spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Grumpyz

@charter.com

My washer smells like rotten eggs

I have a front loading washer and I try to keep the door open to let it dry out and prevent mildew but the past day or two, it has been starting to smell like rotten eggs. Any idea what could be causing this?

Thanks.

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium
join:2008-01-06
kudos:5

When was the last time you cleaned it?

pandora
Premium
join:2001-06-01
Outland
kudos:2
reply to Grumpyz

Try bleach, and hope it isn't a sewage or septic problem.

Jtmo
Premium
join:2001-05-20
Novato, CA
reply to Grumpyz

»www.tide.com/en-US/product/tide-···chine%2B

Most stores carry similar machine cleaners for these HE machines. The rubber seal is where most bacteria live.
I am going to keep my old washer as long as I can.

Jon
Premium
join:2001-01-20
Lisle, IL
reply to Grumpyz

Clean the filter too.

ah ew

@videotron.ca
reply to Grumpyz

Front loaders do get a musky smell when their doors are always left closed after use, unlike a top loader.

I have read that not using *H.E.* detergent can also cause this since these type washers aren't meant for non-H.E. detergent. Something about the suds and scum accumulating, where-as H.E. is a low sud product.

But can't say I ever encountered a strong sulfur smell though (I use only H.E.).

Do what the person above said. Run it with only bleach in it and use Hot water (or heat setting). Leave the door open after it's done and wipe down the rubber gasket.

Some of these washers have a drain trap built in them. Mine doesn't that I can see, unless it's underneath the unit. If you have one, empty it to the drain (lots of water/crap may run out).

Bobcat79
Premium
join:2001-02-04
reply to Grumpyz

Are you sure it's just the washer and not your hot water in general?

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium,MVM
join:2005-01-22
Galaxy M31

2 recommendations

reply to Grumpyz

This should be a lesson to everyone.
If you have any eggs in your pockets, always remove them before washing your clothes.
--
I had a life once.....now I have a Computer and a Modem.

AlphaOne
I see
Premium
join:2004-02-21
Reviews:
·AT&T Yahoo
reply to Grumpyz

I only use HE detergents, and wipe the door and rubber seals after use most of the time. And still get some sort of smell once in a while.
Running the tub clean cycle once in a while with bleach will do the trick, depending how often you use the washer. You'll know by experience.
Leaving the doors open to dry helps too. Just make sure it's safe to do so.

Grumpy
Premium
join:2001-07-28
NW CT
Reviews:
·Comcast
·AT&T Yahoo
·Callcentric
reply to Grumpyz

Rotten egg smell can be hydrogen sulfide or iron problems with your water, but since you only mentioned the washer and not the tap water...

As others have mentioned, there are products in the laundry soap aisle made to clean washers. The ones I've used suggest using hot water, a full load cycle, and an extra rinse cycle if possible. With two babies in the house, I'm not a stranger to stinky washer washing, if you will. I've read that the side loaders often do stink despite the user's best efforts and good quality water, and it's a must to keep the door open whenever possible.

ff1324
Everybody Goes Home
Premium
join:2002-08-24
On Four Day
reply to Grumpyz

If it's like our Whirlpool, there's a screen / trap behind the panel under the door. There's three 1/4" screws holding it on across the bottom edge. Take that panel off and you'll see a round knob about 2" across on the right half of the washer's innards. Put a cookie sheet under the lip of the knob and loosen it, then remove the assembly. Relax, it slides right out. You'll find all kinds of nifty stuff in there...like kids socks, hair clips, rubberbands, etc...

Empty out all the foul smelling crapola, squeeze the rubber corrugated drain tube to the the water out, use clorox wipes to clean everything you can, wash the screen, and replace everything. Then run the cleaning cycle as the instructions state.
--
My rants get raves.

herdfan
Premium
join:2003-01-25
Hurricane, WV
reply to Grumpyz

We have used both the Tide product and Afresh. But what seems to work best is Cascade dishwasher detergent. Once a week we run a half cup of the powder through the washer on the hottest cycle and it has eliminated our stink issues.

Not sure how these machines are more efficient since we have to run an empty load once a week.

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL
kudos:101
reply to Grumpyz

I use Affresh on my HE (GE model) washer.

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
reply to Jtmo

What's HE?

ah ew

@videotron.ca
reply to herdfan

once a week?

I only notice the smell once since i bought it last year.

I used an Afresh that came as a sample in the mail maybe 3 months ago. That's about it.

Something is wrong if you have to do that once a week. No?

s bassaw

join:2006-06-11
New Rochelle, NY
reply to Grumpyz

OP, I've always used Affresh in our front loader washing machines. Use a tablet once a month and leave the door open whenever you're done doing laundry and you should be fine..

»www.affresh.com/?WT.mc_id=Affres···me#/home

joepa

join:2000-08-02
Allen, TX
reply to Mele20

HE is High Efficiency in this case. That's what all the new front loading and even most of the top loading washers are now called because they use so little water compared to the older style machines.
--
joepa Speakeasy DSL 1500/384k

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Thank you for explaining that. I have a top loader all in one (dryer attached) gas machine that is only one year old but it uses water just like my older machines did. Thank goodness! I'd hate to live somewhere with poor water pressure, new toilets that you have flush five times because they conserve water, and now washing machines that do this? UGH.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Mr Matt

join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·Embarq Now Centu..
·Comcast
·CenturyLink
reply to Grumpyz

I have owned a Whirlpool front loader for Five Years and have never had an odor problem. Each week I do underwear in a soak cycle with chlorine bleach first and then after the soak cycle I add the rest of the light clothing and do a normal wash.

