spc
uniqs
BDiogenes
militant aesthete and consumerist
join:2010-10-31

BDiogenes to MaynardKrebs

to MaynardKrebs

Re: My washer smells like rotten eggs

Bobcat and Grumpy, there is a sulfurous substance in my tap water, maybe hydrogen sulfide because it outgasses when the water is run and contaminates and reacts with at least one household product. It is a serious problem. What can I do? It wasn't this way when I first moved in 3 1/2 years ago. Started around middle of last year to be this bad.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

said by BDiogenes:

Bobcat and Grumpy, there is a sulfurous substance in my tap water, maybe hydrogen sulfide because it outgasses when the water is run and contaminates and reacts with at least one household product. It is a serious problem. What can I do? It wasn't this way when I first moved in 3 1/2 years ago. Started around middle of last year to be this bad.

Where do you live? Are you on your own well water, or is your water supply via a municipal water system?
Is there any shale gas 'fracking' going on within 25 miles of your area?

»www.vanityfair.com/busin ··· a-201006
Bobcat79
Premium Member
join:2001-02-04

Bobcat79 to BDiogenes

Premium Member

to BDiogenes
Usually it's only a problem with hot water (the water heater being the source). Does your cold water smell bad?
BDiogenes

BDiogenes

MaynardKrebs, no fracking, but this does raise another possibility.

Bobcat, the cold water doesn't smell, nor the hot that I noticed. Why would it only be the hot and the water heater? You posters have given me another idea, but this is complicated so I'll wait for Grumpy to post; I was trying to get a fast answer as I only happened to see this thread.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

This is a common problem for those of us on the lower Chesapeake Bay. A few million or so years ago an asteroid slammed into the lower portion of the bay fracturing the earths crust severely damaging the aquifers. I'm lucky as mine is not bad but some are unbearable. Removing the anode from the hot water tank solves the problem.
quote:
Hot Water Heater Troubleshooting - Rotten Egg Smell Cause

Possible cause of the sulfur or rotten egg smell is the bacteria in the tank sediment, a breeding ground for the bacteria that is fed from hydrogen sulfide H2S gas, created from decay of anode rod.

Three components are required to generate hydrogen sulfide gas that gives water its rotten egg odor: sulfur, hydrogen, and bacteria. And right there is the solution; if any of the above elements is removed there should be no stinky water smell.

Public water supplies when properly chlorinated will kill the bacteria and the odds are you won't have this problem. But if using water well, the problem might be there.

Every hot water heater with metal tank is equipped with the anode rod, usually called sacrificial rod, used to protect the steel metal tank from corrosion and rust. Because of its nature to dissolve due to the aggressive water action, it sacrifices itself to protect the tank.

If the water heater is to remain unused due to vacation and for an extended period of time, turn the power off, not only to conserve energy but to prevent a build-up of hydrogen gas. The situation is aggravated by hard water and by leaving the tank unused for long periods.

Hydrogen sulfide gas is distinctive and its presence can significantly affect the taste and odor of the water. Developed bacteria can be accompanied by black deposits, the result of pipe and fitting corrosion. Extremely high concentrations are toxic.

The increased level of sulfur, presence of hydrogen, water with little or no dissolved oxygen and temperatures below 138 F or 59 C are creating the environment where bacteria will develop significantly.

Stinky Water and Rotten Egg Solution
»www.hot-water-heaters-re ··· ng.htmlg
BDiogenes

BDiogenes

Jack_in_VA, I have no water smell so maybe no bacteria, only gas. I meant to say I am on city water, not well, but the silt is terrible. If you remove your anode, doesn't your tank corrode?