Re: [ID?] Getting to know you part 2

With permission... I hereby tag sonar riley See Profile

sonar riley
Premium
join:2002-09-12
Renton, WA

2 recommendations

reply to badd

Good morning from the west coast! And thank you for your patience. The last 24 hours have been crazy and I am just now getting back to sane, or at least my version of sane.

My name is Erin and I have been posting here on Dslreports.com for a number of years. I played Socom with the BBR group along with a few MMO's over the years, and dabbled in photo a few years ago with the DI group.

As you may have seen in my posts I recently came back with a vengence. I now have a Canon 7d, 15-85mm, 70-200mm L and a 50mm lens in my bag and I am readdicted.

I have been married to my wonderful wife for almost 13 years and we have two wonderful kids.

I travel for my job and in the past year i have been cameraless in Germany, S. Korea and Hong Kong. This year I have Singapore and Brazil targeted, along with many spots in the US so I should be sharing shots from some exotic amazing places.

I will be sharing quite a bit and welcome input and advice as I learn the camera and higher end photography that I feel I am now able to accomplish, not only with eye, but technology.

I tag Dexter, who was invaluable to my selection of equipment, but also is a great show http://www.dslreports.com/useremail/u/855243

Dexter
Premium
join:2003-08-07
Beverly, MA
kudos:1

2 edits

4 recommendations

Click for full size
Canon EOS-1D Mark IV
135mm 1/800th F2.8 ISO640

Apparently I've been tagged :P

I'm not a big fan of writing about myself... My name is Rob. Dexter is my late dog's name, where my nick comes from. I live on the north east coast of Massachusetts with my wife (of 6 years), Son (4), Daughter (3) and a big goofy yellow Lab, Tucker.

I work with Mainframe computers. It's not the most glamorous job, but it allows me to spend time at one of my favorite places. I enjoy all types of photography, but love the challenge of wildlife photography the most. It can be extremely time consuming, and quite expensive, but I find it very satisfying to find, and photograph animals that many have never even seen out in the wild.

I'll leave you all with a very rare photo of me, and send an IM to my tag victim to make sure it's ok with them to be tagged
--
My Pbase Gallery

pcdebb
RIP lil hurricane
Premium
join:2000-12-03
Brandon, FL
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Bright House

Dexter See Profile, I'm a huge fan of your animal pics, especially the owls.
--
| map your city |

Dexter
Premium
join:2003-08-07
Beverly, MA

1 recommendation

reply to badd

I'm officially tagging rdavs See Profile. I'm a huge fan of her work
--
My Pbase Gallery

rdavs
Premium
join:2002-11-21
Tucson, AZ
kudos:4

10 recommendations

Yup, that's me!
As many of you know, my name is Rhonda and I live in Tucson Arizona… with my husband of 32 years, a 16 year old Golden Retriever and a young frisky mixed breed pup (which we got to keep the old dog company). I own a cockatiel named Spike that chirps every time I sneeze. I'm told my sneezes sound like a cat (maybe that's why the cockatiel chirps). I have three adult sons; two are married and have seven crazy amazing grandchildren. Wow I'm beginning to feel old! I don't color my hair yet. I'm a computer geek; I can fix, upgrade and remove computer viruses and am always working on friends and family member's computers. I'm not shy, and have been told I could talk to a rock (especially if the rock is interested in photography). I have a dark sense of humor, and love action adventure and scary movies and hate chick flicks. I am a good cook, but can't sew on a button on a shirt, but I can work on your car! I think you should start a meal with desert and if you have room left then eat your meal. I began photography when I was seven with a cheap 35mm film camera that I used to take photos of my Barbie's! LOL! My day job I'm an office manager at an RV Park and my weekend job… I'm a photographer for the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum. I often lose all sense of time with a camera in my hand…

rdavs
Premium
Tucson, AZ
reply to Dexter

I am truly honored!

