how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

EdT

join:2009-06-12
Saint-Laurent, QC

Bhell 5242E DNS Question

Sorry, but I have another little question that troubles my little mind.

I am currently using a Bhell 5242E modem with Teksavvy, under the Web Configuration page it shows the Teksavvy DNSs which is not changeable, but I have Google DNS under my XP's ethernet connection. So which one is it really using ? I suspect it is using the Google DNS under my ethernet connection, if so then is the Google DNS going through Teksavvy's DNS causing a delay?

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18

Using Windows XP > Home and Small Business Networking
How to Configure Windows XP TCP/IP to Use DNS
Published: October 25, 2001
»www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/usin···dns.mspx
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

EdT

Saint-Laurent, QC

Doc I got to that, but my question is why does my 5242E's "Web Configuration" still show the Teksavvy DNS when I have the XP DNS set to Google DNS ?

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium
join:2005-01-20
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico

said by EdT:

Doc I got to that, but my question is why does my 5242E's "Web Configuration" still show the Teksavvy DNS when I have the XP DNS set to Google DNS ?

It's been awhile since I had that modem with Bell's dumb-dumb firmware, however I am very sure that "web config" refers do settings you have no control over (aka the Internet side of your modem). When your modem connects to your ISP (doing the PPPoE login), the ISP assigns you an IP, and also assigns DNS servers. This is the information that populates that page. You don't have any control over what your ISP will assign, however by taking the good doctor’s advice you can define your own choice at your computer and use them rather then you’re ISPs.

Sounds like you have only have a modem (no router) and configured the network setting in your OS to use DNS servers of your choice, by doing so the domain lookup will be done via that address. It is irrelevant what the modem is set for as those servers are not being used since you have configured a new primary and secondary address at your computer.

If you had a more functional firmware installed on that modem you could configure the local network settings to your choice of DNS server. Any machine that connects to the modem (acting like a modem router) would get a DHCP lease that would also include the DNS settings you wish, saving you the bother of manually change each machine.

EdT

Saint-Laurent, QC

Thanks Thane, that was the answer I was looking for, there is no user input in the BHell firmware for DNS entries. Overall I am still happy with the 5242E since it is working perfectly with my current needs and I save a couple bucks without having to get a new one.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18
reply to EdT

Don't know if this applies or not.

»Bell Canada Internet FAQ »How to solve DNS (server or site not found) issues

The 5200 has a place to set DNS, it is for the LAN side on the DHCP setup page. What you are looking at is the WAN side information.
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?