Re: [ID?] Getting to know you part 2

NIKON COOLPIX L3
6.3mm 1/60th +1.3ev F3.2 ISO200

Taken a few years back

PENTAX K10D
180mm 1/80th F7.1 ISO100

A 1 to 2 cm jumping spider

Well hello to all ...
A little about myself , I started film when I was sixteen .With a Pentax K1000 , moved on to a Nikon FG.
I was lucky enough to have a school that offer a photography class . And I took in as much of the class in as I could . I did a local internship with the local newspaper and funded my photography with weddings .
Most of my work was in black and white , because it was cheaper to buy the film and develop it yourself back then . Most of the wedding shots were done in color .
Then came my own wedding and a year later my first son. So from then on I spent 20+ years working in the "salt mines " so to speak.
For a few years I still did the occasional wedding and portrait work.
As my gear got older and my life/marriage got more expensive. I slowly stop doing photography for others .
I always wished for some new equipment and high dollar lenses .
So after having Diabetes for 20+ years the things they tell you might happen to you DID ... Neuropathy was the first major problem to set in then the loss of some vision was not to far behind .
So I said to myself I'd better start getting the things I've always wanted to have before it was to late...
So a few years ago I bought my first DSLR a Pentax K10 , and some Sigma lenses. Now I have moved on to a Canon 7D and some L-glass . But still love macro work so I had to get a new Sigma macro lens And a real set of tubes .
Macro photography was always an interest for me , but never had the money for the equipment until a few years ago .
It always amazed me , All the things we miss to see , that are right underneath us all along.

I'll tag 49528867 See Profile

rusdi
American V
MVM
join:2001-04-28
Flippin, AR

4 recommendations

rusdi to tmpchaos

MVM

to tmpchaos
Click for full size
OLYMPUS uD600,S600
11.5mm 1/125th F4.2 ISO100

My son & me. (I'm the silly one)
Hi folks, I'm Russ.
Let's see..... I've lived in Texas most of my life, 'till recent.

I started my working life at the tender age of nineteen, when I joined the USAF. I retired after twenty years, eighteen of those flying C-130 E/H models as a flight engineer. Sometime during my military career, I married my wife Diane, and we have one son, Michael.

I then started a business that was pretty unique in the field, got really lucky and managed to grow it to the point I had to hire twenty employees.
After eight years doing that, I got tired of "life on the road" and sold my business.

I've had a couple of other jobs that were in a "technical" field when I got so bored sitting 'round the house I was going stir-crazy.
My wife and I now have a home in the Ozarks in North Central Arkansas, and we both love it here.

I have always been interested in photography, even though I was never very good at it. I've owned many film 35mm cameras from Minolta (range finder type), Yashica, and the last Olympus OM-1.

I now own Pentax K-10D, and K-20D. Love 'em!!
I sometimes got lucky and produced a few nice film pictures, but when I went "digital" I had to throw out everything I had previously learned.

Thanks for listening to me talk 'bout myself.

I absolutely LOVE viewing all the Gallery photos, and say THANKS to those who share 'em!

Guess I'll tag one of my favorite macro/nature photographers,
Gooiool See Profile

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Numquam oblitus
join:2000-04-28
Hoboken, NJ

1 edit

3 recommendations

tmpchaos to nklb

Numquam oblitus

to nklb
You just had to do it, didn't you. They all told you not to, but you refused to listen. Did you really think it would do any good? Well, after careful consultation with my lawyers, I'm allowed to link to a terribly outdated FAQ entry ( »All things Macintosh »Your Host ) and to post an altered image:

I'll tag rusdi See Profile

nklb
Premium Member
join:2000-11-17
Ann Arbor, MI

3 recommendations

nklb to badd

Premium Member

to badd
Click for full size
Canon EOS 5D
35mm 1/8th F4.5 ISO3200

Since I am always the one behind the lens, I almost never appear in photos! I wish I had thought to smile for this one.
Hello, my name is Nick.

