Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

RaZor2003

join:2003-05-24
Downers Grove, IL

1 edit

[Caps] Monthly cap?

Is it still officially 250gb per month? Are some areas not affected? Logging in to Comcast I can not find a usage meter, does that mean there is no cap on my acct? We have the 50/20 plan.

Thanks

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
San Jose, CA

Re: Monthly cap?

Yes. See »Usage cap?
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

RaZor2003

Downers Grove, IL

I can not locate the usage meter on the Comcast account page. How van I find out the current monthly usage?

JohnInSJ
Premium
San Jose, CA

sometimes the meter doesn't work - if that happens you either need to use some local monitoring method, or just don't worry about it.
--

Villainoevsk

join:2010-10-21
reply to RaZor2003

Comcast caps are extremely low. I'm tempted to migrate away from their draconian internet policies.

chgo_man99

join:2010-01-01
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Mediacom

said by Villainoevsk:

Comcast caps are extremely low. I'm tempted to migrate away from their draconian internet policies.

Bell Canada Internet: Fibe 25

Performance you want

Download speed: up to 25 Mbps1

Upload speed: up to 7 Mbps

Internet usage: 75 GB of bandwidth per month
»www.bell.ca/shopping/en_CA_ON.Be···.details

Comparing to Comcast, which is very generous with its 250GB and offers better packages and faster access. You can always go for Comcast Business Class which has no hard cap limit.

fiberguy
My views are my own.
Premium
join:2005-05-20
kudos:3
reply to Villainoevsk

said by Villainoevsk:

They're the highest "caps" in the industry. Do you know of anyone with a cap that is higher? Last I checked 250GB is much better than what others have posed and trialed such as 5GB.. or see Frontier's $100 DSL overage.

Happy migrations.. enjoy your low speed DSL.

Oedipus

join:2005-05-09
kudos:1
reply to RaZor2003

Charter has a 500GB cap on their 60/5 plan, which makes a lot more sense than Comcast's 250GB cap on their 1.5/384 service and their 250GB cap on their 50/10 and, potentially, their 105/10 residential services.

BruceN
Hi

join:2006-11-17
Roswell, GA

1 edit
reply to fiberguy

said by fiberguy:

said by Villainoevsk:

They're the highest "caps" in the industry. Do you know of anyone with a cap that is higher? Last I checked 250GB is much better than what others have posed and trialed such as 5GB.. or see Frontier's $100 DSL overage.

Happy migrations.. enjoy your low speed DSL.

The cap is low, cause the user is some sort of crook if he hits the cap.

Or lets compare Comcast to Canada. Oh please. How about a comparison to say Zambia? (sorry Zambia)

Highest caps in the industry? Oh for heavens sake. I have Uverse now along with Clear for travel. Neither one has any stated cap.

250 GB was plenty for me up till Hulu Plus, and Netflix came along.

Now Comcast wanted more money from me to go business class, PLUS they are charging the streaming services extra to be on the Comcast system.

Almost like double taxation....... Thank goodness they are a benevolent Monopoly.

JohnInSJ
Premium
San Jose, CA

said by BruceN:

Almost like double taxation....... Thank goodness they are a benevolent Monopoly.

Or a for-profit company.
--

BruceN
Hi

Roswell, GA
reply to RaZor2003

Never doubted that the make a profit. But the defense of their policy needs a better argument

fiberguy
My views are my own.
Premium
reply to BruceN

You're making this way too easy.

The cap is low because the user is some sort of crook if he his the cap? Again, what makes them a "crook".. If you're going to make a point in a public forum where we're here to have a real discussion, at least come prepared and apply facts, not emotions, when you're trying to make a case for something.

Or lets compare Comcast to Canada. Oh please. How about a comparison to say Zambia? (sorry Zambia)

Where did I ONCE mention any foreign company? In fact, the one CLEAR reference was to Frontier, an American ISP, and the other not so clear references, also, were American companies namely AT&T, TWC, and the smaller regional telephone companies. Before you smout off, maybe you should google and search for reference, or be sure you know of what you're talking about.

Highest caps in the industry? Oh for heavens sake. I have Uverse now along with Clear for travel. Neither one has any stated cap.

Um, again, you need to read and not inject your emotion in to MY posts. I CLEARLY STATED "Highest CAPS in the industry".. did I mention those companies that currently don't state their caps?

Now Comcast wanted more money from me to go business class, PLUS they are charging the streaming services extra to be on the Comcast system.