JRSlater
What's that smell? Oh, it's you.
Premium
join:2008-01-11
Out There

1 recommendation

It's nice to finally meet the person behind those amazing images.
--
»www.jrslaterphotography.com/

sonar riley
Premium
join:2002-09-12
Renton, WA

1 recommendation

Agreed! Thank you to Dexter for taking my poor hand-off and sharing with us, good to know a little more about you.

And Rhonda - I have long admired your shots on here too!

rdavs
Premium
Tucson, AZ
reply to badd

I am officially tagging an amazing artist Pistolpete!

Pistolpete
Premium
join:2006-03-06
4,000 Holes

2 recommendations

Thanks for the tag and compliment Rhonda

Well, my name is Pete.I was born 55years ago come 5Th February in the city of Liverpool.After meeting my wife(Margaret) on a lads night out,I ended up moving to her home town of Blackburn to start a new life,and this is where I still reside today.I have a daughter of 30 who has just purchased her own house and hopes to move in fairly soon .I worked for a local company for 30 years and then I was made redundant,and I have been in and out of work ever since.But at this moment,I am happily building trucks for Leyland Daf,though I’m only on a temporary contract, I hope that will soon change as things appear to be picking up over here.My hobbies are, you guessed it,photography and computing and dragging my wife to all parts of the UK looking for that perfect shot.Though she likes getting out and about,she says once you’ve seen one waterfall/castle you’ve seen them all,aah bless her cotton socks:).If things really go well for me job wise,I’m hoping to get over to the states again this summer,which will be great as I really enjoyed my last visit back in 2004.

Yeh the cutie in the picture is really me,back in the days when I had hair:)

I have just Im someone to see if they will co-operate in this interesting thread.Will post back as soon as I hear.
--
»www.flickr.com/photos/peter_ireland/

As I get older I think I am developing more patience. Turns out I just don't give a SHIT!

Pistolpete
Premium
4,000 Holes
reply to rdavs

Said by rdavs See Profile

quote:
I think you should start a meal with desert and if you have room left then eat your meal
I thought I was the only person who thought that.You're a woman after my own heart.
--
»www.flickr.com/photos/peter_ireland/

As I get older I think I am developing more patience. Turns out I just don't give a SHIT!

Premium
join:2010-04-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL
kudos:3
reply to Pistolpete

said by Pistolpete:

Yeh the cutie in the picture is really me,back in the days when I had hair:)

Yea I remember having that at one time too.

Wayne
--
A tree full of trained monkeys have my back.

rdavs
Premium
Tucson, AZ
reply to Pistolpete

Pistolpete
Premium
4,000 Holes
reply to Pistolpete

You have been tagged Hiker See Profile

badd
Premium
join:2001-10-04
De Queen, AR
Reviews:
·Windstream

2 edits

2 recommendations

reply to badd

Pistolpete has informed me thaat he has tagged and contacted someone besides Hiker so we shall see.
Here is a list of the ones who have been tagged and replied so far.
KittyMom
Jkk
SueS
DowntheShore
Santa Fe
Gunga Din
Chuck22
Locutus65
GeekGirl1
usa2k
Dominokat
JRSlater
Badd
Coma
Ccat
krazyboi
Toodee2
Egeezer
Dream Killer
Drew
sonar riley
Dexter
rdavis
Pistolpete
nklb
tmpchaos

--
Be good be kind be careful...Most of all be yourself!

badd
Premium
De Queen, AR
reply to badd

Pistolpete has ask me to tag someone so I am tagging MarkAW. I have IM'd him and waiting on a reply
--

badd
Premium
De Queen, AR

1 edit
reply to badd

MarkAW has stated he did noy want to post in this threqad so I have asked nklb and await his reply.
--

nklb
Premium
join:2000-11-17
Ann Arbor, MI
kudos:2

3 recommendations

Click for full size
Canon EOS 5D
35mm 1/8th F4.5 ISO3200

Since I am always the one behind the lens, I almost never appear in photos! I wish I had thought to smile for this one.
Hello, my name is Nick.

I'm a 27 year old computer nerd who dabbles in photography. I have two cats, Macro and Pixel.

