1 edit

4 recommendations

reply to Exit

Re: [ID?] Getting to know you part 2

Click for full size
Piloting.
Click for full size
Self portrait
Alright, I'm Andrew, 24, and from the San Francisco Bay Area. I too have lived in several countries, including South Korea, Canada, and France. I only just got back last week from spending a year in South Korea teaching English.

I began doing photography about 10 years ago. My first digital camera was a Canon Powershot G2 and my first film SLR was a Minolta SRT-201. Since then, I've owned a number of DSLRs including the original Digital Rebel, Canon 20D, Nikon D40, Canon 40D, and now the 1D Mark III. My first paid assignment was in 2003 and I've made money doing photography ever since then.

My work in photography includes numerous print publications including the California Aggie, California Beat, Groove Magazine (Seoul), and Good Morning Incheon (another Korea magazine). I worked for several years as an aerial photographer and co-pilot around the same time I was shooting and writing for the California Aggie. I am a licensed pilot, though not current. Just need to scrape together the cash to get my bi-annual flight review and some additional training.

Currently I consider myself more or less a freelance photographer, though my dream is to really get back into photojournalism and shoot full-time for a newspaper. I'm working with a friend to help get California Beat off the ground. He's already got a huge presence in California news but we're looking to notch it up even more and try to make a profitable business out of it. Helping to run a publication that I shoot for? A dream I hope to make come true.

Looks like the person I was going to tag, drew See Profile already gave his spiel. Any volunteers?
--
I am the Flying Photog, see my website accordingly named Flyingphotog.com. User known formerly as zakooldude.

badd
Premium
join:2001-10-04
De Queen, AR
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to badd

Since no one had volunteered I have tagged Robs440 and waiting to hear back from him.
--
Be good be kind be careful...Most of all be yourself!

robs440
Premium
join:2003-06-26
Orlando, FL

2 recommendations

Well I’m not much of one for giving info over the internet but let's see what we can do.

Used to live in the mountains most of my life, now I am living in the unbelievably humid south east. I was a working mechanic for years on cars, trucks, and heavy equipment back in the good old days. but working as an automotive consultant for several years now, which for obvious reason means using the hell out of a camera. unfortunately the various companies i work for are more interested in photo documenting damage and wear, and getting it down quickly...and small enough that it doesn’t slow down their servers, since there is about 500 guys across the country also doing it. I sometimes get an interesting job, and go out of my way to take the shots the way i want regardless of the way the company wants them!

But i get the weekends to take decent stuff, with an occasion to shoot something unusual during the day while out on the road such as gators sitting across the parking lot from me or a frog hiding in the back of an SUV. Sometimes however i think i need another memory card just for that so i don’t mix them up with my work shots!

I still have a Yashica 35MM SLR in the closet I break out once or twice a year for certain car shows, but haven’t found a decent developer here. I used the hell out of that thing when I first started this job in 1991; you know….back in the BDC dinosaur days (Before Digital Cameras). But in those days I needed more than 12 exposures and less than 24. I’m sure you old timers remember film rolls sold that way! I found a local retailer that sold custom made rolls cut in 18, 27, and 39 exposure rolls. The 18s were awesome for my job back then. Now a days most customer want a minimum of 30 shots, and we use an internet enabled PDA to upload the shots right from the job sight.

My my how times have changed!

badd
Premium
De Queen, AR
reply to badd

TigerNuutz has been tagged and should post soon.

Premium
join:2010-04-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to robs440

said by robs440:

I still have a Yashica 35MM SLR in the closet I break out once or twice a year for certain car shows, but haven’t found a decent developer here. My my how times have changed!

If you don't mind mailing your work these folks are great.

