DC DSL
There's a reason I'm Command.
Premium
join:2000-07-30
Washington, DC
kudos:2
reply to Rxdoxx

Re: [Snow Doom] White Christmas?

Is Bags still doing his own prognostication or just passing along what the NWS says?

Ya know, one of my major peeves with all of the commercial weather forecasting bodies (particularly WeatherUnderground, AccuWeather and The Weather Channel) is they have blatantly contradictory forecasts right on the same page. For instance, the graphic quicky shows temp range and an iconic depiction, but the narrative below can often say something sufficiently different to make the graphic useless. Why can't these folks get it together and say the same thing across the board? They're not drawing this stuff by hand so there is no excuse for them to not be in sync.
--
"Keep calm and carry on."

Rxdoxx
Premium,Ex-Mod 2002-13
join:2000-11-03
Middle River, MD
kudos:11
Truthfully, I don't know.
I have found Jbags to have been pretty darn accurate with whatever he is posting. He is also only about 10 miles away from me, so if he has tweaked things very locally, I'm in that local.

My major peeve with the network weather forecasters is that they do it for a huge broadcasting area. 50% chance of anything could include Frederick, Salisbury, BelAir, and Severn.

We are in a geographic region where depending on how something comes through, Potomac may get an inch and Landover nothing. And up here, Randallstown may get something and Essex wonder where the snow was supposed to be?

I don't believe much until I see a map, unless they say HUGE, then I know I'll at least see something.
--
Was a Cruise Fanatic, one cruise on Princess cured me. Bleah

grobinette
Southeast of disorder
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-27
Springfield, VA
The Washington Post guys are calling for 20 40 40% and if you look at the national map it looks like it is going to suck up a HUGE storm from out west.

DC DSL
Premium
Washington, DC
reply to Rxdoxx
The local DC stations have gotten a lot better over the last 20 years reporting in zones. Not neighborhood or street-level pinpoint accuracy, but much better than saying "Two inches" when Frederick got two feet and downtown got nothing at all.

The NWS needs to re-do the "official" reporting stations. It is well known that National does not get the same precip as just a couple of miles away here in midtown. Or Rockville. Or Falls Church. Or Fredneck.
--
"Keep calm and carry on."

hsindogg
Premium
join:2002-06-21
Potomac, MD
In Topper we trust.....

Just curious to people in this forum, who are your favorite weathermen/women?

Rxdoxx
Premium,Ex-Mod 2002-13
join:2000-11-03
Middle River, MD
kudos:11
If I gotta choose one from the Baltimore stations, Tasselmeyer, but I really don't watch any of them since I have a site I can very easily check without waiting for them to come on.
--
Was a Cruise Fanatic, one cruise on Princess cured me. Bleah

DC DSL
Premium
Washington, DC
reply to hsindogg
Doug Hill, Topper and Sue.

RockCake
Premium
join:2005-07-12
Woodbridge, VA
reply to hsindogg
I love Sue!

Here's a video Fox 5 did for her 25 years (!) of service
»www.myfoxdc.com/subindex/weather···25_years

seaquake
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-23
Millersville, MD
reply to hsindogg
said by hsindogg:

Just curious to people in this forum, who are your favorite weathermen/women?

My Favorite: »www.weather.com/tv/personalities···gno.html

Just wish she was till on a constant schedule around 0500 as she was when she first started at TWC.