nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO

nunya

MVM

[CATV] Whole House DVR

In another thread, someone said whole house DVR was available from Charter in St. Louis. I'm finding nothing on this. Is it true? If so, please provide details on the equipment ans setup.
sittin_tech
join:2004-04-13
Rochester, MN

2 edits

sittin_tech

We have them in Rochester, MN. They use MoCA. »www.mocalliance.org/

currently you can connect up to 3 HD boxes via your current cable system up to a DVR. you can watch recorded programs on any of the units.

more info from motorola if you feel like reading
»www.motorola.com/staticf ··· _new.pdf
cloves69
join:2004-01-11
Midwest

cloves69 to nunya

to nunya
As sittin tech stated, you can have one primary box (the DVR w/ two tuners) and up to 3 secondary HD boxes. You can watch recorded programming on all the boxes, but can only set up record/delete options from the Primary box. The secondary boxes are half the size of the Primary box.

Hard drive space is 320 GB for the DVR's in STL, there are 500 GB but I believe those are in Minnesota.

Charter has been doing a soft launch the past couple of weeks. Starting 2011 they'll do a full launch. Only markets currently being launched are St. Louis, MO and Rochester, MN.

IrishGirlSTL
@mycingular.net

IrishGirlSTL to nunya

Anon

to nunya
I just left the Charter office (in St. Louis). They indeed do have the "multi-room DVR and they are coming out Sunday to install.
taurusgl
join:2007-07-30
Turlock, CA

taurusgl

Let us know how it goes.
numberbuster
join:2009-08-05
Saint Charles, MO

numberbuster

What are they charging for this?

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
O Fallon, MO
·Charter

nunya

MVM

Do you have to let Charter in your house for this service? I've always had bad experiences with Charter installations.
The last time I let them in (about 5 years ago), they tracked mud everywhere, scratched the hardwood with a drill bit, and tried to overcharge me. They literally counted every existing phone and CATV outlet and tried to claim that they installed them - on what should have been, for all intents and purposes, a "pole only" reconnect. They told my wife they "had to" come into the house; I wasn't home. Charter subs get paid by piecework, so they try and scam the system any time they can.

Being a former CATV installer myself, and very picky about wiring, I decided this last time I got cable that I would not let them into my house. So far it's worked out well.

koma3504
Advocate
Premium Member
join:2004-06-22
Granbury, TX

koma3504 to sittin_tech

Premium Member

to sittin_tech
Ok how many Streams can you record / watch with these units.

Will they be limited like Att whole house DVR??
sittin_tech
Rochester, MN

sittin_tech

Currently the Base unit is still a dual tuner HD DVR, the the hub units are completely independent from the base unit as for as watching live tv. The hub units all have HD tuners and are able to pull up the hard drive of the base unit and watch anything that is recorded. With the current system there is a limit to 3 hub units to one DVR, but the future plans are to have 8 hubs, maybe even 16 as the technology improves.

I am not familiar with the Att product. With the 4 boxes being independent there is no restriction of what is being watched live or recorded in any room. Although you can only record 2 shows at one time.

koma3504
Advocate
Premium Member
join:2004-06-22
Granbury, TX

koma3504

Premium Member

So you will only be able to record 2 steams at one time only??

If yes

Will every one have to use the whole hose dvr or can they use old style dvr like the 8300 ??

thanks
sittin_tech
Rochester, MN

sittin_tech

I don't have an answer to your question. All I know is MoCA is an exciting technology that has the potential to link multiple devices. I have no idea far charter will take it, but I do know they are taking the first step.

I recommend you check out the MoCA website to find out more about this technology.

www.mocalliance.org/
»mocablog.net/

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
O Fallon, MO

nunya

MVM

What is the actual equipment being used? Please tell me it's not Moxi.
Feramors
join:2010-05-07
Saint Louis, MO

Feramors

said by nunya:

What is the actual equipment being used? Please tell me it's not Moxi.

Negative, sir. Motorola.