how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

cooperguy

join:2010-12-31
Ankeny, IA

Can't receive calls

Magic jack problems -- I've had it since 12-31 and some problems getting it connected, but I think I've solved those.
Today it can send out calls but is not receiving .. any ideas?

bitstopjoe

join:2009-08-02
Pen Argyl, PA

If you are using the short extension cord which came with the MJ, DON"T. It causes all kinds of problems. Also make sure you are using a REAR usb port on your PC as it does make a difference. Also check in device manager in the USB section and make sure none ( there are more than one) of your USB ROOT HUBS are not set to power save mode.
If all else fails a POWERED usb hub may help.

Joe Sica

cooperguy

join:2010-12-31
Ankeny, IA

Thanks, I think I will get a powered USB hub

teacup

@cgocable.net

Here how it was fixed for me. I chat with LiveSupport and was able to fix it. Very happy.

Zerah: Hello, how may I help you?
Me: Hello. Today it can send out calls but is not receiving. It was working before for almost a year. As soon as I call my number, I don't have any dial tone but it is showing "disconnected" right away on my phone from which I am calling my number. I upgraded it, reset, restart computer, reset all cables, re-installed completely, unchecked USB ROOT HUBS not to be set to power save mode, checked firewall on my XP to ensure magicjack is listed.. I am running out of ideas why it suddenly stopped working.. Please help!
Zerah: Thank you for the information.
Zerah: May I know if your magicJack is currently plugged in into your computer?
Me: yes. it is connected and has blue light as it does usually
Zerah: Good.
Zerah: »upgrades.magicjack.com/upgrade/upgrade.exe
Zerah: Please click on the link above and then run the upgrade.
Me: ok. it is completed now and magicjack is open
Zerah: Please ask a friend to call your magicJack number.
Zerah: Check if you can now receive the call
Me: I just did - same problem. no dial tone once they dial the number and it disconnects right away. I also tried it from my cell number - it does the same and not connecting.
Zerah: I see
Me: i searched on internet for solution before calling you s well.
Zerah: Click on "Start" button then RUN. Type-in firewall.cpl then hit "Enter" on your keyboard.
Zerah: Thanks for the additional information.
Me: no problems, I just would like to fix it. Ok. the Windows Firewall is open now.
Zerah: Please click Exceptions tab then click Add port.
Me: ok
Zerah: In the ADD PORT window, please add:
Zerah: Name: Cudp ; Port number: 5060 then click UDP button then click "OK"
Me: done
Zerah: Click on ADD port again, then add:
Zerah: Name: Cudp ; Port number: 5070 then click UDP button then click "OK".
Me: I tried to call again but the issue is still there. Anything else should I do before I try to call?
Zerah: May I know if Windows Firewall is still up?
Me: yes.
Zerah: Name: Cudp ; Port number: 49152 then click UDP button then click "OK".
Me: done. Shell I try to call again.
Zerah: Not yet
Zerah: Name: Cudp ; Port number: 65535 then click UDP button then click "OK". Click "OK" to close "Windows Firewall" window.
Me: completed
Zerah: On the magicJack's dial pad, please click on "Menu", click "Advance Users", then "Restart".
Me: done.
Zerah: Try calling your number again
Me: no luck.
Zerah: Please go to your computer's Control Panel. Click on Add/remove programs. Look for magicJack in the list and uninstall it.
Me: ok
Me: done
Zerah: Click on "Start" button then RUN. Type-in devmgmt.msc then hit "Enter" on your keyboard.
Me: ok.
Zerah: At Device Manager window, click the + sign next to Sound, video and games Controllers then see if you can find USB Internet Phone by Tigerjet in there.
Me: no, i don't see it in that list.
Zerah: Do you see ASB Audio device in there?
Me: no, I see USB Audio Device if it is what you mean?
Zerah: Yes, USB Audio device
Zerah: Right click the USB Audio device then click Properties. In the Properties box, under the General tab, check if you see location 0 usb internet phone by tigerjet.
Me: yes it is: Location 0 (USB Internet Phone by TigerJet)
Zerah: Right click the USB Audio device and select UNINSTALL.
Me: ok, it is gone from the list now. i removed it
Zerah: Now, please right click on Disk Drives and select "Scan for Hardware Changes".
Me: ok, now it is back to the list.
Zerah: Please close Device Manager and then restart the magicJack.
Zerah: On the dial pad click on Menu > Advanced Users > Restart. Your magicJack dialpad will restart.
Me: i am not sure that I can do it because we uninstall the magicjack.
Zerah: Please unplug your magicjack and plug it back after 20 seconds to another USB port of your computer.
Me: ok it is back now. should I restart it like you previously advised?
Zerah: No need.
Zerah: try calling your magicJack number again.
Me: yeah!!! it worked!