spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

tilopa88

@mchsi.com

speedstream 4100b reset

I just bought a used 4100b from ebay for my new dsl connection with ATT in California. I cannot seem to reset the router to factory default, when I hold the reset button it does nothing, then when I let go off the button the router seems to reboot, power LED flashes red then the green lights come on. According the the speedstream doc I download when you press the reset the power LED should flash red and then orange and then when you release after 4 seconds it reboots.

The problem that I am having is that after I try and reset (though the Ethernet LED comes on green) I cannot establish a connection with my PC. There is no DHCP supplied IP address and if I hardcode a 192.168.0.x and 192.168.0.1 for gateway it does not work either. It kind of seems like the router is stuck in Bridged mode.

Is it possible the reset button does not work, is it possible that this particular 4100 can not be reset out of Bridged mode? Is it possible to take this thing apart down to the PCB and reset it by removing the CMOS battery or something?

Thanks.

wayjac
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy
kudos:1

What is the part number of the 4100b

tilopa88

@mchsi.com

Thanks for replying. The part number is:

060R-D146-A10

daveinpoway
Premium
join:2006-07-03
Poway, CA
kudos:2
reply to tilopa88

There is no CMOS battery inside of a 4100/4100B.

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy
reply to tilopa88

That is a 4100b part number

said by tilopa88 :

According the the speedstream doc I download when you press the reset the power LED should flash red and then orange and then when you release after 4 seconds it reboots

The power led only flashes red/green
A simple press and release of the reset button will factory reset the modem

When the 4100 is in bridge mode you can assign a static ip and subnet mask to the pc being used and access it's configuration pages without doing a factory reset
Any 192.168.0.0 ip can be used except 192.168.0.1

tilopa88

@mchsi.com

As I mentioned I tried with static IP of 192.168.0.x on my pc and 192.168.0.1 for the gateway.

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy

If setting the computers ip address to 192.168.1.64 and the subnet mask to 255.255.0.0 and you can't access the modem the modem has problems

tilopa88

@mchsi.com

Thanks.

So, just so I'm clear. If the modem is being properly reset it should be reset to non-bridged mode, which is the mode where DHCP on the modem is on and it is spitting out an IP of 192.168.0.x and gateway of 192.168.0.1. And all one needs to do is put 192.168.0.1 in their browser to access the configuration. If after I have tried to reset several times and I do not get an IP automatically, and when I manually give myself an IP of 192.168.0.2 (for example), and still cannot even ping 192.168.0.1 then:
1. The reset function does not work and the modem is still in Bridged mode - it seems unlikely that the reset would not be working.
2. The modem is somehow "hard coded" to not allow it to go into non-Bridged mode. I read somewhere that some ISPs would do this (why, I don't know), and these types of modems cannot be put into non-Bridged mode. Does anyone have any info on whether this is true, is it even possible to do that. And more importantly is there any way to undo that?

Thanks again all.

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy

Have a look at the picture I posted that's what the bottom of a at&t/sbc 4100b modem looks like
Does your modem look like the picture

When a computer has it's tcp/ip info set like I've posted you can access the modem bridged or not

When the modems dhcp is working it will allocate just one ip address 192.168.1.64
The modems ip address/subnet mask is 192.168.0.1/255.255.0.0

You can use the 4100b without accessing it's configuration pages if it's dsl light is solid green

jhd

join:2005-08-08
Mountain View, CA
reply to tilopa88

Interesting. I also just bought a 4100B off eBay, and have exactly the same problem. Factory reset doesn't work, and I can't get an address via DHCP. Symptoms all just as you described.

tilopa

@sbcglobal.net

Mine turned out to be broken, not functioning. The ethernet port was not functioning.

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy

The 4100b has a ethernet link/activity light was it unlit