Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

toast

@comcast.net

3 edits

[Caps] the dreaded call - 1,817G

Click for full size
I got the call too.... dear god i hope at&t can come through on this. Comcast ... , i hate that company.

Despite the ridiculous cap, it disturbs me that on the site they try to hide the actual speed and over emphasize the "turbo boost" speed. WOW you can download really fast for 10mb.....

Also, ALL speeds are subject to the 250gig cap, with 25Mb/s you can reach that in about 30 hours..

Ken
Premium,MVM
join:2003-06-16
Markle, IN

Re: the dreaded call

Uh Wow, what did you do to change your usage by such a massive amount?

Idydude

@comcast.net
reply to toast

You're kidding? You are crying because you got called for using 1,817Gb (More than 7 times allowed cap) in December and it looks like you are headed there this January?

RR Conductor
NWP RR Inc.,serving NW CA
Premium
join:2002-04-02
Redwood Valley, CA
kudos:1
reply to toast

With services like Netflix streaming coming on strong, these caps are going to be blown past by a lot of people. I think Comcast is going to have to rethink their low caps, either that or they are going to end up calling people day and night.

espaeth
Digital Plumber
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-21
Minneapolis, MN
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to toast

Comcast Business Services

Plans start at $59.95
No cap

RR Conductor
Premium
Redwood Valley, CA

said by espaeth:

Comcast Business Services

Plans start at $59.95
No cap

Can you change to business online, or do you have to call? Are there any fees associated with changing? Thanks!

espaeth
Digital Plumber
Premium,MVM
Minneapolis, MN
Reviews:
·Vitelity VOIP

said by RR Conductor:

Can you change to business online, or do you have to call? Are there any fees associated with changing? Thanks!

You have to call, and there are installation fees associated with the business accounts. (which vary depending on the length of the contract you sign) My understanding is that in the billing system they basically disconnect you as a residential customer and add you as a new business customer.

RR Conductor
Premium
Redwood Valley, CA

said by espaeth:

said by RR Conductor:

You have to call, and there are installation fees associated with the business accounts. (which vary depending on the length of the contract you sign) My understanding is that in the billing system they basically disconnect you as a residential customer and add you as a new business customer.

Thanks! I'll have to call them and find out, if they want a bunch of fees and contracts, it probably isn't worth it for us.

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
join:2001-08-25
Kendall, FL
reply to toast

What changed in your Internet habits from November to December?

Expand your moderator at work

Tordek
Make the outages go away
Premium
join:2009-09-07
Great White

2 recommendations

"Officer i think this is completely unacceptable that you are ticketing me for doing 210 in a 30 zone... I know it's 7 times over what is allowed.. but this is still COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE... I want your badge number so i can report you"

-- Common analogy for anyone breaking AUP/TOS and then feeling like they are the victim
--
If Tier II had there way.... a full node outage would be 3 people....

mustang50
Premium
join:2005-05-06
Roseville, MI

2 recommendations

reply to toast

Re: the dreaded call - 1,817G

Only victims are the other people on his node.

RR Conductor
Premium
Redwood Valley, CA
reply to toast

With things like streaming HD on Netflix and Directv On Demand, not to mention Comcast's own streaming video, how on Earth do they expect to keep those caps where they are? Either they are going to have to up them, or spend all their time going after people. See, that makes no sense to me, they want us to consume, yet when we do they get mad, crazy logic if you ask me.

noisefloor

join:2010-05-09
reply to toast

Really? 1.8TB of data? We have radiology clinics and DAS fiber customers who don't do that much throughput.

Toast

@comcast.net

2 edits

1 recommendation

reply to Tordek

i am not crying because they have a policy and i broke it, i an frowning upon their shady business practices. Everything about the advertisements are smoke and mirrors.

for example:

They go out of the way to emphasize a price that will go up in six months, they only tell you the speed with "power boost" which lasts only the first 10mb, and they have no mention of the 250GB cap! I dont think anywhere on the site does it tell you what the actual speed is. I am only paying for the "15Mbs" plan which is actually 12Mbs and i STILL hit their D/L cap in about two days!

The difference with power boost is completely negligible so it makes no sense to advertise ONLY that speed and not the actualy sustained DL/UL speed.

The people with the "Extreme 50" plan are the ones who are really getting ripped off. Its actually 100$ per month after six months and only consistanly D/Ls at 30-35Mbps! And on top of that you can hit the DL cap with that speed in less than 1 day!

