« Non-discrimination ruleBS »
This is a sub-selection from Defund It
matrix3D
join:2006-09-27
Middletown, CT

matrix3D to pnh102

to pnh102

Re: Defund It

You are completely mixing apples and oranges. They instituted the cap long before net neutrality was even an argument to deal with bandwidth hogs. However, if we were to spin it the way you want to, you're still contradicting your own argument because you say:
quote:
...who complained that Comcast should not be allowed to manage traffic on its privately owned network in a way it sees fit.
The FCC "rules," in fact, allow for "reasonable" network management under which the caps would fit. So I don't see the problem there. Then, in the very next sentence, you say:
quote:
There was no evidence whatsoever that Comcast was blocking anything outright even if it was significantly throttling certain protocols.
Please explain to me how treating protocols differently does not amount to traffic discrimination? Also, if Comcast were to suddenly decide to throttle Vonage, would you also continue to say "there's nothing to see here?"

pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium Member
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD

pnh102

Premium Member

said by matrix3D:

You are completely mixing apples and oranges. They instituted the cap long before net neutrality was even an argument to deal with bandwidth hogs.

Incorrect. The cap was instituted when people were complaining about certain protocols being throttled. Comcast's response was the hard cap because said cap is "neutral" as the net neutrality crowd wished.
said by matrix3D:

The FCC "rules," in fact, allow for "reasonable" network management under which the caps would fit.

Which law grants to the FCC the power to tell an ISP to do this. If there is no law, and the FCC is just making things up, then the FCC deserves to be punished for it.
said by matrix3D:

Please explain to me how treating protocols differently does not amount to traffic discrimination?

Of course it is traffic discrimination, but since when did packets on a network get civil rights? Are you seriously arguing that packets that are used for VOIP, gaming or web services are not more time sensitive than those used for things like file transfers and BitTorrent? If Comcast doesn't feel the need to upgrade its network to allow all traffic to flow unimpeded, then what business does the government have to force it to do so?
said by matrix3D:

Also, if Comcast were to suddenly decide to throttle Vonage, would you also continue to say "there's nothing to see here?"

Ironically enough the FCC has used existing authority granted to it by the Telecommunications Act of 1934 to punish an ISP for blocking access to (not throttling) Vonage.

»FCC Identifies, Fines VoIP Blocker

funchords
Hello
MVM
join:2001-03-11
Yarmouth Port, MA

funchords

MVM

said by pnh102:

said by matrix3D:

You are completely mixing apples and oranges. They instituted the cap long before net neutrality was even an argument to deal with bandwidth hogs.

Incorrect. The cap was instituted when people were complaining about certain protocols being throttled. Comcast's response was the hard cap because said cap is "neutral" as the net neutrality crowd wished.

Absolutely incorrect. You're making this up.

This had to do with a Florida Attorney General's investigation about disclosure and had nothing to do with NN.

pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium Member
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD

pnh102

Premium Member

said by funchords:

Absolutely incorrect. You're making this up.

In order for me to make this up, I'd have to be a very good time traveler.

Go read the link and try again.

funchords
Hello
MVM
join:2001-03-11
Yarmouth Port, MA

funchords

MVM

I don't see a link that supports your position, but it doesn't matter since I have clear memory of the matter.

Since you do not, here is my link: »Comcast Pays Florida $150K For Misleading Consumers [119] comments
« Non-discrimination ruleBS »
This is a sub-selection from Defund It