share rss forum feed

jcremin

join:2009-12-22
Siren, WI
kudos:2
reply to fiberguy

Re: The most SILLY part of this blog..

said by fiberguy:

Besides, last I checked, the very signals in question (local programming) is already free to the end user. Get an antenna.

I totally agree with everything you said, but I do want to point out that it is virtually impossible in many areas to get reception with an OTA antenna.

In the area I live, you are lucky to pick up more than a few channels with a large rooftop antenna on a tripod with 10' mast and an amplifier, and the installation costs are $500 or more in many cases. After the DTV transition, about 1/2 of the residents had to switch to cable or satellite because the reception was too bad with an antenna.

So sometimes people have no OTA choice even for local stations. But yes, as you said it should be an OPTIONAL addon for those who don't want to pay for them.

fiberguy
My views are my own.
Premium
join:2005-05-20
kudos:3

heh.. in Siren WI, it also seems virtually impossible for them to get the storm Sirens working too! lol. Sorry man, I couldn't resist.

But you're right.. in some areas you're right. And honestly, this is one of those moments where I personally feel that cable SHOULD be able to carry those networks and I believe that it should NOT be a charge to the consumer for it OR to the cable operator. I also feel that the locals should have to cover more areas than they currently do. In the cities where the signal IS available, it should be a charge, but on an ala cart basis and as an option.

I kinda get tired of the locals having their cake and eating it too these days.

fifty nine

join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ

There's no excuse if you live less than 60 miles from the transmitters. I live 48 miles from NYC and my ota setup gets everything. Tell your hoa to shove it and put up a real antenna and enjoy your free tv.

jcremin

Siren, WI
reply to fiberguy

said by fiberguy:

heh.. in Siren WI, it also seems virtually impossible for them to get the storm Sirens working too! lol. Sorry man, I couldn't resist.

Yeah, that was a pretty nasty tornado. You'd think with all of those trees gone that we'd be able to get better reception!

jcremin

Siren, WI
reply to fifty nine

said by fifty nine:

There's no excuse if you live less than 60 miles from the transmitters. I live 48 miles from NYC and my ota setup gets everything. Tell your hoa to shove it and put up a real antenna and enjoy your free tv.

Um, like I mentioned, the cost of putting up a "real" antenna, along with the amps, tripod, etc sometimes can cost $500 or more, and even then the channel selection can be quite limited, so that is one excuse.

Another is that no, not everyone can get the channels 60 miles away. Just because YOU can get the channels 48 miles from NYC doesn't mean that everyone else lives in the same terrain as you. Someone with more hills in the way or thicker trees might be a lot more limited than you are.