They even encourage "households with multiple computers" "hard core gamers" "downloading HD movies" but make no mention of a 250GB cap that you can hit in 1/30th of the month!! Im sorry but i am only 1 person living alone, households with multiple computers can EASILY hit the cap without even trying. It's not out and out illegal since Comcast hides everything you need to know in the fine print, but they are very obviously trying to mislead/purposely not being forthcoming about information!

i just finalized with AT&T and i will be getting a faster connection and NO CAPS (150GB/day here i come!). Any of you who want to overpay and under-receive as well as support a shady company its your dollars....spend them however makes you happy!

[mod edit --- made image display without blowing out margins --- fatness]

espaeth
Digital Plumber
Premium,MVM
Minneapolis, MN
Reviews:
·Vitelity VOIP

1 edit

2 recommendations

said by Toast :

The people with the "Extreme 50" plan are the ones who are really getting ripped off. Its actually 100$ per month after six months and only consistanly D/Ls at 30-35Mbps!

Nope, Extreme 50 is 50mbps without Powerboost, and according to reports here the speed is consistently achievable in most markets. I definitely saw 50mbps consistently when I had it.

said by Toast :

Anyways, i don't care, i just finalized with AT&T and i will be getting a faster connection and NO CAPS (150GB/day here i come!).

Great, enjoy!

Oedipus

join:2005-05-09
reply to Toast

said by Toast :

The people with the "Extreme 50" plan are the ones who are really getting ripped off. Its actually 100$ per month after six months and only consistanly D/Ls at 30-35Mbps!

That's quite a statement from somebody who doesn't have the 50 meg service.

Tordek
Make the outages go away
Premium
Great White
reply to espaeth

Espaeth what script is that! that is beautiful i love how it's graphing your speed.
--

espaeth
Digital Plumber
Premium,MVM
Minneapolis, MN

It's Cacti which uses RRDTool to generate the graphs -- I use a linux box as my NAT/gateway router.

Tordek
Make the outages go away
Premium
Great White
reply to Toast

said by Toast :

Anyways, i don't care, i just finalized with AT&T and i will be getting a faster connection and NO CAPS (150GB/day here i come!).

You seem to be crying over the policy as the subject of your post was The dreaded Call - 1,817G (Otherwise it would of been something along the lines of Powerboost inaccurate results)..

While be it that AT&T does not have a listed cap, you can be damn well sure in there acceptable use period they have a "excessive usage" clause... and you can be sure if your exceeding a TB /month then you will most likely be a candidate for that clause.

And no, I am not a Comcast Employee.. I'm a viewer of this board that shakes his head when i see complaints about a 250GB cap being unfair. You don't believe how badly I WISH i had a cap of 250GB a month... (Try having 60GB and $1.50 per GB over....)

--

Again, Lastly Espaeth is right... You are wrong about the provisioned speeds, and if you look at your screenpost you can clearly see the with PowerBoost
--

Oedipus

join:2005-05-09
reply to espaeth

Click for full size
RRD in pfsense 2.0B4

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA
kudos:3
reply to Tordek

Click for full size
said by Tordek:

Espaeth what script is that! that is beautiful i love how it's graphing your speed.

I roll my own rrd script to do something similar
--
"Women. Can't live with 'em, pass the beer nuts." -Norm

mustang50
Premium
join:2005-05-06
Roseville, MI
reply to Toast

Yeah right, AT&T is so much more honest and reliable.
Your going to need a batch of lawyers to get through their fine print.
BYE BYE and thanks for changing.

jaymz668

join:2002-03-21
Bloomington, IN
reply to Toast

said by Toast :

i am not crying because they have a policy and i broke it, i an frowning upon their shady business practices. Everything about the advertisements are smoke and mirrors.

They do seem to go out of their way to advertise these low rates and make it much harder to find what the non promo prices are. It should be right next to the line where it mentions the price is good for 6 months, and then mention the price afterward.

But what can you expect from a company that can't even maintain a list of channels I receive according to the package I am subscribed to?

fiberguy
My views are my own.
Premium
join:2005-05-20
reply to RR Conductor

They really don't need to re-think anything as I think they already did.

The company already realized that people want to buy an inexpensive data line (comparative) and cram all three services through the one line and they don't want that. (I'm not saying I agree with it, I'm saying that it's most likely their thinking)

Even at 250gb, a fair amount of Netflix streaming can be done every month. But, I'm sure that their re-thinking will ultimately be a D3-wide capable network which will signal the start of caps AND overages. In other words, for a change / step this massive it will have to come with a nationwide network that's ready to handle the shocking price change. By then, too, I'm sure DSL will also see a rise in price or change in billing model.

