spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

paulinsnh

@myfairpoint.net

[modem/router] No ISP w/Actiontec gateway

Late last Summer I subscribed to Fairpoint DSL service and was provided with a WESTELL 6100 modem. Since I wanted wireless for the house and not wishing to have multiple boxes I purchased an Actiontec GT724WGR wireless DSL gateway. Well to make a very long story shorter I have been unable to get an ISP connection. I have a solid green DSL light but cannot get an internet connection. My VPI/VCI settings are correct, I have PPPoE selected and IP addressing is DHCP. My guess is that the problem lies with the modem not being able to secure an IP address for some reason. I tried resetting the modem and disconnecting it for 24hrs to no avail. Username and PW are correct. The Actiontec doesn't appear to have the ability to clone a mac address so that option was not available to test. Needless to say Fairpoint customer service was of little use. I am expected to pay them for service since they do not support my modem. Actiontec customer service was equally ambivalent pointing the finger at Fairpoint. The 6100 works fine and otherwise I have no problems with the service except for being anchored to the modem with a CAT 5. I have gone well beyond my capabilities to troubleshoot this problem and am about to give up on the Actiontec. I thought before doing so that I would send out a plea for help to those who are better versed in these matters than I am. I would appreciate any constructive advice. Thank you.

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
Reviews:
·G4 Communications
·Fairpoint Commun..
·Hollis Hosting

Got a little confused by your port, If I understand correctly:

1) The Verizon supplied Westell 6100 modem/router works fine when connected directly to the DSL line.

2) The Actiontec GT724WGR does not allow PCs to get on the Internet but you are able to access to router configuration from at least one PC since you set various parameters.

Quick check of the user guide:
»support.actiontec.com/doc_files/···.0.x.pdf

What is the DSL status? See page 12 of the manual. That should indicate why you are not able to connect.

/tom

paulinsnh

@myfairpoint.net

Click for full size
downloadOutput.pdf 107,173 bytes
Tom, you understand the problem correctly. I did as you suggested, see attached, but other than the obvious (that I don't have a WAN IP and my PPP status is Not Connected) I don't see the root cause.

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
Milford, NH

said by paulinsnh :

I don't see the root cause.

If you press the "connect" button what happens?

/tom

paulinsnh

@myfairpoint.net

Nothing

pas

@myfairpoint.net
reply to paulinsnh

Connect the Actiontec direct it is a modem and router.

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
Milford, NH
Reviews:
·G4 Communications
·Fairpoint Commun..
·Hollis Hosting

said by pas :

Connect the Actiontec direct it is a modem and router.

Good point had not thought of that. Do not think that is the problem as router shows sync.

Both devices include a modem so only one should be connected at a time.

/tom

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
Milford, NH
Reviews:
·G4 Communications
·Fairpoint Commun..
·Hollis Hosting
reply to paulinsnh

said by paulinsnh :

I don't see the root cause.

Are you sure your username/pw are correct? The link makes it look like myFairpoint is cutoff. I'm an old Verizon customer so I'm still using Verizon.net.

The modem is syncing (so low level stuff is OK). ATM looks OK 0/35 (VPI/VCI).

/tom

paulinsnh

@myfairpoint.net
reply to tschmidt

Yes, the Actiontec is direct connected, not through the Westell. I re-entered the username and PW just today to make sure that they were correct but to no avail. It doesn't make sense to me.

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
Milford, NH
Reviews:
·G4 Communications
·Fairpoint Commun..
·Hollis Hosting

said by paulinsnh :

It doesn't make sense to me.

Low level stuff is working problem is PPPoE session is not active.

There should be some sort of logging. See if that sheds any light on the problem. Should be some sort of error message about why PPPoE session failed.

/tom

paulinsnh

@myfairpoint.net

downloadsys log.txt 1,660 bytes
I attached the Sys Log captured during an attempted connection. The was one error recorded but I don't understand its meaning.

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
Milford, NH
Reviews:
·G4 Communications
·Fairpoint Commun..
·Hollis Hosting

The early stuff is assigning PC on LAN an IP address.

This does not look good but I have no idea what it means:
" 0:00:59 Elapsed Time webcm: set error: message= :There is no module `asterisk`:"

Perhaps part of the firmware is corrupt or missing.

The remainder is establishing the PPPoE session.
PADI - your router is sending a request to DSLAM. Either should have received an offer from the DSLAM or your router should have timed out and tried again.

Interesting there is nothing on the log about setting up the DSL connection itself and reporting connection stats.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Point-to-P···8PADT.29

I'm at a loss to explain what it going on but it appears something is wrong with the router. Can you take it to a fried who has Fairpoint DSL and see if it works?

/tom

paulinsnh

@myfairpoint.net

Thanks for all your help Tom. I may focus my attention on the router for a bit more before throwing in the towel. In the meantime I will look for another all-in-one box as a replacement. Any suggestions

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
Milford, NH
Reviews:
·G4 Communications
·Fairpoint Commun..
·Hollis Hosting

said by paulinsnh :

Any suggestions

Our home network is hardly bleeding edge technology.

I use a Netopia 3346 modem/router, running in a basement wiring closet, that I purchased on eBay several years ago and an EnGenius ECB-3220 Access Point on the second floor purchased new.

If you are interested I've written about its evolution since it began in 1998 with a few drops sharing a dialup connection.
»www.tschmidt.com/writings/HomeLAN2009.htm

/tom

pas

@myfairpoint.net
reply to paulinsnh

The Actiontec is plugged direct to the phone jack with no filter and all other phones,dvrs,ect have filters and the dsl light is steady?What is the internet light doing?And I assume since the westell works that you're user name and password dose not contain admin or password.If in fact the modem is defective a new one can be provided by Fairpoint, at a decent price even.

paulinsnh

@myfairpoint.net
reply to tschmidt

OK, you're no going to believe this. I had the Actiontec powered up and connected to the DSL line. Solid green DSL light, no internet light, just like always. The power cord is plugged in to the Westell but the modem is powered off. I removed the DSL line from the Actiontec leaving it powered on, plugged it into the Westell and powered it up. It connected to the internet like usual. I then removed the DSL line from the Westell and immediately reconnected it to the Actiontec and after a minute or two I had a solid green DSL light and a solid green internet light!!! What's up with that?! I am posting this through the Actiontec. There are ghosts inide that gateway.

pas

@myfairpoint.net

Sounds like the Actiontec is not requesting an ip automatically when the Westell was assigned an ip and you moved it to the Actiontec it carried.Maybe ??? Sounds like you are on to something.

paulinsnh

@myfairpoint.net

Actiontec has agreed to replace the gateway. Hope to have the new one late next week. I'll let you know how it works out.

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
Milford, NH
Reviews:
·G4 Communications
·Fairpoint Commun..
·Hollis Hosting

said by paulinsnh :

Actiontec has agreed to replace the gateway.

That is great, be interesting to see what happens.

Have no idea why moving the phone line between modems allowed the Actontec to work. That caused sync to be lost and regained along with the PPPoE session. Should be no different then just powering up the Actontec. Maybe some sort of strange power up problem with the Actontec when connected to phone line.

/tom

paulinsnh

@myfairpoint.net

Well I'm sorry to say that the new gateway did not resolve the problem. New hardware, same result. I've given up and am now looking for a wireless router. Thanks to everyone for your inputs.