»www.dalelabs.com/

Wayne
--
A tree full of trained monkeys have my back.

badd
Premium
De Queen, AR
Reviews:
·Windstream

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to badd

Looks like TigerNutz decided not to post after all Anyone care to tag someone? He has been Ill but will post soon.
Tagged and replied so far..
KittyMom, Jkk. SueS, DowntheShore. Santa Fe
Gunga Din, Chuck22, Locutus65, GeekGirl1
usa2k, Dominokat, JRSlater, Badd, Coma, Ccat
krazyboi, Toodee2, Egeezer, Dream Killer, Drew
sonar riley, Dexter. Rdavis, Pistolpete, nklb
tmpchao, rusdi.,Gooiool, Channel one
Jodokast96, Wayne GphF, Rcroning, Pastormt
Charlie Brown, Bostechie, Rockhounds_5
Richdelb, Exit, Davisphotog, Robs440

--

robs440
Premium
join:2003-06-26
Orlando, FL
reply to 49528867

my works not good enough to justify the expense

badd
Premium
De Queen, AR
reply to badd

Looks like TigerNutz is still ILL so I have tagged Wyrdsister for next.
she should post soon.
--

WyrdSister
Premium
join:2003-05-18
Hamilton, ON

4 recommendations

reply to badd

Hi Folks!

My name is Deb and I live just outside of Toronto, Ontario and am a native Canadian ( I have a toque to prove it). I've spent several years in IT and was also employed in advertising as a traffic manager, sometimes responsible for graphic design and video rendering.

As a teenager, I became interested in photography when friends and I would take long Sunday drives, capturing things we would see along the way. I drifted away from photography when I became interested in web design and I still do some design as side projects for extra money from time to time. Photoshop CS4 is my weapon of choice for graphics, Premiere Pro for video and Flash for fun of all kinds. I am slowly getting back into photography as well but am undecided on my next camera purchase.

I love looking at all of the amazing contributions in the Artify and CE threads and contribute when I can. I'm not sure who to tag next, maybe 29886823 See Profile?
--
"Um, he's sick. My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious."

Premium
join:2005-03-29

1 edit

4 recommendations

reply to badd

Probably 70 years ago
Hi - I'm surprised that some of you consider me a member of DI at all. I was born and have lived in NYC for some 78 years, probably making me the oldest member here. I can remember developing and printing my first images right after WWII, and remember sun developing kits even before that. Photography was an early hobby for me, both 35mm and 2 1/4 square, and some of you will remember Federal enlargers, and Weston Master exposure meters. It wasn't until I got married, 51 years ago, that I got my first 'real' Nikon, a model F, followed by a couple of additional lenses, all of which were put to use taking mostly pictures of my three sons, the kind I usually object to seeing here in the gallery (I've always considered them personal, and not to be publicly displayed). For a while I used a Bronica, but gave it up as too cumbersome.
When we could afford it, we took trips to Europe, where I really began to have an interest in photographing 'places', which has remained with me to this day. As you may have gleaned over the years I've been here, the Gallery for me is a place to post the best I can, and seeing some bad imagery here still makes my blood boil, but nowhere to the degree it used to (live and let live). One of my real pleasures here is to see Galleries I haven't seen before and to discover more and more great images, especially those that lead me to try to emulate them in my own way.

I'll drop an IM to Bon Scott as my 'tag'.

Premium
join:2010-04-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

1 recommendation

said by 29886823:

Photography was an early hobby for me, both 35mm and 2 1/4 square, and some of you will remember Federal enlargers, and Weston Master exposure meters.

A Weston Master III and yes it still works, no batteries required either.

Wayne
--
A tree full of trained monkeys have my back.

bfreas
Premium
join:2001-06-16
Franklin, KY

1 edit

2 recommendations

reply to badd

Well, looks like I got the tap from mhhack. I'm surprised that mhhack thought of me to tag since I don't post here much anymore. I figure that there's a lot of folks here these days that know a lot more than I do about taking pictures, so I read more than talk

Anyway, I live in a small town in south central KY. Was born here, raised here and will probably die here just like my great-great-great-great-grandfather did in 1833. I've been in the commercial printing industry for 32 years doing jobs for JC Penney, Kohls, Sears, LL Bean, CVS and all those other newspaper stuffers. My official job title is Color Analyst and I'm responsible for getting the color right. A lot of our work now is getting a match of a printed book to a calibrated monitor.

In my spare time I'm a dad of two and a grandad of one. Like anything outdoors and in the woods, especially if it involves a camera Used to hunt and fish a lot, but find myself preferring the camera to the gun these days. Still go after turkeys in the spring. Also been a gym rat for the last 15 years. Lots of sore joints now that I'm 49 but can still bench press 400!