Almost like double taxation....... Thank goodness they are a benevolent Monopoly. .

Nope.. comcast doesn't want more money for you nor are they making you go to Business Class. The 'go business class' is a crock of crap argument danced around on the bandwagon bitcher's list. You said it best however, your usage went up on your own doing. I'm also assuming you've received numerous letters from Comcast to cool your usage as well, right? (No matter if you did or didn't, you'll likely say you did to make your point anyway)

Comcast isn't charging extra for streaming services to be on their system.. you need to do your homework on the propaganda played to you by certain players on this site. Then again, you may not want to since it's what you want to believe anyway.

What you want to do is your choice.. what ever you want to think is also your choice - the desire to go through life with blinders on is yours to make alone.. but when you come into a public forum trying to pass off rubbish as fact, you're going to get people that are going to call you on it as I am now.

So, here's something for you to think about and try to answer:

1) Who in the industry has a higher CAP in the united states?

2) Who said or where was it stated that Comcast wants more money from you or for you to go to business class?

3) Where was it stated as a matter of absolute fact that comcast is charging the streaming services extra to be on the comcast system.

4) How is it that Comcast, not the largest ISP in the nation, is a benevolent monopoly, when the very provider you love ATT, the largest ISP, is not?

JohnInSJ
Premium
San Jose, CA
reply to BruceN

said by BruceN:

Never doubted that the make a profit. But the defense of their policy needs a better argument

No it doesn't. It is what it is. You can choose to pay more and avoid it WITH comcast, or if you have another choice, choose that, or lastly, do what 99% of comcast subs do. Ignore it, since it doesn't apply to you.

If you want to make a statement, vote with your wallet. If you want to avoid the cap, pony up the extra $10-$20/mo. Or live with it.

No argument needed. It is what it is.
--

BruceN
Hi

Roswell, GA

1 edit
reply to fiberguy

said by fiberguy:

So, here's something for you to think about and try to answer:

1) Who in the industry has a higher CAP in the united states?

2) Who said or where was it stated that Comcast wants more money from you or for you to go to business class?

3) Where was it stated as a matter of absolute fact that comcast is charging the streaming services extra to be on the comcast system.

4) How is it that Comcast, not the largest ISP in the nation, is a benevolent monopoly, when the very provider you love ATT, the largest ISP, is not?

I do not care who has the biggest written cap. I doubt other care either. I think the point is that the purchasing public will soon make caps an issue as their usage increases.

As to business class that is a Comcast work around. Just call in, tell a CSR you are getting close to the cap and this is what is suggested. I heard it myself and others have provided the same report here in this forum.

Level3 has published that Comcast is demanding money for transport. I don't have a problem with this, but lets not double dip. If you are collecting money for transport, it is silly to have a cap. Unless the cap is there for some other long term reason.

I was kidding about benevolent. No monopoly is a good one. AT&T ate one time was the largest of all, and it seems the are heading back to their roots.

fiberguy
My views are my own.
Premium

The Comcast demand for more money,... you're jumping the gun on a news story that has been greatly blown out of proportion. While it makes a great issue for headline skimmers to be outraged over, the fact remains that Comcast is not doing anything out of line, at the moment, in regards to the L3/Comcast saga.. There is much to read up about this via a google search or right here on BBR.

As for Comcast telling a customer pushing the limits to go to Business Class service.. that's simply not true. Going by what "others are saying" (and then throwing in an account claiming to hear it too) doesn't make that one true either. Residential customer service reps have no access to the business class line of services, and the same in reverse. The fact is that the majority of residential CSRs barely even know what business class is, much less offer a customer the 'option to go business class to avoid caps'...

The caps were put in place because the issue was forced.. before, almost no one really had to worry about being affected by a cap. High volume users were determined on a node by node basis, not a company - nationwide basis. However, one reason you now see that 250gb cap was because they were pretty much forced to publish a cap. One thing I LOVE gloating about is that when the small handful of people were moaning and groaning about invisible caps, I was happy to be saying "be careful what you ask for because you're going to get something you don't like! ... and people have.

There's SO many reasons behind a cap to begin with, and it's not one simple explanation.

espaeth
Digital Plumber
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-21
Minneapolis, MN
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Vitelity VOIP
reply to BruceN

said by BruceN:

I think the point is that the purchasing public will soon make caps an issue as their usage increases.

I think you overestimate what constitutes the "purchasing public."

