Search similar:

uniqs

Hesp
@fraserhealth.ca

Hesp

Anon

[BC] Question about Optik install

Hello everyone

I currently have a landline and Turbo internet with Telus and was just offered a good deal on Optik TV. Im concerned about the installation and equipment they use. In my office i have a two lines (one for internet and the other for the landline) and the internet line is connected to a Thomson Speedtouch then to my Linksys Wirelss N router.

If I go ahead with the Optik TV. Can the installer leave my internet setup as is and just run a new line from the outside to my living for the TV or do they have to do something else? Im not sure how Optk TV is installed. My internet setup is perfect and I dont want it touched. Do they split the internet and TV line from the outside panel that they will be putting in?

Thanks

pfak
Premium Member
join:2002-12-29
Vancouver, BC

pfak

Premium Member

Internet and TV run off the same VDSL2 modem/router combination.

Hesp
@fraserhealth.ca

Hesp to Hesp

Anon

to Hesp
ok so how would they install it then? I have POTS on the outside of the house? So they would combination router would be placed in my living room and then a CAT5 would be run from the router to my office?(which is not ideal)

pfak
Premium Member
Vancouver, BC

pfak

Premium Member

said by Hesp :

ok so how would they install it then? I have POTS on the outside of the house? So they would combination router would be placed in my living room and then a CAT5 would be run from the router to my office?(which is not ideal)

You will only have one POTS connection to your VDSL2 modem, your current Thompson Speedtouch will go away, and you will be given a new modem with built in router (wifi, NAT, etc.)

They may use the coaxial runs in your house to connect to your TV if it is not near your modem. Figuring out the wiring is the job of the installer.

Hesp
@telus.net

Hesp to Hesp

Anon

to Hesp
Thanks pfak, so they cannot separate the lines from the outside house junction. I was talking to a friend who use to work for Telus as a installer before TV/Optik came along and he said they can run the Cat5 or Coax from the junction box to my living room and just leave my current internet set up as is. Can this do this or is it frowned upon. Thanks
river_ratbc
join:2007-09-21

river_ratbc

chances are...your router can stay where it is. Sometimes we run coax from the modem to the cablevision box on the side of the house, and tie into the existing coax runs as they go to the existing tv sets.

Hesp
@telus.net

Hesp to Hesp

Anon

to Hesp
Hi River ratbc; my existing coax is very old (the old beige color-installed when the house was built 30yrs ago). I currently have Shaw analog on it and want to keep it so can they run a new coax line?
river_ratbc

river_ratbc

the installer can run a new coax or cat 5 wire. Be very specific when the tech arrives, that you want your Shaw service left as is.

hesp
@telus.net

hesp to Hesp

Anon

to Hesp
ok sounds good thanks
hesp

hesp to Hesp

Anon

to Hesp
Can i disable the WIFI on the Telus mode/router and use my own wireless router. I read somewhere you can put a switch inbetween the Telus router and your router

pfak
Premium Member
Vancouver, BC

pfak

Premium Member

said by hesp :

Can i disable the WIFI on the Telus mode/router and use my own wireless router. I read somewhere you can put a switch inbetween the Telus router and your router

Unless you get an Alcatel/ALU modem, you cannot put a switch between TELUS's router and yours. Actiontec is an all-in-one unit. Your option is to disable the NAT and DHCP functionality on your current wireless router, and hook both up via a cable on the switch part (as opposed to WAN)

Double NAT is bad (Connecting a NAT router to a NAT router), don't do it.

hesp
@fraserhealth.ca

hesp

Anon

Hmm ok, Do all the techs carry the Alcatel/ALU and Actiontec and can i pick which one i can use?

pfak
Premium Member
Vancouver, BC

pfak

Premium Member

said by hesp :

Hmm ok, Do all the techs carry the Alcatel/ALU and Actiontec and can i pick which one i can use?

