them?

... not everyone hates or dislikes Comcast, but I know that this doesn't sit well with the anger some people have.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to CableTool

Premium Member

to CableTool
said by CableTool:

Yes. I don't get those who think a DVR is to archive and keep for years an entire season of some reality show. DVRs are time-shifting machines. And if you haven't watched what you recorded within a week or so, you probably never will watch it.

Though the ability to turn on an attached external hard drive should be technically doable for those fanatics that think everything that is recorded should be saved for all time. But we all know Hollywood would pressure the cable companies from doing anything of the sort.
yhp
join:2006-12-27
Philadelphia, PA

yhp to fiberguy2

to fiberguy2
said by fiberguy2:

said by yhp:

Why? .. for many people Comcast works just fine.. perhaps you think that people would re-evaluate Comcast as a TV provider because of some beef you have with them?

The context was perfectly clear: if a user wants something more than what Comcast offers, they may want to re-evaluate their "entire lives" (that's up to them); but if a user wants something more than what Comcast offers, then, by definition, they're going to have to consider an alternate provider.

It's practically a tautology: It's up to armchair shrinks to decide if a particular customer demand is "insane". It's up to the particular customer to decide if that demand is ever going to be met by Comcast.
yhp

1 edit

yhp to FFH5

to FFH5
said by FFH5:

And if you haven't watched what you recorded within a week or so, you probably never will watch it.

Kind of depends on how many hours a day you want to spend on the couch "catching up". Different strokes for different folks. Some weeks are busier than others. "320 GB" is an arbitrary limit set by Comcast and the luck of one's hardware draw. "one week" is an arbitrary limit set by... well, by you, come to think of it.

Though the ability to turn on an attached external hard drive should be technically doable []

It is doable - just not if you have the misfortune of being a Comcast Motorola customer.

But I'll definitely tell my SO that people who save TV shows for longer than 1 week are "fanatics", so going forward, we definitely need to cook up every recipe recorded on the DVR within one week. I hope the stuff freezes well, because I apparently need to find time in the next 24 hours to finish watching the rest of TCMHD's 5-film Blake Edwards tribute from 12/27, or else this guy on the Internet will call me names. I can't be chopping vegetables and stuff.
fiberguy2
My views are my own.
Premium Member
join:2005-05-20

fiberguy2 to yhp

Premium Member

to yhp
lol - okay, I see your point. fair enough.

cypherstream
MVM
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream to yhp

MVM

to yhp
The Pace DVR's do have working eSATA ports. I have not seen one on Comcast though. Service Electric cable issues Motorola and Pace DVRs. Only on the Pace ones, external hard drives work. They all run I-Guide A25.

The RNG210n is made by Pace. I'm pretty sure the eSATA would work then. Motorola has been dragging their feet with a driver. One is now available and so far Verizon picked it up and packaged it in with their new IMG 1.9 guide, to be released over in the next couple of months.

I'm sure it's only a matter of time before other MSO's pick up this option. The hurdle is support. Many will enable it and not say anything. It will be a secret underground feature, like 30-sec skip. Some will actually create marketing and some documentation with a list of approved drives. Some may even charge a fee to activate it (like Dish Network). It's up to each individual company.

mikedz4
join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

mikedz4

well if comcast allowed customers to attach external hard drives to their boxes that would save them money. People who swap out everytime a new box with a larger hard drive comes out are more likely not to swap out as much if they could do this.

camper
Premium Member
Bethel, CT

camper to fiberguy2

Premium Member

to fiberguy2
said by fiberguy2:

... not everyone hates or dislikes Comcast,

While there may be a few people who actually like Comcast, Comcast's extreme customer dissatisfaction has been documented in a few places. For example, here:

»consumerist.com/2010/10/ ··· ast.html

cypherstream
MVM
Reading, PA

cypherstream

MVM

Yeah but people who have bad experiences tend to write everyone and pour all their emotion into it.

If they are dissatisfied or angry, people vent on the internet. If people are generally happy, they usually are just watching their TV.

camper
Premium Member
Bethel, CT

camper

Premium Member

said by cypherstream:

Yeah but people who have bad experiences tend to write everyone and pour all their emotion into it.

Absolutely. I agree with that.

But Comcast seems to have earned a special (and not a good) place in the minds of many, many of its customers.

In my experience, I've never had a bad experience (indeed, I'd rate them as very good or better) when a Comcast tech visits my house to work on something. They all have been professional, knowledgeable, and focused on resolving the issue at hand.

It is the interactions with Comcast customer service, and anything to do with pricing, that are so incredibly frustrating for me.