how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

egon phillips

join:2001-09-19
m4d3z1

Bell Sympatico Getmail

Has anyone else been having with getmail.sympatico.ca?

We use all 5 email addresses, and used to leave some, but not all our email on the getmail.sympatico.ca server. However, on two occasions 50 or more emails were deleted from the account.

1. Bell sympatico notified us that they some kind of problem with a rouge script.

2. Bell sympatico doesn't seem to know what happened. Or at least they're not telling us.

Has anyone heard anything about missing/lost email?

J Biz

join:2001-05-30
I don't use this feature but could it be that there is a limit for space that they will hold kinda like hotmail etc?

Dzyann$

join:2002-01-11
Montreal, QC
reply to egon phillips
10 Mo for 1st account
5 Mo for others

egon phillips

m4d3z1
reply to J Biz
Your question is related to the second incident? Bell Sympatico HSE presented a lengthy argument about the limits of getmail.sympatico.ca. However, we don't leave binaries in getmail.sympatico.ca. Only Text messages are stored, so that's not the issue here.

mysteriorules

join:2001-03-11
reply to egon phillips
Considering getmail.sympatico.ca is down at least a couple of minutes a day nothing suprise me anymore.

Regards,

Mysterio

Arghy

@sympatico.ca
reply to egon phillips
If you read their page, Sympatico deletes all mail stored on their server after 25 days.

Essentially makes their IMAP support completely useless.

egon phillips

m4d3z1
Is this a new policy, or has this always been the case?

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
kudos:2
said by egon phillips:
Is this a new policy, or has this always been the case?
Here is the FAQ. I suspect it's always been that way.

egon phillips

m4d3z1
I think it's new, they've just changed the rules on the fly to protect themselves.

When we signed up, and during several calls to technical support (actually a help desk), I was told that we were allowed to store upto 5 MBytes of "data" on the server. These statements were reiterated in email. This "data" is a combination of email and webspace. Since, the limit was never exceeded they do not have the right to delete our email, no matter how old the email.

Furthermore, deleting all email after 25 days is not good policy: in fact it appears rather juvenile, if not simplistic. Hiding these important details in an FAQ, which most people will not read, is neither just nor right.

If a customer has exceeded their storage space, I would expect Bell Canada Enterprises to use a policy something like the following:
1. First delete files contained in the trash, next
2. delete have the junk mail (they are partially responsible for us receiving), next
3. Next they should delete binary attachments, next
4. Delete old messages in your inbox.

After each deletion the script/program should check to see if your account is still exceeding the maximum - 500K. I would also expect some kind of grace period, say seven days with an emailed warning of somekind. A software feature like this can be developed (designed, coded, and QA'd) within a month. What is wrong with these people?

Also, did you notice that the "To:", "CC:", and "BCC" buttons on the "compose page" have been disabled. Do they have the right to take away part of the service without notification, or even to change the service without notification.

Obviously they are not being remotely honest with us. What are the folders there for if we're not supposed to keep our mail for more than 25 days?

Oh yeah, while we're at it what is with the 8 character extremely breakable passwords. Shouldn't Bell Sympatico be using a pass phrase?

I'm not looking for a fight with "Bell Canada Enterprises" or their subsidiaries. Considering the hallowed ground they are seen to walk on in Canada, the least they can do is to meet the spirit of the service agreements. They should behave in like manor to which they are perceived: ok at least similar. Come on, Canadian Ma Bell, we didn't put you up their so you could implement policy like teenagers (truck us, oh did I say that?). Now did we?

MacGyver
Don't Waste Your Energy
Premium,ExMod 2003-05
join:2001-10-14
Canada
Lesson learned: don't leave your email on the server, if it is important to you, then download it onto your computer and archive it yourself.

Nuff said.
--
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Otherwise it WILL need fixing!

egon phillips

m4d3z1
Sorry, I don't agree. I am curious what others think, and would like to hear opinions. Is Bell's 25 day policy fair, just, legal? Is there a way for Bell Sympatico to delete messages without significantly increasing their cost, and at the same time providing us with greater flexibility.

Why? Bell Sympatico recently sent me a letter regarding the email, and are awaiting a written response. While I have the ear, or at least one person inside this behemoth, I would like to suggest changes that might help us.

Why are you attempting to terminate the discussion contained in this thread. Private newsgroups are a moderated democracy, not an aristocracy, monarchy, dictatorship, or oligarchy; and you are not one of the moderators. We're all entitled to your opinions, as long as we don't break any rules.

MacGyver
Don't Waste Your Energy
Premium,ExMod 2003-05
join:2001-10-14
Canada
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·TekSavvy DSL

Life's too short

Fair? Probably not. Just? Probably not. Legal? Absolutely yes. It's written into that legally binding agreement which you agreed to unconditionally when you signed up for the service. I'm not trying to be the party pooper, but I agree that some of these agreements are loaded one way streets in favour of the business and not the consumer. We as consumers must be aware of these types of contracts and make sure we read every line and understand ANY contract before signing it. I've been burned by not reading a contract before, too. I just learn from that experience and go on with life. My life's too short to fight Bell Canada.

Caveat Emptor
--
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Otherwise it WILL need fixing!

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
reply to egon phillips

Re: Bell Sympatico Getmail

said by egon phillips:
Private newsgroups are a moderated democracy, not an aristocracy, monarchy, dictatorship, or oligarchy; and you are not one of the moderators. We're all entitled to your opinions, as long as we don't break any rules.
Yes and no. DSLReports is owned by a commercial company, who hold responsibility for the forums. We all participate at the pleasure of the owner, who have given the responsibility for moderating to a bunch of experienced volunteer, including myself. It could be seen as a "benevolent dictatorship" as opposed to a "moderated democracy"....