Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

w0g
o.O

join:2001-08-30
Springfield, OR
reply to WiFiguru

Re: How's Your January 2011 Sprint 4G WiMax Speeds?

said by WiFiguru:

Little bit more snappy tonight, but pathetic:

those results are pretty similar to what I saw when using an Epic 4G, although not through tethering. I'm seeing guys with EVO pulling 15Mbps, is it because they're tethering or is it possibly because the EVO is just better performing than the Epic? I was seeing 1-2Mbps and occasionally 3-5Mbps when I tested it using the speedtest.net Android app, which was pitiful. Wondering if you have an Epic as well considering your poor results, and anyone else here with poor results who don't mention the device they're using.

mojo1

join:2006-12-05
Victoria, TX
reply to criggs
This is tethered to EVO via wifi. Speeds seem to be a little off tonight for some reason.

criggs

join:2000-07-14
New York, NY
Here's what I'm getting today:

mojo1

Victoria, TX
reply to criggs
Things are not looking so good in Atlanta tonight. I'll blame it on the rain for now.

criggs

New York, NY
Reviews:
·Millenicom
And here's my result today (I think I'll start using Speakeasy instead of Speed test. See »Re: Post your Sprint 3G speeds here. 50 GB plan..)

Last Result:
Download Speed: 5605 kbps (700.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 939 kbps (117.4 KB/sec transfer rate)

ticktock8

join:2011-01-08
Saint Charles, IL
Best night ever here in ChiTown burbs. Lovin it. Although Clearwire is noted as ISP, my service is through Sprint. This happens to those of us who use the Motorola desktop modem.

criggs

New York, NY
Reviews:
·Millenicom
Hmmm. I wonder whether that means you're getting dumped into Clear's throttling management. Of course, those results are fine.

Keeping the thread on topic, here's my results for today (using Speakeasy, for reasons explained above):

Last Result:
Download Speed: 7441 kbps (930.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 838 kbps (104.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

mojo1

Victoria, TX
reply to criggs
Ping is down, but speeds are too. There have been some strange things going on in Atlanta on both 3G and 4G for the last couple of days.

criggs

New York, NY
Reviews:
·Millenicom

1 edit
For what it's worth, while those speeds may be slower than you're used to on 4G, they are still in spec, if one accepts Sprint's minimum average speed figure of 3 down/1 up (they don't specify a ping figure).

In fact, your speeds look remarkably similar to what I got for about 90 minutes yesterday. It's the first time since I got this back in early November that I suspected I was being throttled, though it's obviously mild compared to some of the nightmares others have reported here with Clear.

And, just to keep this thread on track, here's my 4G speeds today:

HSDays

join:2007-11-26
Reynoldsburg, OH
reply to criggs
Test 1:
Sprint Overdrive Connected to 4G in Cleveland:

Test 2:
After power cycling the device:
Sprint Overdrive Connected to 4G in Cleveland:

Test 3:
Sprint Overdrive Connected to 3G in Cleveland:

These speeds are pretty typical. I've called Sprint more times than I can count and their advice is always the same: Reset the device

criggs

New York, NY
Reviews:
·Millenicom
You need to speak to them in a language they understand.

After you've experienced these speeds for more than half a month, call up their Customer Care and ask for a full credit for the month. That might unstick the process.

I presume you've looked at the Sprint coverage map at sprint.com/coverage and verified that your address is in an INDOOR 4G coverage area, right?

ticktock8

join:2011-01-08
Saint Charles, IL
reply to criggs
Never seen anything to lead me to think I have fallen into throttling management, and I have moved some serious gigs. Recently did a considerable online backup, all the while doing netflicks and so forth. If there was any throttling I am sure it would have happened recently.

WiFiguru
To infinity... and beyond
Premium
join:2005-06-21
Irvine, CA
reply to criggs
Lodi, California:

criggs

New York, NY
Well, that is clearly below spec. I hope you call Sprint pronto.

HSDays

join:2007-11-26
Reynoldsburg, OH
reply to criggs
Yes, I have reviewed the coverage map. I've had this device since June of 2010, we've had 4G since September. Calling Sprint is absolutely pointless. I've spent hours on the phone, only for the call to be dropped. Then the whole process starts over again.

I don't think it's a coverage issue, or a service issue, I believe it to be a device issue. This Overdrive is plagued with problems and there's absolutely nothing I can do about it at this point, except deal with it. I'm just happy when the device turns on and actually connects to the network.

criggs

New York, NY
Reviews:
·Millenicom
In that case, there are modems available on ebay for less than 30 dollars at »shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=Sprint ··· 70.l1313 . That might be the solution.

WiFiguru
To infinity... and beyond
Premium
join:2005-06-21
Irvine, CA
reply to criggs
Lodi, California -- today:

criggs

New York, NY
And here's what I'm getting today, in New York City:

Triptrailz

@clearwire-wmx.net
I just got the U1901 4g USB, and the docking bay and heres when i'm getting... pretty bad. why does it say my isp is clearwire corp. and i'm in NYC and it says my home is near seattle washington?