I work for a prominent network security company, and have quite an interest in data forensics. Some of you may remember my recent experiences helping people with data recovery here in the forums: Corrupt images and more recently, Corrupt filesystem

I never really had much experience with photography growing up. Sure, I made a pinhole camera for school, and sure I owned a few film cameras. However, I never really developed an interest until the digital age came about. Probably had more to do with the cost of film than anything!

When I shoot photos, it is primarily for fun. I have made a bit of money selling images on stock photo sites, but not as much as I have put into the hobby. I enjoy all types of photography, though I would have to say that my favorite style would have to be macro shots. Just take a look at my favorite two gallery submissions for examples: Little spider and Big spider

As for what gear I use, I have been a bit indecisive. This, of course, has proven a bit costly. I have bodies and lenses from Nikon, Canon, and Pentax. And I use them all! I have been focusing a bit more on my Canon gear lately, though, as I begin to acquire higher-end equipment. However, I have positive things to say about all brands (and a few negative things as well!)

Overall I have a very positive outlook on life, and am more than willing to help people through any issues they may have, be they technical or personal in nature.

If I'm supposed to tag someone, it may as well be the resident mod, tmpchaos See Profile

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Co-Lead Mod
join:2000-04-28
Hoboken, NJ
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

1 edit

3 recommendations

You just had to do it, didn't you. They all told you not to, but you refused to listen. Did you really think it would do any good? Well, after careful consultation with my lawyers, I'm allowed to link to a terribly outdated FAQ entry ( »All things Macintosh »Your Host ) and to post an altered image:

I'll tag rusdi See Profile
--
***ATMFAQ***DIFAQ***Kitchen Sink***

rusdi
American V
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-28
Flippin, AR

4 recommendations

Click for full size
OLYMPUS uD600,S600
11.5mm 1/125th F4.2 ISO100

My son & me. (I'm the silly one)
Hi folks, I'm Russ.
Let's see..... I've lived in Texas most of my life, 'till recent.

I started my working life at the tender age of nineteen, when I joined the USAF. I retired after twenty years, eighteen of those flying C-130 E/H models as a flight engineer. Sometime during my military career, I married my wife Diane, and we have one son, Michael.

I then started a business that was pretty unique in the field, got really lucky and managed to grow it to the point I had to hire twenty employees.
After eight years doing that, I got tired of "life on the road" and sold my business.

I've had a couple of other jobs that were in a "technical" field when I got so bored sitting 'round the house I was going stir-crazy.
My wife and I now have a home in the Ozarks in North Central Arkansas, and we both love it here.

I have always been interested in photography, even though I was never very good at it. I've owned many film 35mm cameras from Minolta (range finder type), Yashica, and the last Olympus OM-1.

I now own Pentax K-10D, and K-20D. Love 'em!!
I sometimes got lucky and produced a few nice film pictures, but when I went "digital" I had to throw out everything I had previously learned.

Thanks for listening to me talk 'bout myself.

I absolutely LOVE viewing all the Gallery photos, and say THANKS to those who share 'em!

Guess I'll tag one of my favorite macro/nature photographers,
Gooiool See Profile
--
"Spread my wealth"? I think NOT!!

Gooiool
May God bless you.
Premium
join:2006-11-27
Fort Smith, AR

1 edit

5 recommendations

NIKON COOLPIX L3
6.3mm 1/60th +1.3ev F3.2 ISO200

Taken a few years back

PENTAX K10D
180mm 1/80th F7.1 ISO100

A 1 to 2 cm jumping spider

Well hello to all ...
A little about myself , I started film when I was sixteen .With a Pentax K1000 , moved on to a Nikon FG.
I was lucky enough to have a school that offer a photography class . And I took in as much of the class in as I could . I did a local internship with the local newspaper and funded my photography with weddings .
Most of my work was in black and white , because it was cheaper to buy the film and develop it yourself back then . Most of the wedding shots were done in color .
Then came my own wedding and a year later my first son. So from then on I spent 20+ years working in the "salt mines " so to speak.
For a few years I still did the occasional wedding and portrait work.
As my gear got older and my life/marriage got more expensive. I slowly stop doing photography for others .
I always wished for some new equipment and high dollar lenses .
So after having Diabetes for 20+ years the things they tell you might happen to you DID ... Neuropathy was the first major problem to set in then the loss of some vision was not to far behind .
So I said to myself I'd better start getting the things I've always wanted to have before it was to late...
So a few years ago I bought my first DSLR a Pentax K10 , and some Sigma lenses. Now I have moved on to a Canon 7D and some L-glass . But still love macro work so I had to get a new Sigma macro lens And a real set of tubes .
Macro photography was always an interest for me , but never had the money for the equipment until a few years ago .
It always amazed me , All the things we miss to see , that are right underneath us all along.

