RevoDS
join:2010-03-11
Canada

RevoDS to hm

to hm

Re: Videotron customer hacked Thousands in bills

said by hm :

said by gravufo:

Seriously, this is really retarded...How is it Vidéotron's fault that you do not secure your wireless connection?

According to the Gazette article, the router was secured. You might want to read it.

The router was password-protected, but it doesn't mean it's secured. If she used WEP encryption for example, the network was in no way secure despite having a password.
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError to DanTou

to DanTou
said by DanTou:

It's not her fault if someone hacked into her computer; it's the hackers' fault.

It is her fault she let bills pile up to $1800 over a WHOLE YEAR before doing something about it.

If I received a huge overage bill, I would take action to determine what happened IMMEDIATELY upon receiving it, not a whole year later.
Fardoche
join:2010-09-08

Fardoche to julienvf

to julienvf
said by julienvf:

The problem here is that it's the Videotron employee who proposed her to switch to TGV30 which has no overage limit. I strongly hope she takes this to court and have the penalty over 50$/month waived for the whole period.

Where is it said that a Videotron employee "proposed" she switched?

That custommer was fully aware of her situation and has been for a whole year. People these days don't take their responsabilities and always blame others for what's happening to them.

If your gaz consomption doulbes because your engine is broken and you have been told over and over to fix your engine, then it's your fu%*&g fault for not doing anything. Don't blame the garage, don't blame the car manufacturer, blame YOURSELF.

As the great Jerry Maguire would say: "Help me help you"

trainwreck6
join:2010-09-21
off track

trainwreck6 to hmm

to hmm

customer hacked Thousands in bills

Videotron.......
\\\\

SUCKS!!!
Fardoche

Fardoche

said by trainwreck6:

Videotron.......
\\\\

SUCKS!!!

Is that your final answer?

Instant O
@videotron.ca

Instant O to ggtyh6

Anon

to ggtyh6

Re: Videotron customer hacked Thousands in bills

said by ggtyh6:

If I leave my home, the door remains wide open and my 47 inches tv gets stolen; do you think my insurance company will pay for the tv if the police investigates and find out that I did not do the bare minimum to try to protect it?

Same with Internet access. Bare minimum is: change the ******* default password and rtfm.

This customer paid 1800$ to learn that wifi routers need a little more than just getting it out of the box and plugging it in...

Just a tad off-topic but what you just said is actually false. If you leave your house with the door opened and you get your 47" TV stolen, the insurance company will pay you. Same thing as if you leave a window opened or a back-door (like a patio door) opened. To enter someone's house without prior consent by the owner is a criminal act by itself. Theft doesn't need to be accompanied with breaking the lock on a door or a window.

On topic, although it is the user's responsibility to protect it's internet access, I believe that a maximum liability in case of theft or hacking if you will, should be enforced by law. It is indecent that any company, whether it'd be Bell or Videotron can have a "sky is the limit" surcharge policy, regardless of the responsibility of a victim of a crime.
Fardoche

Fardoche

said by Instant O :

On topic, although it is the user's responsibility to protect it's internet access, I believe that a maximum liability in case of theft or hacking if you will, should be enforced by law. It is indecent that any company, whether it'd be Bell or Videotron can have a "sky is the limit" surcharge policy, regardless of the responsibility of a victim of a crime.

Can you explain why she let it go that far ? I mean, after getting a $400+ bill, I would have called and ask to shut everything down or change my internet connection to what it was before. Why the hell did she wait another 3 months to do something? And what did she do? She went crying to the news

Again, companies have to takes customers by the hand. This is why they (companies) have to come up with idiot proof instructions: "Do not use hair dryer in bathtub or you will get electrocuted"

Instant O
@videotron.ca

Instant O

Anon

said by Fardoche:

Can you explain why she let it go that far ? I mean, after getting a $400+ bill, I would have called and ask to shut everything down or change my internet connection to what it was before. Why the hell did she wait another 3 months to do something? And what did she do? She went crying to the news

Again, companies have to takes customers by the hand. This is why they (companies) have to come up with idiot proof instructions: "Do not use hair dryer in bathtub or you will get electrocuted"

Yeah, you and all the others here, including myself would have jumped on the phone on the very first bill with a surcharge BUT, she didn't. If you read carefully what I wrote, I am not saying that companies should carry all responsibilities. What I said is that there should be a limit in case of theft, much like credit card companies offer.

