share rss forum feed

jvmorris
I Am The Man Who Was Not There.
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-03
Reston, VA
kudos:1

Trapster?

Anyone over there use Trapster (»www.trapster.com) or something equivalent? It seems to mostly show speed cameras and stop light cameras in the UK. Not clear to me yet whether it shows traffic congestion, roadworks. Does anyone know if it's more or less up-to-date?

Oh, yeah, works with SATNAV units from Garmin and Magellan, most smartphones, apparently.
--
Regards,
Joseph V. Morris

wonko3fc
Verbum sat sapienti

join:2001-06-02
UK
»www.keepmoving.co.uk
Although for some reason, it seems not to be working as it should today.

jvmorris
Premium,MVM
Reston, VA

1 edit
I'm drivin' in my car . . . Man comes on the radio . . .

Is that accessible on-the-road, i.e., smartphone or NAVSAT? Hold on, let me try for a snapshot of Birmingham; that's always fun and it's getting a bit late over there now.

Back in a mo . . .

. . . Okay, the only thing I'm getting at the moment (from Trapster) for Birmingham (on the laptop) is the color coding for traffic congestion -- nothing for accidents, roadwork, or speed cameras. Now, I know I had those earlier today when looking at London. I mean, it's sort of nice to know there's congestion on the M6 west of the M5 junction, but that's not exactly news, is it?
--
Regards,
Joseph V. Morris

jvmorris
Premium,MVM
Reston, VA
Click for full size
Okay, like this? On the M5 and M6, the greenish roadways are moving at speed, the yellow-orange are slightly slow (red would be heavily congested). Unfortunately, the only thing I got in this screenshot appears to be speed cameras.
--
Regards,
Joseph V. Morris

wonko3fc
Verbum sat sapienti

UK
Click for full size
I'm no expert on the facility but it seems to be working...

jvmorris
Premium,MVM
Reston, VA
Okay, and I take it that this is an area with which you are familiar and can verify that at least some of the speed cameras do in fact exist at the indicated locations?

What had been concerning me in my earlier image was that all of the symbols were more or less static issues. Schools, stationary speed cameras, narrow bridges, curvy roads, etc. But this image of yours shows some non-persistent locations at which patrol cars are apparently parked along the roadway, e.g., on the A4094. What I'm, not seeing, however are work areas, accidents, flooded roadways.

This whole app is based on self-reporting so this may indicate that not a lot of people in the UK actually use Trapster, which rather limits its utility.
--
Regards,
Joseph V. Morris

poacher 1rtd
Premium
join:2004-02-25
oxford UK
said by jvmorris:

This whole app is based on self-reporting so this may indicate that not a lot of people in the UK actually use Trapster, which rather limits its utility.

I`ve never heard of Trapster before, I`ve just had a look at it in my area and it shows the permanent cameras and the places the police stop for non fixed traps.
--
los valientes no asesinan. Guillermo Prieto (1818-1897)

jvmorris
Premium,MVM
Reston, VA
The versions for mobile phones (at least for Android-based phones) is free (at the moment), not sure about the versions that work with Garmin and Magellan SATNAV units (or even exactly how they work, for that matter).

They do caution users, however, that this stuff will eat up batteries on smart phones and SATNAVs unless you're running off the car battery.
--
Regards,
Joseph V. Morris

wonko3fc
Verbum sat sapienti

UK
Everything eats battery life in Andriod phones!

I can validate the location of the fixed cameras locally and also, the known locations preferred by our traveling speed trap friends.

The red/black stuff in the image I posted is (or was last time I passed through a few weeks back) subject to road works, which whilst not reported, is reflected in congestion. Not so certain we have that many floods in the UK just now, have you tried Queensland?

jvmorris
Premium,MVM
Reston, VA
No, I can wait until the snow starts melting in the Welsh hills, and the Severn and the Wye flood.
--
Regards,
Joseph V. Morris