I think the re-thinking of the low caps will not only be seen by Comcast and other cable companies, but other ISPs as well.

fiberguy
My views are my own.
Premium
reply to RR Conductor

espaeth is correct. And, you will find that you'll get a pretty heavy installation fee, a slightly higher monthly fee, but you WILL have to sign a contract. There is no ETF.. you're signing up for an agreement to keep the service for the time you select. You drop out, you still pay the remainder.

When/If you were to change over, it would be like calling a different provider to serve you, only the name of the company is the same. The two customer service departments don't communicate with each other.

fiberguy
My views are my own.
Premium
reply to Toast

said by Toast :

(150GB/day here i come!). Any of you who want to overpay and under-receive as well as support a shady company its your dollars....spend them however makes you happy!

[mod edit --- made image display without blowing out margins --- fatness]

150gb a day huh? wow. but hey, it's your life and health.

As for over paying and under-receive as well as supporting a shady company... you're VERY VERY VERY right about that! .. it's why quite a few people don't like AT&T. The only reason they have the customer base they do is because they purchased them. Cable doesn't seem to have a hard time getting AT&T's customers either.

By the way, I think you confused Icarus.. he both approved and gave you the thumbs down. lol

fiberguy
My views are my own.
Premium
reply to jaymz668

I do believe that many people here are in fact intelligent. I mean, many people post these great graphs, perform these data calculations, AND also have the need or desire to download 150gb a day of data.. I mean, THAT alone proves and shows that someone's got some brains rattling around between their ears, right???

... so one has to wonder why their stoopid genes kick in when it comes to clicking on the offer terms link (something pretty common to simply surfing the web) and read that small paragraph of what the plan's terms are. Clearly, there is a promotional rate.

Further, that stoopid gene strikes again when it comes to someone picking up the phone, calling Comcast and asking the following:

1) What is the monthly rate after the promotion?

2) What is the actual speed with out power boost.

3) Is there a monthly cap on the service? (this seems to be pretty common that ALL ISPs have either toyed with, or have what's considered to be an acceptable use limit)

The answers to these questions are easily answered by any rep you ask.

Further, people have to stop going by the advertisements.. and the web is just that. Its designed to generate curiosity and convert the viewer into a customer. It still doesn't stop the consumer from asking questions or from taking the time to read those pesky terms.

I will admit that you have to look a little more to find the full story, but that doesn't change the fact that the information IS there, and it's not a shady practice.

I do think that a major portion of people here that post about these providers being mis-leading are rabble-rousing because it's pretty clear that they either 1) already know the answer, because they've clearly posted it. or 2) know how to find the answer or have the ability TO seek out the answers, because they also clearly have done so. The big question is "when are people going to learn to apply the seek-out-the-answers part of the game PRIOR to ordering the service, and not after the fact?

fiberguy
My views are my own.
Premium
reply to RR Conductor

Re: the dreaded call - 1,817G

said by RR Conductor:

With things like streaming HD on Netflix and Directv On Demand, not to mention Comcast's own streaming video, how on Earth do they expect to keep those caps where they are? Either they are going to have to up them, or spend all their time going after people. See, that makes no sense to me, they want us to consume, yet when we do they get mad, crazy logic if you ask me.

They want you to consume? lol - No they don't.. they clearly said that when they gave everyone a 250gb cap.

Netflix isn't their service.. Comcast doesn't want you running to another provider and saturate their internet service all while the consumer gladly gives their money to other businesses. Meanwhile, too, these are the same customers, who want to pay less to Comcast while getting their services elsewhere, while leaving Comcast with the expense to constantly invest in increasing capacity TO handle that traffic.

The short answer.. they expect you to keep your traffic under 250gb, as they say 99% of their customers do, by NOT getting your services from other customers and use THEIR video services.. pretty simple.

unoriginal
Premium
join:2000-07-12
San Diego, CA
reply to toast

Wow. Did the OP discover full Blu-Ray rips were available on the net between Nov and Dec? And you still expect to do 150GB/day with AT&T? I sure hope it isn't a residential Uverse connection as I had a buddy that did more than a TB/mo a couple times in a row and got a call and a few emails from AT&T about his usage. I sure hope you can afford a biz connection because that might be your only choice soon.