I'm a 27 year old computer nerd who dabbles in photography. I have two cats, Macro and Pixel.

I work for a prominent network security company, and have quite an interest in data forensics. Some of you may remember my recent experiences helping people with data recovery here in the forums: Corrupt images and more recently, Corrupt filesystem

I never really had much experience with photography growing up. Sure, I made a pinhole camera for school, and sure I owned a few film cameras. However, I never really developed an interest until the digital age came about. Probably had more to do with the cost of film than anything!

When I shoot photos, it is primarily for fun. I have made a bit of money selling images on stock photo sites, but not as much as I have put into the hobby. I enjoy all types of photography, though I would have to say that my favorite style would have to be macro shots. Just take a look at my favorite two gallery submissions for examples: Little spider and Big spider

As for what gear I use, I have been a bit indecisive. This, of course, has proven a bit costly. I have bodies and lenses from Nikon, Canon, and Pentax. And I use them all! I have been focusing a bit more on my Canon gear lately, though, as I begin to acquire higher-end equipment. However, I have positive things to say about all brands (and a few negative things as well!)

Overall I have a very positive outlook on life, and am more than willing to help people through any issues they may have, be they technical or personal in nature.

If I'm supposed to tag someone, it may as well be the resident mod, tmpchaos See Profile

badd
Premium Member
join:2001-10-04
De Queen, AR

1 edit

badd

Premium Member

MarkAW has stated he did noy want to post in this threqad so I have asked nklb and await his reply.
badd

badd

Premium Member

Pistolpete has ask me to tag someone so I am tagging MarkAW. I have IM'd him and waiting on a reply
badd

2 edits

2 recommendations

badd

Premium Member

Pistolpete has informed me thaat he has tagged and contacted someone besides Hiker so we shall see.
Here is a list of the ones who have been tagged and replied so far.
KittyMom
Jkk
SueS
DowntheShore
Santa Fe
Gunga Din
Chuck22
Locutus65
GeekGirl1
usa2k
Dominokat
JRSlater
Badd
Coma
Ccat
krazyboi
Toodee2
Egeezer
Dream Killer
Drew
sonar riley
Dexter
rdavis
Pistolpete
nklb
tmpchaos

Pistolpete
Premium Member
join:2006-03-06
4,000 Holes

Pistolpete

Premium Member

You have been tagged Hiker See Profile

rdavs
Premium Member
join:2002-11-21
Tucson, AZ

rdavs to Pistolpete

Premium Member

to Pistolpete
49528867 (banned)
join:2010-04-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

49528867 (banned) to Pistolpete

to Pistolpete
said by Pistolpete:

Yeh the cutie in the picture is really me,back in the days when I had hair:)

Yea I remember having that at one time too.

Wayne

Pistolpete
Premium Member
join:2006-03-06
4,000 Holes

Pistolpete to rdavs

Premium Member

to rdavs
Said by rdavs See Profile
quote:
I think you should start a meal with desert and if you have room left then eat your meal
I thought I was the only person who thought that.You're a woman after my own heart.
Pistolpete

2 recommendations

Pistolpete to rdavs

Premium Member

to rdavs
Thanks for the tag and compliment Rhonda

Well, my name is Pete.I was born 55years ago come 5Th February in the city of Liverpool.After meeting my wife(Margaret) on a lads night out,I ended up moving to her home town of Blackburn to start a new life,and this is where I still reside today.I have a daughter of 30 who has just purchased her own house and hopes to move in fairly soon .I worked for a local company for 30 years and then I was made redundant,and I have been in and out of work ever since.But at this moment,I am happily building trucks for Leyland Daf,though I’m only on a temporary contract, I hope that will soon change as things appear to be picking up over here.My hobbies are, you guessed it,photography and computing and dragging my wife to all parts of the UK looking for that perfect shot.Though she likes getting out and about,she says once you’ve seen one waterfall/castle you’ve seen them all,aah bless her cotton socks:).If things really go well for me job wise,I’m hoping to get over to the states again this summer,which will be great as I really enjoyed my last visit back in 2004.

Yeh the cutie in the picture is really me,back in the days when I had hair:)

I have just Im someone to see if they will co-operate in this interesting thread.Will post back as soon as I hear.

rdavs
Premium Member
Tucson, AZ

rdavs to badd

Premium Member

to badd
I am officially tagging an amazing artist Pistolpete!

sonar riley
Premium Member
join:2002-09-12
Renton, WA

1 recommendation

sonar riley to JRSlater

Premium Member

to JRSlater
Agreed! Thank you to Dexter for taking my poor hand-off and sharing with us, good to know a little more about you.

And Rhonda - I have long admired your shots on here too!

JRSlater
What's that smell? Oh, it's you.
Premium Member
join:2008-01-11
Out There

1 recommendation

JRSlater to rdavs

Premium Member

to rdavs
It's nice to finally meet the person behind those amazing images.

rdavs
Premium Member
Tucson, AZ

rdavs to Dexter0

Premium Member

to Dexter0
I am truly honored!
rdavs

10 recommendations

rdavs to Dexter0

Premium Member

to Dexter0

Yup, that's me!
As many of you know, my name is Rhonda and I live in Tucson Arizona… with my husband of 32 years, a 16 year old Golden Retriever and a young frisky mixed breed pup (which we got to keep the old dog company). I own a cockatiel named Spike that chirps every time I sneeze. I'm told my sneezes sound like a cat (maybe that's why the cockatiel chirps). I have three adult sons; two are married and have seven crazy amazing grandchildren. Wow I'm beginning to feel old! I don't color my hair yet. I'm a computer geek; I can fix, upgrade and remove computer viruses and am always working on friends and family member's computers. I'm not shy, and have been told I could talk to a rock (especially if the rock is interested in photography). I have a dark sense of humor, and love action adventure and scary movies and hate chick flicks. I am a good cook, but can't sew on a button on a shirt, but I can work on your car! I think you should start a meal with desert and if you have room left then eat your meal. I began photography when I was seven with a cheap 35mm film camera that I used to take photos of my Barbie's! LOL! My day job I'm an office manager at an RV Park and my weekend job… I'm a photographer for the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum. I often lose all sense of time with a camera in my hand…

Dexter0
Premium Member
join:2003-08-07
Beverly, MA

1 recommendation

Dexter0 to badd

Premium Member

to badd
I'm officially tagging rdavs See Profile. I'm a huge fan of her work

pcdebb
birdbrain
Premium Member
join:2000-12-03
Brandon, FL

pcdebb to Dexter0

Premium Member

to Dexter0
Dexter0 See Profile, I'm a huge fan of your animal pics, especially the owls.

Dexter0
Premium Member
join:2003-08-07
Beverly, MA

2 edits

4 recommendations

Dexter0 to sonar riley

Premium Member

to sonar riley
Click for full size
Canon EOS-1D Mark IV
135mm 1/800th F2.8 ISO640

Apparently I've been tagged :P

I'm not a big fan of writing about myself... My name is Rob. Dexter is my late dog's name, where my nick comes from. I live on the north east coast of Massachusetts with my wife (of 6 years), Son (4), Daughter (3) and a big goofy yellow Lab, Tucker.

I work with Mainframe computers. It's not the most glamorous job, but it allows me to spend time at one of my favorite places. I enjoy all types of photography, but love the challenge of wildlife photography the most. It can be extremely time consuming, and quite expensive, but I find it very satisfying to find, and photograph animals that many have never even seen out in the wild.

