uniqs
share rss forum feed

Postal
First pull up, then pull down.
Premium
join:2000-08-30
Simi Valley, CA

I'll be joining the unemployed in July

The aerospace company I've worked at for the last 23+ years (located in Simi Valley) was sold last month. The new owners told us this morning that they will move the product line (electromechanical actuators) to one of their factories in Ohio and close this plant in July. 200 people out of a job.

Yay.
--
Next time you wave at me, use ALL your fingers.

stormbow
Freedom isn't FREE
Premium
join:2002-07-31
Simi Valley, CA
Who? Or are you not allowed to say?

Postal
Premium
Simi Valley, CA
The company I work at is Telair International (up on Guardian Street). We were bought by TransDigm (pronounced Transdime).
--

dogma
XYZ
Premium
join:2002-08-15
Boulder City, NV
kudos:1
Gee. Why would they want to move manufacturing production out of sunny SoCal?

Is it safe to assume you are in pretty good shape in that:

A.) A 6 Month lead time to find a new gig is awesome.
B.) 23 years = a huge severance package
C.) The 401K is in good shape
D.) If all else fails, there an open offer for relocation to the Ohio facility
E.) Perfect opportunity for you to re-tool your life on your terms.

Opportunities for you should be excellent. You will land on your feet running.

Postal
Premium
Simi Valley, CA
The severance package is 1 weeks pay for every year of service. But I only get it if I stay to the very end.

They are sending people from their Ohio facility out here for us to train. There will be very little, if any, offers to go to Ohio.

quote:
E.) Perfect opportunity for you to re-tool your life on your terms.
I guess this is the best way for me to look at it. Finding something else in industrial manufacturing around here will be tough. And I'm not so sure I want to stay in this line of work anyway. The pressure to get things done quicker and cheaper is massive.

I am our 'Outside Process Coordinator'. I'm in charge of sub-contracting all of our outside machining, heat treating and plating, etc. No college education though, started here when I was 19 so this place is really all I know. That's going to be a big strike against me I suppose.

Luckily, I'm doing OK in the financial area for the immediate future. I'm single, no kids, rent is fairly cheap. I've put in 40 hours a week since I was 17 and always saved my money, so I have a decent nest egg to draw from.

We'll see....
--

tephie
Premium
join:2001-02-07
Victorville, CA
reply to Postal
Sorry for your loss of a job, but damn if the people in Ohio aren't in need of a few more jobs! Seems like they're having a harder time there than we are out here (collectively).

AbBaZaBbA
Premium
join:2002-07-10
Wildomar, CA
kudos:4

1 recommendation

reply to Postal
so stick it out till the end, get your unemployment and use part of your severance to take a month or two and see the world. Have fun.

You have what 2 years of unemployment to find a job? You don't sound like you'll be out on the street if your salary gets cut a bit so just take your time.

dogma
XYZ
Premium
join:2002-08-15
Boulder City, NV
reply to Postal
Based on your individual circumstances, it seems if you play your cards right, you could position yourself for semi-retirement now. IOW, do what you want to do, when you want to do it (within reason).

I am thinking you just missed "old school" defined benefits/pension plans when you came into the workforce, and you have defined contribution benefits. This may be a factor, but from the outside looking in, your world is in front of you. The no-spouse/no kids thing is HUGE. Take it from me (and I bet others here would agree).

AbBaZaBbA See Profile is spot on. All you know is SoCal for the most part. A few Months touring and living in other area's of the US, and even other areas of the world may show you how great your options really are.

If I were as fortunate as you, I would seriously consider finding a new area with a substantially lower cost of living, yet with a superior lifestyle environment, invest in long-term income real estate, and live like I was in Margaretaville. (...without the heartbreak)

No_Strings
Premium,MVM,Ex-Mod 2008-13
join:2001-11-22
The OC
kudos:6
said by dogma:

The no-spouse/no kids thing is HUGE. Take it from me (and I bet others here would agree).

I know one who would. The valley is just full of 25 year-olds.

RR Conductor
NWP RR Inc.,serving NW CA
Premium
join:2002-04-02
Redwood Valley, CA
reply to Postal
I am sorry Postal, I wish you the best in things and I hope you can get employment again soon!

Phil
Rojo Sol
Premium
join:2001-06-11
Downers Grove, IL
kudos:2
reply to Postal
Sorry to hear this.