spc
Search similar:

uniqs
khonjo
join:2002-02-16
Palo Alto/CA

khonjo

Usage cap?

I am not yet Comcast subscriber. I just called Comcast and asled if there is any usage cap and the answere was NO. I noticed posts somewhere in this forum which indicated otherwise. Could anyone clarify ?

jay608
Going Nucking Futs
join:2007-01-22
Homewood, IL

jay608

250GB Cap, but not really enforced unless you as massively and consistently over.
CopperCop
join:2010-12-15
Ypsilanti, MI

CopperCop to khonjo

to khonjo
Yup, 250 GB is correct. There will even be a usage meter in your account page, if you sign up across. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Unless you download a lot of torrents, have a lot of viruses, or just running something in general that would be that cap up you're not going to anywhere close to that.
khonjo
Palo Alto/CA

khonjo

Thanks everyone for your responses.
I looked for that info at their website but could not find it. Is it spelled out somewhere in its contract term?

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ to khonjo

Premium Member

to khonjo
»customer.comcast.com/Pag ··· e3b295e6

It's also in the AUP

»customer.comcast.com/Pag ··· aup-lite

"We've listened to feedback from our customers who asked that we provide a specific threshold for data usage and this would help them understand the amount of usage that would qualify as excessive. On October 1, 2008, we amended our Acceptable Use Policy (AUP) available at »www.comcast.net/terms/use/ to establish a specific monthly data usage threshold of 250 GB/month per account for all residential customers."

nerdburg
Premium Member
join:2009-08-20
Schuylkill Haven, PA

nerdburg to khonjo

Premium Member

to khonjo
There's a cap?! First I heard about it.

Sunny
Runs from Clowns

join:2001-08-19

Sunny to khonjo

to khonjo
nerburg is joking. If you check the forum links in this forum, you'll find this: »The Bandwidth Limits/Congestion Management Topic
khonjo
Palo Alto/CA

khonjo

Thanks everyone for your helps.
keason
Premium Member
join:2002-05-02
Ann Arbor, MI
·Comcast Business
·T-Mobile

keason

Premium Member

250Gb is fairly easy to hit even without torrents or viruses

If you have teenagers/college students, or watch a lot of streaming video (Hulu, netflix, etc), or work from home or all of the above, it's fairly easy to exceed the cap.

To put it in perspective, you could stream about 100 hrs of HD content (at 2.5 Gb/hr) per month, or just over 3 hrs per day. If you have multiple users, each accessing different content you can see that the cap is easy to exceed. Add the inevitable software updates, web streaming, and transmitting those 18 megapixel photos and other media, plus your Carbonite or Mozy backup and you'll blow by the cap very quickly.

Some of Comcast's competitors don't have caps - ATT UVerse, Verizon Fios, and Clear are some examples. Comcast business is 30-50% more expensive but doesn't have caps or port blocking and allows hosting and static IP's for VPN, etc. That might be a reasonable alternative if you are concerned about caps.

Hopefully Comcast will bump up the cap since the 250Gb figure is from 2008, and not really reflective of current usage trends.
khonjo
Palo Alto/CA

khonjo

Is the cap 250GB or 250Gb?

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to khonjo

Premium Member

to khonjo