The photo is me with my first camera, probably around 1973. I'll be turning the big 5-0 this Saturday.

Anyone want to volunteer to be next? If I don't get a response by this time tomorrow I'll see what I can do about drafting someone!

Edit: Waiting on a reply....
--
Sunny 16 Camera Club

Charliebrown
Smile Its Nearly Friday
Premium
join:2001-07-17
Australia
reply to badd

I will be the first to jump in say bfreas See Profile Have a very Happy Birthday (half Century) on Saturday, and many happy returns.
--
If you cant fix it, then find something you can. If you cant find something then break something.

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium
join:2001-12-30
NirvanaLand

said by Charliebrown:

bfreas See Profile Have a very Happy Birthday (half Century) on Saturday, and many happy returns.

+1

--
. . . explore your fantasies . . .

badd
Premium
De Queen, AR
reply to badd

It has been awhile since bfrase has been on the site so I have tagged someone and waiting on their reply or post.
--

bfreas
Premium
join:2001-06-16
Franklin, KY

That's cool....I'm not having any luck finding someone anyway.

Paula
Premium
join:2000-10-12
Grand Rapids, MI
kudos:2

4 recommendations

reply to badd

Hi, my name is Paula. Most of you probably don't know me because I don't talk much but I have been here almost every day for 11 years. That's when I got my first computer.

I have lived in Grand Rapids, Michigan all my life. I am married and have 2 grown children and 6 grand children. My 2 sisters live here as well, as do their kids and grand kids. So we have 10 little ones to dote on and 1 more on the way. We all live within a mile of one another for which we are so thankful. I bake and share eight loves of bread twice a week , sometimes more, and hundreds of cookies. I really love to cook and bake.

So, by day I'm a cookie baking grandmother (actually I'm a Mimi) but my real love is Photoshop. I used to do a lot of photography with an old Argus and a Leica but after I got a computer I became hooked on photo restoration and manipulation and I love doing it.

I belong to Worth1000.com which is a great place for learning and competing with photo effects and photography and writing. You photographers should check it out. There are people there whose work will blow your mind. But there are also people of all skill levels. The link below is to my portfolio. I hope it works. It will give you an idea of what we do there.

click on "slideshow" at the top left:
»fx.worth1000.com/slideshow/entri···636/auto

If the first one doesn't work try this one:

»fx.worth1000.com/artists/pcysmit···tfolio/1
--
Bidden or unbidden, He is always present.

badd
Premium
De Queen, AR

That is some amazing work Paula you are so talented.

badd
Premium
De Queen, AR
Reviews:
·Windstream
reply to badd

Tagged so far
Richdelb, Exit, Davisphotog, Robs440, WyrdSister
Mhhack, Bfreas, Paula
--

lcdguy

join:2008-01-17

2 recommendations

reply to badd

Obviously lcdguy is not my real name. That is Mike. I am a late 20's IT worker by day and an amateur photographer by night. I also love to play around with technology of all kinds. I have been shooting for around 5 years so far as a hobby. I have had mostly digital camera's. I am currently in the capital of the Great White North.

As for other interests. I have been playing piano on and off for around 10 years and I also have an interest in movies and Remote Control models. (real models not those toys you get from radio shack).

I am also into video games (PC, Wii and PS3). I currently loathe any computers from Apple but love my Ipod Touch and Ipad Gen1

Here is the gear I have currently and have had in the past in order.

HP Photosmart DC215
Minolta Dimage Z1
Canon S3 IS
Canon Rebel XT
Canon S90 IS
Canon 50d

I also shoot with the following lens' and accessories

Canon 70-200mm F/4 L
Canon 17-85mm F/5.6 IS (kit)
Canon 50mm MKII F/1.8
Sigma 10-20mm F/5.6 Wide Angle
Sigma 28-135mm 1:2 F/5.6 Macro
Canon Speedlight 580EX II Flash
Skywatcher 6" Newtonian reflector (750mm) Telescope

You can view a gallery of my work at »proteous.dyndns.org which i host my self which will prove my IT geekery

badd
Premium
De Queen, AR
reply to badd

Looks like who ever lcdguy tagged isn't going to post so I have tagged someone and await their reply.
--

badd
Premium
De Queen, AR
reply to badd

Looks like everyone I have thought to tag are afraid to post things about themselves on the internet. Any volunteers?
--

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium
join:2001-12-30
NirvanaLand

Any volunteers?