No, not all the techs carry Alcatel modems. Only hoarders still have these old modems, and some of the contractors. Your chances of getting one are very slim.

hesp
@fraserhealth.ca

hesp

Anon

i guess it would be a hit and miss then. Does Telus do installs on the weekend? i would like to be home if they do so

pfak
Premium Member
Vancouver, BC

pfak to Hesp

Premium Member

to Hesp
Yes, but you have a high chance of getting a contractor and in my experience the real TELUS installers are much better.

hesp
@fraserhealth.ca

hesp

Anon

Yeah i remember now because Ledcor came in on a Sunday to do smoething on my line.

Hesp
@fraserhealth.ca

Hesp to Hesp

Anon

to Hesp
i just called Telus and to book the install but i asked the CSR about running a new line and they said they would charge me for the new line from the Modem(in my den) to the TV (in my living). they said its free installatoni when you have the existing Coax(shaw cable) but I dont even have that in my den. Is the CSR wrong? Am I missing something?

JammerMan79
Premium Member
join:2004-05-13
Prince George, BC

JammerMan79

Premium Member

the csr is wrong... free install to connect any ordered/purchased boxes (on the initial install order)

hesp
@fraserhealth.ca

hesp to Hesp

Anon

to Hesp
thanks;She talked to her coworkers and she said she is wrong. So its all good. Im booking the appointment and asking for ALU modem

Hesp
@fraserhealth.ca

Hesp to Hesp

Anon

to Hesp
She looked at order sheet and the ALU is no longer available since start of Dec so asked to put it in her notes for the tech to see if he can grab an ALU if not then the Actiontec is my only option
river_ratbc

river_ratbc

hesp...where are you located?

Hesp
@telus.net

Hesp

Anon

Hi River_ratbc

I'm located in Burnaby
river_ratbc

river_ratbc to Hesp

to Hesp
I saw the Fraserhealth email......if you were in the Abbotsford area, I may know of a way you can get an Alcatel-Lucent cellpipe modem.

Hesp
@telus.net

Hesp

Anon

thanks. Thats where I work but I live in Burnaby. Just hope the tech will have one on hand
Hesp

Hesp to Hesp

Anon

to Hesp
im most likely getting someone from Ledcor (correct me if im wrong) since my appt is on the weekend (Telus techs don't work on weekends - correct me again if im wrong)

bbbc
join:2001-10-02
NorthAmerica

bbbc to Hesp

to Hesp
If it wasn't for the unofficial souls (TELUS employees) here, I would have never gotten the service. I am not crazy with the overseas call centers, nor the hurdles to get it (Optik TV) installed the way you want, but I do like the product now that I've got it.

Stick to your guns, be polite, and tell the installer the way you want it. Obviously doing a run isn't the funnest of things to do (for an installer), but you are going to have to live with whatever is done. The free install is a one-time opportunity, make sure it is done right. If you have any inkling that you might want another room to have the service, do it now. I regret not putting it in the kitchen. You have a remorse period to return equipment, I was quoted twenty days.
rewrite2
join:2008-06-29

rewrite2 to Hesp

to Hesp
internet and optik tv on two separate lines is possible. I currently have telus high speed turbo on my secondary line with no phone # (dry loop) and optik tv/internet on my primary phone line with phone #. Our phone jack has two pairs of wires so no additional wiring was required. I have two internet connections at this moment (plan to cancel the turbo since optik internet is cheaper), but you can choose to have just optik tv without internet.

Hesp
@telus.net

Hesp to Hesp

Anon

to Hesp
Thanks guys.

when i had internet installed; the telus tech did install a POTS and then separated the phone and internet line so I have a wall plate in my office that has a phone line jack and a internet jack. Im assuming i will be keeping the same setup(upgrade POTS if needed) and then they would run another line(either coax or Ethernet) from my office to my living room where the TV
river_ratbc

river_ratbc to Hesp

to Hesp
said by Hesp :

im most likely getting someone from Ledcor (correct me if im wrong) since my appt is on the weekend (Telus techs don't work on weekends - correct me again if im wrong)

You're wrong. lol....Telus employees work shifts and work every other Saturday...just a handful work Sunday. Cheaper to pay contractors by the job, than Telus employees, time and a half for Sundays.

Hesp
@telus.net

Hesp

Anon

hehe. I know nothing :P