I was advised by someone in the White Goods Business in order to maximize the life of any washing machine to always do bleach washes first and then other washes without bleach last. Whenever the washer drains the tub all water is not removed and if you do a bleach wash last the remaining chlorine bleach will corrode or rust the drum.

I believe that because I do a bleach wash each week and that I always leave the door open after the wash I have never had an odor problem.

Follow the cleaning procedure in the instruction manual, that should solve your problem.

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4
reply to joepa

said by joepa:

HE is High Efficiency in this case. That's what all the new front loading and even most of the top loading washers are now called because they use so little water compared to the older style machines.

Damn!! I thought it meant High Explosive. That would explain why my clothes come out with holes in them after loading the machine with 1/2 cup of C4.

BDiogenes
militant aesthete and consumerist

join:2010-10-31

Bobcat and Grumpy, there is a sulfurous substance in my tap water, maybe hydrogen sulfide because it outgasses when the water is run and contaminates and reacts with at least one household product. It is a serious problem. What can I do? It wasn't this way when I first moved in 3 1/2 years ago. Started around middle of last year to be this bad.

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4

said by BDiogenes:

Bobcat and Grumpy, there is a sulfurous substance in my tap water, maybe hydrogen sulfide because it outgasses when the water is run and contaminates and reacts with at least one household product. It is a serious problem. What can I do? It wasn't this way when I first moved in 3 1/2 years ago. Started around middle of last year to be this bad.

Where do you live? Are you on your own well water, or is your water supply via a municipal water system?
Is there any shale gas 'fracking' going on within 25 miles of your area?

»www.vanityfair.com/business/feat···a-201006

Bobcat79
Premium
reply to BDiogenes

Usually it's only a problem with hot water (the water heater being the source). Does your cold water smell bad?
--
Folding@Home status

Jan Janowski
Premium
join:2000-06-18
Skokie, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to Grumpyz

We had that on our GE Front Loader....

Wife says it's water accumulating under the rubber gasget in the doorway... She says she wipes it up after last use.... and the odor went away...

Also-- She says when washer is not in use, she leaves the door open.... She says: "It's a combination of both"

No odor now...
--
Looking for 1939 Indian Motocycle

BDiogenes

reply to Bobcat79

MaynardKrebs, no fracking, but this does raise another possibility.

Bobcat, the cold water doesn't smell, nor the hot that I noticed. Why would it only be the hot and the water heater? You posters have given me another idea, but this is complicated so I'll wait for Grumpy to post; I was trying to get a fast answer as I only happened to see this thread.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Millenicom

This is a common problem for those of us on the lower Chesapeake Bay. A few million or so years ago an asteroid slammed into the lower portion of the bay fracturing the earths crust severely damaging the aquifers. I'm lucky as mine is not bad but some are unbearable. Removing the anode from the hot water tank solves the problem.

quote:
Hot Water Heater Troubleshooting - Rotten Egg Smell Cause

Possible cause of the sulfur or rotten egg smell is the bacteria in the tank sediment, a breeding ground for the bacteria that is fed from hydrogen sulfide H2S gas, created from decay of anode rod.

Three components are required to generate hydrogen sulfide gas that gives water its rotten egg odor: sulfur, hydrogen, and bacteria. And right there is the solution; if any of the above elements is removed there should be no stinky water smell.

Public water supplies when properly chlorinated will kill the bacteria and the odds are you won't have this problem. But if using water well, the problem might be there.

Every hot water heater with metal tank is equipped with the anode rod, usually called sacrificial rod, used to protect the steel metal tank from corrosion and rust. Because of its nature to dissolve due to the aggressive water action, it sacrifices itself to protect the tank.

If the water heater is to remain unused due to vacation and for an extended period of time, turn the power off, not only to conserve energy but to prevent a build-up of hydrogen gas. The situation is aggravated by hard water and by leaving the tank unused for long periods.

Hydrogen sulfide gas is distinctive and its presence can significantly affect the taste and odor of the water. Developed bacteria can be accompanied by black deposits, the result of pipe and fitting corrosion. Extremely high concentrations are toxic.

The increased level of sulfur, presence of hydrogen, water with little or no dissolved oxygen and temperatures below 138 F or 59 C are creating the environment where bacteria will develop significantly.

Stinky Water and Rotten Egg Solution
»www.hot-water-heaters-reviews.co···ng.htmlg

walta

join:2001-05-22
Saint Louis, MO
reply to Grumpyz

Tide feels your pain!
And now makes a product just for you.
Tide Washing Machine Cleaner
»www.tide.com/en-US/product/tide-···ner.jspx
I have not had a problem but we only close the door and soap drawer when the unit is in use it is open 165 hours a week.
Walta

NOCMan
MacChatter
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Colorado Springs, CO
reply to Mele20

said by Mele20:

Thank you for explaining that. I have a top loader all in one (dryer attached) gas machine that is only one year old but it uses water just like my older machines did. Thank goodness! I'd hate to live somewhere with poor water pressure, new toilets that you have flush five times because they conserve water, and now washing machines that do this? UGH.

Not water pressure dude, it's the cost of water. We have front loaders that wash better than our top loaders and it uses a 1/4th the water. Many top loaders use a few gallons of water. Efficiencey toilets are fine, just get a good brand and not the cheap ones, full glazed poop chutes work wonders vs the cheaper models.

Now poor water pressure will suck for anyone.

Bobcat79
Premium

Water is the cheapest utility service I have. $0.00538 per gallon. Hardly worth worrying about.
--
Folding@Home status

BDiogenes

reply to Jack_in_VA

Jack_in_VA, I have no water smell so maybe no bacteria, only gas. I meant to say I am on city water, not well, but the silt is terrible. If you remove your anode, doesn't your tank corrode?