share rss forum feed

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

1 recommendation

As Karl says - not much here; but lots of work for lawyers

Transparency. I assume all providers already provide the required info. But it may be on page 23 of a 40 pg TOS that no one ever looks at unless they are planning a lawsuit of some sort.

No Blocking of legal content leaves a big loophole for blocking web sites that offer up copyrighted material either on purpose or even by accident. This loophole could allow ISPs to block Youtube or other sites that provide user contributed material. Now, given how powerful and rich Google is, we all know Youtube won't be blocked. But there are thousands of sites that have illegal content that don't have Google's clout that can be blocked at will - especially from mobile providers.

The No Discrimination rules is the "Full Employment Act" for all the lawyers out there. We can bet on YEARS of civil action over this one. Maybe the lawyers at the FCC put this one in to provide lots of lucrative work for their ABA brethren.

hottboiinnc
ME

join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH

Google power? Lets see them come up with content owners and the ISPs with that one. The only thing that needs to happen is Disney-ABC, Warner Bros/TW, and Comcast NBC to go after all the ISPs and enforce that loophole to block youtube. Google NO way could come close with that.

amarryat
Verizon FiOS

join:2005-05-02
Marshfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

reply to FFH

said by FFH:

No Blocking of legal content leaves a big loophole for blocking web sites that offer up copyrighted material either on purpose or even by accident.

Agreed. This allows the ISPs to be police, judge, and jury. The FCC should remove "lawful" from the terms and let the legal system handle unlawful content.

Frank
is chilling
Premium
join:2000-11-03
somewhere
reply to hottboiinnc

said by hottboiinnc:

Google power? Lets see them come up with content owners and the ISPs with that one. The only thing that needs to happen is Disney-ABC, Warner Bros/TW, and Comcast NBC to go after all the ISPs and enforce that loophole to block youtube. Google NO way could come close with that.

Considering practically all of those content companies have a presence on youtube, I would imagine it would be kind of hard to go after youtube in order to have it deemed unlawful when you're actively publishing content there.
--
At first I thought everyone on the highway was drunk but then I realized I was driving in Florida

Gbcue
Premium
join:2001-09-30
Santa Rosa, CA
kudos:8
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

said by Frank:

said by hottboiinnc:

Considering practically all of those content companies have a presence on youtube, I would imagine it would be kind of hard to go after youtube in order to have it deemed unlawful when you're actively publishing content there.

You mean, like Viacom vs. Google?

In which Viacom secretly uploaded videos to YT?

»www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6···logyNews
--
My Blog 2.0