. . . been there, done that.

pcdebb
RIP dadkins
Premium
join:2000-12-03
Brandon, FL
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Bright House

5 recommendations

reply to badd

I'll say a word since you insist

My name is Deborah and i'm somewhere between the age of 30 and 50 I've been a member of this site for 11 years and dont plan on going anywhere. I was born and raise in the good ole state of Florida. I lived in Seattle when i was 10 (was there when Mt St Helens released her fury) and lived in Texas for a year when I was in the Air Force.

I've been interested in photography for quite a while. Bought my first digital camera when they first came out. to be able to download the picture and print them made me so popular I got my first DSLR, a D40, a few years ago. Issues at home forced me to separate and I've wanted back in ever since. Just got me a new toy today (D3100) and I can't wait to get flicking again. I've always been loyal to Nikon and is probably the only brand of DSLR i'll ever own.

This time around i'm thinking of exploring more with portrait photography. I've always liked macro and will go for my first macro glass. the gallery will come back alive again soon with me taking shots of this and that to rediscover my zone
--
| map your city |

badd
Premium
De Queen, AR
Reviews:
·Windstream

Thank you pcdebb for your post. Would you tag someone for next up and im them about it please.

Those who have replied to date
Richdelb, Exit, Davisphotog, Robs440, WyrdSister
Mhhack, Bfreas, Paula, lcdguy, pcdebb
--

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-13
Scottsdale, AZ
kudos:24
reply to badd

How about mibagent_x »/profile/333778 ?

mibagent_x
Go giggle the handle
Premium
join:2001-03-04
Barnhart, MO

4 recommendations

Dang people have started to notice me. :P

My name is Tim and my occupation is a landscaper. I pretty much run my Dad's business. I am married with 2 kids, one four legged the other two, and live in the greater St. Louis area. I love to take things apart which sometimes gets me into trouble. I have always loved taking pictures but only started to have "good" hardware a few years back. Would also love to shoot more but work and my other "hobby" gets in the way. I am constantly working on my house but that is coming to a close God willing.

I shoot Pentax and probably always will glass isn't cheap and that's what I got a small collection of now. I want a good ultra wide lens for landscape and shoot Christmas lights but my taste is to expensive.

Apart from that I love computers went to ITT got a Assoc. in Computer Networking but never put it to good use, start pay was not good and I would have had to take a serious pay cut. So if you got computer issues .............. »Computer Hardware Help

There I think that covers most of it.

Tim
--
Back-ups? We don't need no stinking ba$%*()%%!$#`~&%(&)^%^*....
Connection lost] Abort Retry Fail

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-13
Scottsdale, AZ
kudos:24

Thank you so much. It's cool to have you part of this thread. And, yes, you are noticed and put on notice that we are enjoying your images.

krazyboi
Premium
join:2008-06-27
Mckinney, TX

1 recommendation

reply to mibagent_x

said by mibagent_x:

Apart from that I love computers went to ITT got a Assoc. in Computer Networking but never put it to good use, start pay was not good and I would have had to take a serious pay cut.

Man I went to ITT and ended up going for the Elec Engr'g Assoc. I think it was before they added the Computer Networking (think it was just EE and AutoCAD back then). I thought I was going to get a job with one of these big silicon companies in austin, texas, but ended up working for ATT doing telecom

DeltaElite
We Dont Dial 911

join:2002-03-29
Tucker, GA
Reviews:
·AT&T Southeast

said by mibagent_x:

I thought I was going to get a job with one of these big silicon companies in austin, texas, but ended up working for ATT doing telecom

Sorry.....

Thats kinda how I landed..... 2326 days till I get my 30 years in and it cant be soon enough.
--
Protect your right to keep and arm bears!