To quote a couple things from the Cisco Visual Networking Index report that was published in October:
* The average broadband connection generates 14.9 GB of Internet traffic per month, up from 11.4 GB per month last year, an increase of 31 percent

* The top 1 percent of broadband connections is responsible for more than 20 percent of total Internet traffic. The top 10 percent of connections is responsible for over 60 percent of broadband Internet traffic, worldwide.
The second stat is the most interesting, because it shows just how much the outlier data is pulling up the average. Median traffic rates are still reported to be somewhere in the 2-3GB/mo ballpark.

You're in the top 10%, BruceN See Profile. If you'd stop being such an overachiever you wouldn't have these concerns.

jaymz668

join:2002-03-21
Bloomington, IN

How do those numbers possibly make sense when Netflix is using 20% of US broadband during prime hours? Median usage is 2-3 GB a month? That's very hard to believe.

espaeth
Digital Plumber
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-21
Minneapolis, MN
Reviews:
·Vitelity VOIP

said by jaymz668:

How do those numbers possibly make sense when Netflix is using 20% of US broadband during prime hours? Median usage is 2-3 GB a month? That's very hard to believe.

Why?

Specifically to Netflix use:

The US has 83,344,927 fixed broadband subscriptions according to OECD data from June 2010.

Netflix has 15 million subscribers, 61% of which have streamed video for more than 15 minutes according to Netflix data reported in Q2 2010. So you have 9.15 million people streaming Netflix video in some capacity.

That works out to about 10.9% (or less if you factor in wireless) of broadband subscribers have streamed Netflix content, and not all of those folks are doing so on a daily basis.

This also agrees with the statistic that the top 10% of broadband connections account for 60% of Internet traffic.

jaymz668

Bloomington, IN

I guess that makes sense, kind of hard for me to reconcile since I regularly use 1.5GB or more data on my cell phone per month. No, I don't run torrents from there, either.

Jasonfn22

join:2009-11-20
Bethlehem, GA
reply to RaZor2003

The meter must have been a bust because its not on my account where it was.Maybe they will perfect the meter and start metering usage like the power company and bill on how much you use each month.

RaZor2003

Downers Grove, IL
reply to RaZor2003

Well my friend in the neighborhood went over 350gb last month and no letter nothing. So it might just not be in my area?

Master Wolfe

join:2009-04-04
Panama City Beach, FL
reply to RaZor2003

I've never even come close to touching the cap.

JohnInSJ
Premium
San Jose, CA
reply to RaZor2003

said by RaZor2003:

Well my friend in the neighborhood went over 350gb last month and no letter nothing. So it might just not be in my area?

You need several things to happen. Going over 250GB is one of them. The other two are, you need to be in the top few % of all users on your node/in your area/or something and the node/area/something needs to be congested - which probably means you or someone else has triggered the traffic shaping/de-prioitization "network management" system.

You get ALL three, you are a winner.
--

RaZor2003

Downers Grove, IL

Limiting my downloads to nightly be a better idea?. My download speeds rarely drop during peak hours / weekends (suburbs). I would still like to have a meter to keep track.

RaZor2003

Downers Grove, IL
reply to RaZor2003

One last Q when we say 250gb cap does that mean just downloads or downloads + uploads

Tordek
Make the outages go away
Premium
join:2009-09-07
Great White

you can`t get to google without first uploading your request, then downloading the page so.... Both
--
If Tier II had there way.... a full node outage would be 3 people....

JohnInSJ
Premium
San Jose, CA
reply to RaZor2003

All traffic thru the modem either way counts, So yes up and down
--

faze

join:2011-01-10
Reisterstown, MD
reply to RaZor2003

Comcast is freaking garbage. They talked to me like I was some criminal for going over the cap, but they advertise their "turbo boost" and "blazing fast speeds," but I can't use it much, or it gets shut off. They told me if I go over the limit again in the next six months, they'll shut it off for a year. Screw Comcast...

bigchris
Do Not Shoot The Messenger
Premium,MVM
join:2002-04-29
Leesburg, VA
reply to Jasonfn22

said by Jasonfn22:

The meter must have been a bust because its not on my account where it was.Maybe they will perfect the meter and start metering usage like the power company and bill on how much you use each month.

Login to www.comcast.com and navigate to the "Users & Settings" in the blue bar at the top. You should then see the meter on the right side and you can click on "view details" for more information on historic use.

jaymz668

Bloomington, IN
reply to fiberguy

While I am not the OP, I have not received a single letter and when Comcast called me they said this is the first time I have gone over the cap but if I did again within 6 months I would be banned for a year.