how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

fifty nine

join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ
kudos:2

How about highlighting some of the good things?

Nevermind, I guess people wouldn't be able to bash Comcast then.

Anyway, some of the conditions are sounding pretty good.

For starters, Comcast is pledging to keep the main NBC channel free OTA. This is a GOOD thing, and goes exactly against the fears that some had in that they thought that NBC would be going cable only.

They are also increasing local programming by 1000 hours per year and adding local content via ondemand. Also a good thing!

There are many many good things that Comcast has agreed to. Of course I don't expect too much focus on them, because Comcast is often portrayed as an evil monopoly and nothing else.

skuv

@rr.com
said by fifty nine:

For starters, Comcast is pledging to keep the main NBC channel free OTA. This is a GOOD thing, and goes exactly against the fears that some had in that they thought that NBC would be going cable only.

Anyone that thought this in the first place was an idiot.

NBC/Universal doesn't own all of the programming on their main NBC network. They'd lose the NFL if they went cable only and whatever other professional and college sports they air, unless they work out new higher cost deals. They'd lose all of the shows that are not produced by NBC, which is quite a few of the shows they air. They would lose all the money from local NBC affiliates that they don't own. So basically, if NBC went cable only, they'd lose most of the shows and content that people watch anyway. So what would be the point of NBC going cable only?

NBC/Universal already has cable only channels, USA being one of them.

I don't know why anyone thought the OTA NBC would become a cable only channel in this.

fifty nine

join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ
kudos:2
The other thing is ratings. There are only a few channels that are cable only that even come close to the big 4 in primetime ratings.