spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Lestat077

join:2001-11-13

question about air card.

Is there any way to get the air card to be picked up by laptop? I use aircard in my pc and wife got a laptop wants to use my card, just wondering if there is a way to make laptop pick it up on its wifi without me having to unplug my card when she wants to use it?

Max Signal
Premium
join:2008-03-07
Buffalo, NY
kudos:1
Get a 3G router . Insert the card in the router . It redistributes the signal on Wifi frequencies that way both computers can use a single card . For great routers with outstanding prices and support go to www.wirelessnwifi.com

criggs

join:2000-07-14
New York, NY
Reviews:
·Millenicom
Or you can save the bucks on a router, as I have done, by creating a wireless ad hoc network.

Here's the lion's share of an earlier message I posted on this subject which I hope you find useful.

There are two actions that need to be taken.

First, you need to talk to the computer that's directly getting the connection to the Internet. On that computer, you need to create the ad hoc network. After doing so, you then need to make sure that your other computers can connect to your network and access the Internet through your host computer's connection.

Second, if you wish to, you can then configure all the computers on the network so that their files and printers can be shared with all other computers on the network.

While the processes to do both of these actions are actually rather easy (provided you have accurate info to avoid traps), it differs from operating system to operating system.

If you google "create wireless network -router" you will get appropriate instructions for all operating systems, and will NOT be inundated with instructions irrelevant to you concerning the process where an intermediate (and sometimes expensive) router is concerned.

Once you have created your ad hoc wireless network, you will then need to configure your computers to see each other's files and printers. To do so, you need to get them all into the same workgroup.

The easiest way to get started in that regard is to find out the name of your host computer's workgroup. Once you have established that, you then configure the workgroups on all the other computers in your network to have the same name.

I say the easiest, but not necessarily the best way. You see, using your host computer's default workgroup name may mean the following: Suppose you take your laptop with you to a remote location, and then generously let other laptop users in the room use your Internet connection. IF THEIR WORKGROUP NAMES ARE THE SAME AS YOURS AND THEIR FILE-SHARING IS ENABLED, YOU WILL THEN HAVE ACCESS TO ALL THEIR FILES, AND THEY MAY HAVE ACCESS TO YOURS. This is obviously inadvisable and should be avoided. Which is why, ideally, as part of the process of setting up your network workgroup, I recommend that you change the name of your workgroup on your host computer to something unique.

Then when it comes time to name the workgroups on your other computers, they should all get the same unique name as the one you gave to your host computer's workgroup. (Important footnote: some experts recommend that if you have a Windows XP computer on your network, then you match the workgroup names on your other networked computers to the workgroup name on the XP computer. Okay, whatever, maybe XP is temperamental that way. To tell you the truth, I changed my XP computer's workgroup name to the name I had on my Windows 7 host computer and didn't have any problems, but perhaps your mileage may vary.)

Now, how do you do all that?

Again, use your friend google. Do a search for "create home file-sharing network -errors -router" and you should get a bunch of articles on how to set up your network for file-sharing.

I hope the above will be enough to get you started. I am NOT an expert on this, and I managed to set it up in less than an hour. However in-depth discussion, analysis and troubleshooting are a bit beyond me. This web site is a good resource however if you bump into unexpected hurdles.

Good luck!

Max Signal
Premium
Buffalo, NY
Or you can just get a router and plug and play and you are up and running 2 minutes after you get the router . All a matter of how much time , patience and networking knowledge you have

criggs

New York, NY
Reviews:
·Millenicom
And how much money you have, of course, depending how much the router is.

Of course, for me it's a matter of convenience as well. I use only laptops, so the idea of being portable, and having to carry around a minimum amount of gear, is very important, which is another argument in favor of the wireless ad hoc network, in my opinion.

Lestat077

join:2001-11-13
Ok so on the ad hoc. Do I need to connect Ethernet cable between the two or will wirerless pick it up? I'm at work now will be giving this a try when I get home.

criggs

New York, NY
Nope, no cables, no boxes.

The only equipment you need are two computers, both needing to be capable of WiFi (which every laptop made since who-knows-when can do).

NoAccount

@spcsdns.net
BTDT, only attempt this if your time is worth nothing and you deal with aggravation well.

Spending $150 for a Cradlepoint was the best money I ever spent, it is just there waiting to work with no muss no fuss.

With ICS, everytime someone traveled with one of the laptops, it had to all be reconfigured. Maybe someone smarter than I could make it happen, but for me it was just a waste of time. The odds of it failing are directly proportional to how badly you need it to work!

I'm just saying . . . . .

Max Signal
Premium
Buffalo, NY
Thank You , exactly what I have been trying to say .

tpines

join:2002-09-26
Cape Coral, FL
reply to Lestat077
If your PC runs Windows 7, and is a laptop with WiFi, or a desktop system with a WiFi adapter, there is a great, free, easy-to-use program called Connectify, which will turn your system into a virtual hotspot. No need to purchase any additional hardware or software, and no system performance hit. I've used the program for quite a while, and I recommend it highly. Get details here:

»www.connectify.me

If your system is not running Windows 7, I recommend one of the Cradlepoint products. Check them out at

»www.cradlepoint.com