Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

WarningU2
Premium
join:2002-10-27
Burlington, ON

Cogeco Package Pricing Misleading?

Hi folks that regularly reside here. Is it just me or is Cogeco's pricing misleading? I had gone to the Cogeco website to check on packages (my wife had asked about OWN - Oprah's new network - say no more;) but while there I was looking at the Digital Packages and there was section about Upgrading to HD Digital Select packages and I thought well thats what I have isn't it?

Exhibit 1: Check out »www.cogeco.ca/cable/on/en/reside···ble.html

Upgrade to the HD Digital Select PackagesAll HD Digital Select packages include the Digital Basic channels plus many popular specialty channels. Digital Select packages also include exclusive Digital Select channels.

Includes the rental of an HD receiver.

Choose Digital Select 1
Includes 1 theme pack of your choice.
Starting at $53.99

Choose Digital Select 3
Includes 3 theme pack of your choice.
Starting at $64.99

Choose Digital Select 8
Includes 8 theme pack of your choice.
Starting at $74.99

All Digital Select packages include Free HD channels!*

Ok now I subscribe to the Digital Select 3 package at $63.99 and apparently there is a $1.00 charge out separately for HD Access TV (did you know that was reduced from $6 starting in Sept?). so I in effect have the package listed on the website already. But I'm paying $9.99 for at DCT6200 Rental for one HD TV I have, and $17.99 for the HD/DVR I have.

My point is ... (and apologies for taking so long to get here) ... is why isn't (at least) the DCT6200 included with the HD Digital Select 3 package as the website says?

A call to the Cogeco customer service dept. followed.

I explained my question several times and the person at the other end explained (at first) that the charges were separated out, that the website price (with the HD receiver) was only for the Select 1 package. But finally after a few frustrating minutes of not accepting that answer I got THE answer. The price listed including the receiver is only for NEW customers. The key I presume is the word upgrade.

I think their pricing is misleading but am I over analysing this ? I find that the Cogeco pricing becomes more and more mysterious similar to my hydro bill. I'd like to know if anyone else thinks website is misleading. It pisses me off that existing customers get screwed and bear the brunt of financing the expansion of Cogeco's customer base.

A Lurker
that's Ms Lurker btw
Premium
join:2007-10-27
Wellington N

Sadly pricing is usually better for new customers. Years ago when they first offered HD in Burlington I was kind of interested. However, rentals for the HD receivers were unreal. On one of their many 'would you like to try HD' calls I explained that I wasn't going to pay what they wanted to try something out. I had hoped that they would drop the receiver rental charge for a month (but no, wouldn't budge). I never bothered and years later I get an offer in the mail for a free HD receiver rental (I chucked it).

I'm sure if they'd done that years ago I'd have been hooked and they would have collected the income from that for the intervening years. Now I figure I've lived without it for this long, it can wait.

M in Cobourg

@cgocable.net
reply to WarningU2

Yes, the Cogeco website is very misleading, giving only discounted prices for new subscribers, including $10 off (or "free") HD box rental and $5 off HD access for the first year. It is not at all helpful for existing subscribers who want to see what it will cost to modify their package.

Do you have Cogeco internet? You can add High Speed Standard for $46.95, including bundle discount. Plus 13% HST on everything, of course.

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to WarningU2

said by WarningU2:

Hi folks that regularly reside here. Is it just me or is Cogeco's pricing misleading?

No, it's not just you and Yes, their prices are misleading. It's ridiculously difficult for me to tell a person how much Cogeco's packages will cost them, as the site forces you to navigate around this stupid postal code / house number BS, and then read the fine lines and blah blah blah...

I always pick up the phone, call Cogeco and ask, "Hey, guy, I can't find jack all on your web site, can you give me some info?" "Sure, no problem, I hear that all the time."

DavidT
She turned me into a newt

join:2006-09-01
Oakville, ON
reply to WarningU2

If you want the REAL pricing, you have to look at Cogeco's programing brochure (which is pretty well hidden on their web site)

»www.cogeco.ca/cable/resources/tv···en_o.pdf

The pricing in the brochure is the actual cost, without promotions for existing customers.

Much like how cigarette packages have pictures of rotting teeth and diseased lungs, etc. Cogeco's website should have pictures of balding heads.

Anal Warts

@opera-mini.net

Cogeco has become one of the most deceptivce media co's in Canada since the CEO retired and his douche kid took over.

I walked away and will never come back. Getting free HD from OTA is well worth the fewer channels.

nitzguy
Premium
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON
reply to WarningU2

Warning, threaten to cancel, get put through to retentions, get that deal...problem solved .

...its really that simple. They'd rather keep you as a customer than lose you over some silly hd rental fee.

They rely on people not calling in and just raise the rates. When you call to cancel, if they say why, just say Bell and Starchoice can offer me a better deal...then when you get to retentions, explain what you want, and they should be happy to assist you .

HTH

hagbard72

join:2000-10-02
Kingsville

I hear YMMV on that one, especially if you try applying it to internet service. If you head to RFDs you'll find many who threatened to cancel and they said "sure, what date would you like the disconnection?".

urbanriot
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to DavidT

said by DavidT:

If you want the REAL pricing, you have to look at Cogeco's programing brochure (which is pretty well hidden on their web site)

»www.cogeco.ca/cable/resources/tv···en_o.pdf

That's ridiculously helpful. If only they had one of those for all their services...

M in Cobourg

@cgocable.net
reply to DavidT

Actually, you can get the same information, plus pricing on High Speed Internet and Home Phone with offers and bundle pricing, in the "Cogeco Digital Cable" brochure available from Cogeco storefronts.

urbanriot
Premium
Canada

Finding that in PDF format sounds like a job for David T!

MrPink

join:2003-08-15
Peterborough, ON
reply to M in Cobourg

assuming ur city of 75 000 has a storefront. which peterborough doesn't.....

nitzguy
Premium
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON
reply to hagbard72

said by hagbard72:

I hear YMMV on that one, especially if you try applying it to internet service. If you head to RFDs you'll find many who threatened to cancel and they said "sure, what date would you like the disconnection?".

I take everything, and I mean EVERYTHING said in RFD with a grain of salt, those people are nuts. I'm not saying go in guns blazing, I'm saying make the argument....new subs are counted when they're disconnected for 90 days, the charge of a truck roll out and a truck roll back in + 3 months of lost revenue for Cogeco should make the representative think twice about disconnecting. Maybe if they had internet only, then yes of course Cogeco would pull the plug, but for someone with TV, the rules change.

hagbard72

join:2000-10-02
Kingsville

They'd likely just disconnect me then, since I only have internet and phone. I am cancelling the phone and getting VOIP.ms and saving $30 a month (well, maybe $20 since I get a bundle discount).