spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Ojaclan

@pivot.net

[modem/router] Public IP address

I'm trying to change my router from NAT3 to NAT2 and I was told I need my ISP's public IP. It's not on the bottom of my modem or router so does anyone have the public IP address and IP netmask?

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
Reviews:
·Hollis Hosting
·G4 Communications
Have no idea what NAT2/3 refer to I assume you mean Network Address Translation.

It would be useful to know what kind of equipment you are using. Assuming you have a residential account the IP address can change at any time so you do not want to hard code it. Most modem/routers use web based interfaces that let you view the current settings.

Failing that you can determine you public IP by:
»www.whatsmyip.org/

/tom

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to Ojaclan
said by Ojaclan :

I'm trying to change my router from NAT3 to NAT2 and I was told I need my ISP's public IP. It's not on the bottom of my modem or router so does anyone have the public IP address and IP netmask?

Your public IP address is the IP address assigned by FairPoint to your CPE. Where to find it depends what equipment you have, and how it is configured. Or you could just go to a site as suggest by tschmidt See Profile.

But I like to look for it on the actual equipment, just because it keeps me on my toes WRT using my equipment.

When I first replaced a Westell WireSpeed B90-36R516 with the current SpeedStream 4100, I changed the way I hooked things up. Westell was a simple DSl bridge, and I had a router running the PPPoE session. With the SpeedStream, I configured it to run the PPPoE session, and initially passed the public IP address to the router; then changed it to assign a private IP address to the router. But I have recently changed back to bridging the modem, and running PPPoE from the router.

So where I would look was dependent on configuration. With PPPoE on the modem, I would check the modem status page for the information. With the modem bridged, I check the router status page.

However, knowing the public IP address, and netmask, might not be helpful with NAT and a game console; which is what I presume you are trying to do. Probably trying to host a game on a PS3, or Xbox 360? Usually easiest to configure the router with UPnP enabled. The game console should be able to control the router ports it needs that way.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum