uniqs
share rss forum feed

MemphisPCGuy
Taking Care Business
Premium
join:2004-05-09
Memphis, TN

Modem Rental up to $7 - what is best docsis 3.0 modem to buy

$7 is to much to pay considering Ive had comcast for 5+ years So time to purchase a DOCSIS 3.0 modem .. what is the preferred one out there ? I am stand-alone internet.
--
Onsite Computer Support in Memphis
»www.memphispcguy.com

Tordek
Make the outages go away
Premium
join:2009-09-07
Great White
kudos:2
I'm personally having a love affair with the Motorola 6120 So It gets my vote.

»www.amazon.com/Motorola-SB6120-S···0&sr=8-1

$78 with free shipping... I'd have it if we were running config for the 6120....
--
If Tier II had there way.... a full node outage would be 3 people....

ctgreybeard
Old dogs can learn new tricks
Premium
join:2001-11-13
Bethel, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to MemphisPCGuy
I have a Motorola 6120 and am happy with it. There are some reports here about problems with getting your purchased modem authenticated on the cable. I had no trouble with mine (BestBuy at the local store) but eBay/Craigslist modems, for instance, may be a problem. I don't know if there is any way to "validate" a modem before you actually buy it but, apparently, if Comcast has the MAC assigned to someone else or, worse, has it listed as "stolen" then you're screwed.
--
Old dogs can learn new tricks!

Wayne99021
Premium
join:2004-12-28
Mead, WA
kudos:1
I am with you on buying the 6120 local at BestBuy, Staples or whatever brick and mortar store you have in your town.
Seems there have been problems with the ones bought online.
I would go for the SB6120 as it is rock solid.

RR Conductor
NWP RR Inc.,serving NW CA
Premium
join:2002-04-02
Redwood Valley, CA
reply to MemphisPCGuy
I have a Motorola SB 6120, though we still don't have DOCSIS 3 up here yet, I guess maybe this year sometime

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:10
said by RR Conductor:

though we still don't have DOCSIS 3 up here yet, I guess maybe this year sometime

Seems you never miss an opportunity to remind...

RR Conductor
Premium
Redwood Valley, CA
said by EG:

said by RR Conductor:

though we still don't have DOCSIS 3 up here yet, I guess maybe this year sometime

Seems you never miss an opportunity to remind...

Are you stalking me?

Ripper
Premium
join:2002-02-07
West Palm Beach, FL
reply to MemphisPCGuy
My Zoom 5341 has been Rock Solid for over 5 months,it also shows the config file name in the modem pages.

bandit8623

join:2004-09-08
Minneapolis, MN
reply to MemphisPCGuy
so the SB6120 doesnt show its config?

Ripper
Premium
West Palm Beach, FL
Click for full size
No,not in the status pages,sometimes you will see it in log when you get new firmware.Zoom 5341 config file, shown above on status page.

bandit8623

join:2004-09-08
Minneapolis, MN
reply to MemphisPCGuy
k, im thinking of picking up a doc3 modem. looks like both are good still cant decide lol.

the motorola is cheaper at best buy.

PGHammer

join:2003-06-09
Accokeek, MD
reply to Ripper

D3 Cable Modems - Zoom 5341 vs. Moto SB-6120

The SB-6xxx, like the SB-5xxx, shows it's config file on the log page, as it auto-checks the configuration file, and downloads a new one, every boot cycle.

Speaking of the Zoom D3 (5341) cable modem, how well does it perform on an upgraded Comcast system (compared to the SB-6120)? I am asking because the two cable modems largely differ in terms of availability, as opposed to price brick-and-mortar (the Zoom is available at MicroCenter, while the SB-6120 is a Best Buy standard). I will be going to MicroCenter (Fairfax, VA) this coming Monday (picking up cables and two games for my PC), and I'm wondering if I should also grab the Zoom while there (or stop by the Pentagon City BB on the way back for the SB-6120).

They are priced the same (including tax).

Ripper
Premium
West Palm Beach, FL
I had the SB6120 before I got the Zoom 5341 for the ability to see what config file you have right in modem pages.I see no difference in speed / pings / reliability.I am in a upgraded area, and have 3 downstream bonded(max this area).

EG
The wings of love
Premium
Union, NJ
reply to PGHammer
said by PGHammer:

The SB-6xxx, like the SB-5xxx, shows it's config file on the log page, as it auto-checks the configuration file, and downloads a new one, every boot cycle.

Hmmm. I never see it with the 6120 with the latest firmware.. I need to use the DHCPForce tool to see my bootfile.

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL
said by EG:

said by PGHammer:

Hmmm. I never see it with the 6120 with the latest firmware.. I need to use the DHCPForce tool to see my bootfile.

The only time it normally shows the bootfile is after a firmware update, until it's pushed out of the log.

BiggA

join:2005-11-23
EARTH

1 recommendation

reply to MemphisPCGuy

Re: Modem Rental up to $7 - what is best docsis 3.0 modem to buy

I have a Moto 5100 and it has been rock solid for 7 years and shows no signs of dying, so I would highly recommend the 6120 for a new purchaser.