I'll leave you all with a very rare photo of me, and send an IM to my tag victim to make sure it's ok with them to be tagged

sonar riley
Premium Member
join:2002-09-12
Renton, WA

2 recommendations

sonar riley to badd

Premium Member

to badd
Good morning from the west coast! And thank you for your patience. The last 24 hours have been crazy and I am just now getting back to sane, or at least my version of sane.

My name is Erin and I have been posting here on Dslreports.com for a number of years. I played Socom with the BBR group along with a few MMO's over the years, and dabbled in photo a few years ago with the DI group.

As you may have seen in my posts I recently came back with a vengence. I now have a Canon 7d, 15-85mm, 70-200mm L and a 50mm lens in my bag and I am readdicted.

I have been married to my wonderful wife for almost 13 years and we have two wonderful kids.

I travel for my job and in the past year i have been cameraless in Germany, S. Korea and Hong Kong. This year I have Singapore and Brazil targeted, along with many spots in the US so I should be sharing shots from some exotic amazing places.

I will be sharing quite a bit and welcome input and advice as I learn the camera and higher end photography that I feel I am now able to accomplish, not only with eye, but technology.

I tag Dexter, who was invaluable to my selection of equipment, but also is a great show http://www.dslreports.com/useremail/u/855243

drew
Radiant
Premium Member
join:2002-07-10
Port Orchard, WA

drew

Premium Member

With permission... I hereby tag sonar riley See Profile
drew

5 recommendations

drew to badd

Premium Member

to badd
Thanks for the nod, Dream Killer See Profile, G whatever

My name is Drew, shocker, I know. It's actually Andrew, however there were 4 other "Andrews" in 6th grade. They all liked to be called Andy and the teachers followed suit with me. Two weeks in (new school for me...) I'd realized that I wanted absolutely nothing to do with any of them, so I became "Drew."

I was born in South Eastern Idaho. I lived there about a year before moving to San Diego. I lived there until the end of my Kindergarten year at which point I moved to the smallest town I've ever lived in, Mayer, AZ. We lived in a trailer and then upgraded to the "Ritz", the only actual house in the trailer park. I was in 2nd grade for two weeks when we moved to Dardanelle, AR. I was there for three months then moved to Ola, AR. Finally, after about 9 months we moved back to San Diego, CA. I lived in Ocean Beach until half-way through 7th grade when I finally moved in with my dad and step-mom after some trouble my mother had gotten herself into caught up with her.

I, in late August of 2001, moved to Port Orchard, WA where I currently reside. I was absolutely crushed to move as I was convinced I was leaving the best place I'd ever known. I'd actually met friends. I grew accustomed to the area and ended up not hating it so much. In the summer before my senior year of high school, I got a job at a movie theatre ( »[Tech] Just got Hired ). I've grown a lot since that day, in many, many ways. It was there I worked for a girl who I pursued relentlessly that ended up leading me to Christ. I've been married to her coming up on 5 years this April.

In 2008 I became a father. »(Serious) I am going to be a dad! of a wonderful girl. My latest photo in the gallery is a portrait of her.

In late August of 2011, I should be holding a new baby. My wife is about ten weeks along.

I currently work in IT for a government contractor for the Department of the Navy. I work help desk though I'm actively pursuing better opportunities within the contract. I've worked for a national bank, managing staff and running the operations side of the branch. We bought our house the same year. I was only 19.

My family has told me I was a 50 year old trapped in a X year old body since I was a little kid. I think that's probably true.

In my free time, I'm a World of Warcraft junkie (yeah, I know) and love to take pictures. I'm not much of a creative person, but photography is one of the few "creative" outlets I've ever tried that is even remotely successful for me.

Here's probably my all-time favorite picture of me when I'm not with someone else.

Bear with me while I locate someone to tag. I'd ideally like to find someone who may be "newer" to the forum

Dream Killer
Graveyard Shift
Premium Member
join:2002-08-09
Forest Hills, NY

1 edit

6 recommendations

Dream Killer to badd

Premium Member

to badd
Lol I actually didn't want to write anything about myself but might as well go for it.