I'll tag 49528867 See Profile
--
Team DiscoveryJoin us help fight cancer.
Gooiool©2005 My Photo Site

Premium
join:2010-04-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL
kudos:3

3 edits

4 recommendations

I am honored and humbled by the invitation.

Of my many hobbies imaging, or more specifically photography is the one I really have the most fun with and being a brat spoiling that fun was one of the trepidations I have always had when it came to the idea of making a living with photography, it’s a fear and maybe just a touch of laziness which goes a long way to explaining why until I have steadfastly remained an independent as doing so has allowed me to work when I wanted to and to starve when I didn’t. It was a perfect synergy that fed me well at times while not gaining too much weight.

It all began when I was somewhere around fourteen or so years old which is a period of time that can only be described as a long, long time ago, I was in junior high and signed up for journalism which unlike creative writing allowed for a great deal of freedom outside of class.

My “assigned” job was to photograph develop and print school events mostly sports events even though our “photography department” didn’t have any cameras, none the less I owned a TLR of questionable heritage and it became our “official” camera.

For each assignment a cameraman or two would be issued a single roll of Tri-X and a purple mimeographed page of the event from which we where expected to bring back the winning shot and once in awhile we did.

It was fun work very addictive (think chicks) and it got me in the door as an unpaid assistant at a local studio and carried me through high school, then I hit 18 and the parental funding ended so to speak.

I had to get a job a paying job and many jobs did I get none of which I liked nor cared much about, then as it would be my luck turned.

I set the TLR aside and graduated to a 35mm having purchased a like new Honeywell Pentax SLR, it was a rather rugged camera which served me very, very well and at around the same time I discovered through a friend the concept of stringing, which turned out to be a real game changer, it allowed me the freedom to come and go as I pleased I was working outside and it afforded me the privilege to work with some of the best photographers in town, one of whom rather frankly explained to me my work left a lot to be desired though that isn’t quite how he worded it.

Again luckily for me, we where both single, had a work hard, play hard, drink hard attitude and chased women, occasionally the same one and this friendly competition turned into a lifelong relationship and a mutual learning experience for all things photographic and beyond.

In time I moved from the Pentax to a Canon T-50 then on to the T-70 which like the Pentax served me very well, then came this crap called digital, I had a chance to try out a Canon 1D at a shop in Miami and even though after reviewing the shots which I quickly determined where considerably below 35mm film it was a digital version of a Polaroid on steroids it provided no waiting instant results and I saw it as a serious time saver and a leg up on anyone shooting silver, I busted the bank and bought one.

A couple of years later I inadvertently used my 1D as a boat anchor and even though the camera was quickly recovered drained and dried, it came back from Canon with a note which should been on a hook stating “Sorry Charlie” though they where able to refurbish the lens that went in with the camera, go figure.

Since then I have had a couple of 10D’s and now work with a matched set of 1DMKII’s and I avoid water like the plague.

Then there’s video which many camera folks consider voodoo, I began getting serious with it around 2000 after picking up a Panasonic AJ-DP800 which was a wonderful 3CCD SVHS shoulder held camcorder, it like my other cameras served me well though after burning out a drum it finally bit the dust beyond it’s worth and was later replaced with a couple of JVC GY-HD200/250s, I decided to jump on the HD bandwagon for two reasons the first one being FOX News made it clear to their affiliates once they changed over to HD the use of non-HD content would curtailed which means no pay and the sales of HD sets was rising steadily which to me indicated they where being widely accepted and 4:3 would soon become passé.