Chris 313
Come get some
Premium
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Vonage
·Comcast
·Comcast Digital ..
said by BiggA:

I have a Moto 5100 and it has been rock solid for 7 years and shows no signs of dying, so I would highly recommend the 6120 for a new purchaser.

I agree. As of January 31, my 5100 will be 7 years old as well and is still ticking. When the upgrade comes down, I'll be replacing my trusted 5100 with a 6120 or better. If the 5100 could've handled the 50/10 speeds or higher, I would gladly keep my 5100 until it died.

rseiler

join:2001-11-01
reply to MemphisPCGuy
For those with a SB6120, what do you use to cover it? Does a tea towel work well? Or maybe you just hide it under the desk? I've read on various medical forums that laying eyes upon it for more than 30 consecutive seconds has been known to cause seizures or worse.

bikenski

join:2010-06-22
Denver, CO
said by rseiler:

For those with a SB6120, what do you use to cover it? Does a tea towel work well? Or maybe you just hide it under the desk? I've read on various medical forums that laying eyes upon it for more than 30 consecutive seconds has been known to cause seizures or worse.

I wouldn't advise putting a towel over the modem, as it will raise temperatures and likely shorten the lifespan. If the lights are bothersome, placing a strip of electrical tape over them would be far less likely to cause damage.

BiggA

join:2005-11-23
EARTH
reply to Chris 313
The current round of upgrades is going from 6/1 to 12/2- still well within the range of the 5100. There are no plans AFAIK, for anything above that unless you subscribe to a more expensive plan, so our 5100's are safe. I can't wait for the 12mbit, it's going to be amazing to sustain over 1MB/sec.

br0adbanddoc

join:2001-12-31
Wilkes Barre, PA
reply to MemphisPCGuy
SB6120 or SB6121s are the best bet.

rseiler

join:2001-11-01
reply to MemphisPCGuy
Although best of luck finding an SB6121. Does it work with Comcast? The only high-level differences seem to be that it looks better (no surprise there), Power saving Energy Conservation Switch
allows user to disable the modem when not in use (optional feature), and Internal Low Pass Filter to eliminate MoCA signal overload.

meowBB

join:2002-01-21
Hayward, CA
reply to MemphisPCGuy
My Moto SB6120 (HW ver.1) worked flawlessly for 1 year and 2 month before it died (link light kept flashing but couldn't get an ip). I am on my second SB6120 (HW ver.3) now. Hopefully, it is more reliable.

ronnie

join:2001-02-17
34. N 84.7 W
SB6120 and it is working great. I found it at WalMart for 77.00 and local Best Buy matched price.

Getting great and consistent speeds.
--
A good argument is spoiled when someone comes along that knows what they are talking about.

PGHammer

join:2003-06-09
Accokeek, MD
reply to BiggA
said by BiggA:

The current round of upgrades is going from 6/1 to 12/2- still well within the range of the 5100. There are no plans AFAIK, for anything above that unless you subscribe to a more expensive plan, so our 5100's are safe. I can't wait for the 12mbit, it's going to be amazing to sustain over 1MB/sec.

However, for anything above 12/2 (such as Blast), I would advise consideration of the 6120 or other D3 modem. The other reason I advise consideration of the 6120 even if you have Performance is if you have an existing wireless-N router, especially one with all-gigabit LAN/WAN ports (examples - all Linksys WRT-6xx, all Netgear WNR-35xx/WNDR-3xxx, including WNDR-3300/3700/37AV, etc.) as it takes the "weak link" out to the wireless connections, as opposed to the wired ones.

EG
The wings of love
Premium
Union, NJ
Click for full size
said by PGHammer:

However, for anything above 12/2 (such as Blast), I would advise consideration of the 6120 or other D3 modem.

CC themselves recommend this as well !

RR Conductor
Premium
Redwood Valley, CA

1 edit
said by EG:

said by PGHammer:

However, for anything above 12/2 (such as Blast), I would advise consideration of the 6120 or other D3 modem.

CC themselves recommend this as well !

That chart is wrong, you can get Blast! without DOCSIS 3, we get Blast! here with DOCSIS 2.0. I think the Chart Department People at Comcast need to recheck their charts

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA
kudos:3

1 recommendation

It's in their best interest to "require" DOCSIS 3.0 And quite frankly, in D3-capable areas, it's in everyone on the same node's best interest!
--
"Women. Can't live with 'em, pass the beer nuts." -Norm

RR Conductor
Premium
Redwood Valley, CA
said by pflog:

It's in their best interest to "require" DOCSIS 3.0 And quite frankly, in D3-capable areas, it's in everyone on the same node's best interest!

Require a 3 modem, yeah, that's fine, but you don't need one to get Blast!, you can get it in non D3 areas like ours without D3. They don't even have a schedule as to when we'll see it either, so for now people here in Mendocino County are fine with D2 Modems, and can get all tiers up to Blast!, which is the fastest they offer here anyway.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA
kudos:3

1 recommendation

Obviously it's not truly a requirement. Anyone who knows the capabilities of the various DOCSIS specs vs. what the Comcast speeds are can compute whether x <= y I'm just saying it's in everyone's best interest (in terms of network congestion and consistency of performance) to be on a D3 device if D3 is available, that's all.
--
"Women. Can't live with 'em, pass the beer nuts." -Norm