My first name is Gian, which people just call me G because 95% of the time it's pronounced wrong. Born and raised in the Philippines and moved to USA in 1995. I recieved a masters degree in electrical engineering but somehow ended up working at a small doctor's office in the field of medical/surgical imaging.

I'm no professional photographer but for as long as I can remember I've been holding a camera. My father poisoned me with his Nikon F2 and a few rolls of Kodachrome 64 when I was about four. Ever since then, I was never without a camera.

My other serious passion other than photography is mountain biking which I took up in 2004. I've always loved cycling next to photography and it's a lot more fun than jogging every night to keep healthy.

Here's my first ever self-portrait I took when I was five:

Nikon F, 50mm, f/8, Kodachrome 64

I'll tag drew See Profile next!

EGeezer
Premium Member
join:2002-08-04
Midwest

4 edits

2 recommendations

EGeezer to badd

Premium Member

to badd
Ah, thought I'd posted about myself somewhere before - here 'tis!

»Re: Spotlight On! [Tag your it]

Dream Killer See Profile, you're up! IM to you just in case.

EDIT -
updated text - photo still good

Well, raised a country boy in southeast Ohio, married over thirty years to my lovely bride, whom I met while in college. We have a daughter, happily married,a masters in library science and enjoying working in her field in South Carolina.

I've done lots of things, among them the following; Auto mechanic, gas station attendant (remember when we cleaned the windshield, checked fluids, air in the tires as part of a fillup?).

Also, well driller, tool and die mechanic, pinsetter and pinspotter mechanic, (Brunswick and AMF), NCR serviceman, methods engineer for a manufacturer of power utility transformers and regulators (Wayne, ever run across Line Material round wounds?). These got me money to get through college with a degree in Business, major in Electrical Engineering, minor in mathematics. Go Bobcats!

A marketing rep with whom I played snooker steered me to IBM and a 25 year career and a buyout with early retirement. I retired twice more, and now freelance with a great group of customers and colleagues in a field I love. I also get to do a little grunt work helping track down bad guys and keeping them from doing bad things.

Recreation? In addition to my freelancing, I socialize, travel, hike, bike, fly acrobatic kites, canoe and also do what others here like to do. I love good music of most kinds,especially jazz, bluegrass, mountain and Irish, classic movies and legitimate theatre. I like working on things. I'm an information junkie, so the internet is my friend.

Toodee2
Premium Member
join:2009-04-06
canada

2 recommendations

Toodee2 to krazyboi

Premium Member

to krazyboi
said by krazyboi:

Sorry you 2, I pm'd Toodee2 and didn't think you wanted to 'play', so I went ahead and pm'd Dream Killer also....

I was busy shoveling snow so I wasn't at my comp. for a day.....& here I was writing it off to a "senior moment"....LOL....

Sorry Dream Killer...... ......
krazyboi
Premium Member
join:2008-06-27
Mckinney, TX

1 recommendation

krazyboi to badd

Premium Member

to badd
Sorry you 2, I pm'd Toodee2 and didn't think you wanted to 'play', so I went ahead and pm'd Dream Killer also....

Dream Killer
Graveyard Shift
Premium Member
Forest Hills, NY

Dream Killer to Toodee2

Premium Member

to Toodee2
said by Toodee2:

said by Dream Killer:

i got skipped!

Ooops!.....get on krazyboi's case Dream Killer......he pm'd me.... ....

lol it's cool, its no biggie

Toodee2
Premium Member
join:2009-04-06
canada

Toodee2 to Dream Killer

Premium Member

to Dream Killer
said by Dream Killer:

i got skipped!

Ooops!.....get on krazyboi's case Dream Killer......he pm'd me.... ....

Dream Killer
Graveyard Shift
Premium Member
Forest Hills, NY

Dream Killer to badd

Premium Member

to badd
i got skipped!