Then last year we added a Panasonic AJ-HDX900 and a couple of 7D’s, and as the old saying goes so much for any form of retirement in my near future.

Next up Jodokast96. He gonna kill me...

Wayne
--
A tree full of trained monkeys have my back.

Jodokast96
Stupid people really piss me off.
Premium
join:2005-11-23
Erial, NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL

3 recommendations

Nah. If I wanted to kill you, you'd already be dead.

Sorry for the delay. Most everything about me can be found here »Re: Spotlight On! [Tag your it] from the last time we did this, so I'll just give some updates.

Four years later, and not a lot has changed. The hobbies have pretty much stayed the same, though I'm not into the computers quite as much since I've been more into photography, having come into it later in life. I still work for the same company, but now in a management role, and I've also started laboring a little for a good friend that has a handyman business. Same house, though a bathroom flood a few years ago started the endless cycle of home renovations that's taking up more of my shooting time, and has also led to the temporary suspension of my nail gun privileges (how was I supposed to know there was a pipe in that wall I just painted?). The family has had a couple of minor changes. Beauty has since left us, as I shared in our Pet Memorial thread. Tagger has since joined us, and was featured in last week's Artify #325, hosted by my oldest daughter, who already has a better eye for this stuff than I probably ever will. I'm still at the stage where pulling off a good shot is considered luck on my part. The bulk of my shooting involves landscapes, any events involving my family and friends, and any fire scenes I happen across, though I think I'd like to get a little more into portrait work. That's all that's coming to mind for now, but if for some strange reason you want to know more, just ask.

So now, who do I tag? So many to choose from. I think I'm going to take some inspiration from waynegphfx's recent return and see if I can't get an old timer that hasn't been around in a while to come back into the fold. What do you say pog4 See Profile?

Jodokast96
Premium
Erial, NJ

No response as of yet, so I've contacted a second member.

Jodokast96
Premium
Erial, NJ

Waiting on #3 now.

Dream Killer
Graveyard Shift
Premium
join:2002-08-09
Forest Hills, NY
reply to tmpchaos

said by tmpchaos:

You just had to do it, didn't you. They all told you not to, but you refused to listen. Did you really think it would do any good? Well, after careful consultation with my lawyers, I'm allowed to link to a terribly outdated FAQ entry ( »All things Macintosh »Your Host ) and to post an altered image:

img

I'll tag rusdi See Profile

you owe me tool points for using my picture =O.

i kid

waynegilbert
Blessed
Premium
join:2004-09-26
Brooklyn, NY

5 recommendations

reply to badd

I'm sure everyone knows my story here. My name is Wayne, 102 years old. I reside in Brooklyn with my wife and son YaaY for little man. I've been clean and sober for 11 months now lol oops wrong group Actually clean from wasting money on gear. All of it goes to my son and his future. YaaY again to one of the most amazing kids on the planet. Sure we all say that about our kids. Anyhoo,

My reason for dropping off the planet was to help raise my son oops and the recession killed my day job thanks assholes. So I decided to return to my love of photography to share my work with all. I'm mostly on facebook where I motivate others to lose weight and stay healthy.

*disclaimer: I don't drink it was a poor attempt at humor*

JRSlater
What's that smell? Oh, it's you.
Premium
join:2008-01-11
Out There

1 recommendation

Nice to "meet" you again, Wayne. Kids are amazing aren't they? Be careful though, they seem to have a hidden power to alter time itself. Before you know it, they'll be off to college.
--
»www.jrslaterphotography.com/

badd
Premium
De Queen, AR
Reviews:
·Windstream

1 recommendation

reply to badd

said by badd:

Last year or the year before a similar thread was posted here and I am thinking we should update it.
I will start by tagging someone and they will introduce themselves and tell as much about their life as they see fit.
A picture would also be nice. That person will then tag the next person of their choice and notify them by IM.
I tag KittyMom to start.

Wayne GphFx haas ask me to tag someone for him so I will tag Rconning and waiting on his reply.
--