Take yourself as an example. You seem to be a fairly intelligent, educated man. You probably have a credit card. Say you lose it or it gets cloned. If you are like me, you don't use your credit card often, so you probably won't notice it the same day. Might take several days before you notice the loss, giving plenty of time to someone to load that baby to the top. Chance are you will only be liable for the first $50 - $100, that's it. I think that sort of protection should be made available, free of charge, by all ISPs.

The sky is the limit policy is, like I said, simply indecent.
Fardoche

Fardoche

said by Instant O :

said by Fardoche:

Yeah, you and all the others here, including myself would have jumped on the phone on the very first bill with a surcharge BUT, she didn't. If you read carefully what I wrote, I am not saying that companies should carry all responsibilities. What I said is that there should be a limit in case of theft, much like credit card companies offer.

Take yourself as an example. You seem to be a fairly intelligent, educated man. You probably have a credit card. Say you lose it or it gets cloned. If you are like me, you don't use your credit card often, so you probably won't notice it the same day. Might take several days before you notice the loss, giving plenty of time to someone to load that baby to the top. Chance are you will only be liable for the first $50 - $100, that's it. I think that sort of protection should be made available, free of charge, by all ISPs.

The sky is the limit policy is, like I said, simply indecent.

Would be too easy to say after downloading a ton of gigs to say "It wasn't me". This girl had a 12 month history of huge downloads. Same thing with VOD on Illico. "I didn't order these movies, the landlord must have come in and ordered all those movies. I'm not paying for this" or "I didn't make those long distance calls..." You know where I'm going with this. If she was indeed hacked, she should call the police and have a proper report filled and try to have her insurance company pay for everyting since she has been a "victim" of a crime in her own home. I'm no lawyer, but juliemvf might tell us if that would be doable or not.

I see 2 mistakes here. 1st she upgraded her packaged without knowing what she was doing and 2nd, the agent let her upgrade her package. But, we don't know what has been said during the conversation with the agent. She might have told him that since her roommate left, downloads would go down.... who knows.

En Enfer
This account has been compromised
join:2003-07-25
Montreal, QC

1 edit

En Enfer to DanTou

to DanTou
said by DanTou:

You're all missing the point.

Being computer illeterate doesn't mean you're stupid.

It's not her fault if someone hacked into her computer; it's the hackers' fault.

said by TigerLord:

If someone steals your Visa card and fills it up, they block the card and you get a call. If it happens multiple times, then you can get investigated.

Should be the same with ISP, at the price they charge.

Problem here is, guys, the CUSTOMER added her own router. It's the equivalent of leaving your Visa card on the table while you eat at the restaurant: You can keep an eye on it, but anyone can borrow it and pay his own bill while you're visiting the restroom, sneak it back o nthe table before you come back. That's negligence.

Also, any Network Administrator knows this: There are GOOD passwords and there are BAD passwords. What is your facebook account password? Your pet's name? Or your home/cell phone number? A secured router doesn't directly mean well-protected router. WEP, WAP, and all those other confusing protocols also have various layers of protection.

As someone said in the discussion from the news on the main page, "In civil matters you should be responsible for the terms you agreed to."

Instant O
@videotron.ca

Instant O to hmm

Anon

to hmm
OK, I've been following this forum for a couple of years now, in both french and English and I've seen you guys sooooo many times bitch, rant and rave against Videotron's insane surcharge rate per extra Gigs and now, you find it perfectly reasonable for them to charge this "not so brilliant" client for not taking her responsibilities.

Furthermore, Fadoche, you claim that it would be too easy? Well, I have HV and I do have a surcharge limit which I gladly exploit almost every month. Sure, I would like to have more speed, but with ridiculous caps and on top of it, that insane "sky is the limit" policy on extra billing... Non merci, thank you very much!

I do agree with you that this individual is not the brightest light in the Christmas tree (seasonal play of words... lol) but that doesn't make that sky is the limit policy any less obscene and abusive.

I understand that we disagree on this issue and it's fine by me. I won't argue with you until we are both blue in the face. I wish a very good day nevertheless.

Cheers!
bluex
join:2005-02-04
Gatineau, QC

bluex to hmm

to hmm
As I always said, people should follow basic courses and get a license (with points) before being allowed to connect a computer to the Internet.
Insideux
join:2010-10-08
Quebec, QC

Insideux

She must have been credited a whole month of surcharge with mention that it'll be the only time. Then I'm sure she exceeded again for twice the amount.

Sorry, no pity.
Expand your moderator at work